www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old November 30th, 2019, 08:32   #1
fizrat scampy

TDI(s): 2005 Jetta
Default WVO in extreme cold

Anyone out there use a 2 tank WVO system in very cold winters? Like MN, Dakotas, Canadian Prairies? I'm talking lows down to -40 C a few times a year.

I'm assuming the WVO lines will usually gel overnight... does the coolant circulation system ungel it enough to run WVO without clogging the filter? Would you have to strap the coolant and WVO lines together and maybe wrap them together with pipe insulation so that the heat from coolant will ungel the lines between the tank and engine? Would that even be enough? I'm new to this kind of winter so I don't have much intuition about how things behave when it gets that cold!

If anyone out there has practical experience with this climate and setup, I'd love to hear it. I've got a couple of salvaged Plantdrive kits I'd like to put to use.
fizrat scampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 13:34   #2
atc98002
Veteran Member

Yes, you need the coolant lines to be wrapped with the WVO lines, unless you use electric heating elements to warm the WVO lines. Might even take a combination of both at those low of temps. Also, since a diesel engine takes much longer to warm up in cold weather, it's possible that the WVO lines never liquefy enough to be used for shorter trips around town.

No personal experience with WVO, but I've read this forum for a very long time.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 19:23   #3
fizrat scampy

Oh yeah, heat elements or heat tape might be a good idea too.

I installed a Frostheater a few weeks ago, pleasantly surprised by how quickly it heats up the coolant, so that would give a good head start.
Old November 30th, 2019, 21:22   #4
philngrayce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/43/49 ('02 Jetta 5 sp)

I’m not sure how the Plantdrive kit is set up. I had Greasecar kits, which have the fuel line inside the coolant line. It’s a clever idea, and works very well. I live in CT (lowest temps 0 F) but frequently travelled to Vermont and New Hampshire, where I’d see temps as low as 30 below F). The system worked just fine no matter how cold. As soon as the engine was up to normal temperature, the oil was warm enough to flow and I could switch.

In the Greasecar kit, the fuel filter is wrapped in copper coolant line. I added insulation over the filter, and also had a Vegtherm, an electric in line fuel heater. I never had any temperature related WVO problems. In fact, I had more trouble with diesel in the cold.

You do want to purge the lines really, really well when it is very cold.

Last edited by philngrayce; December 2nd, 2019 at 06:05.
philngrayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 07:41   #5
fizrat scampy

Thanks! Plantdrive kits (or at least the installations that I salvaged my parts out of, one out of a 91 Jetta, another an 89 Delica) just use regular hose. Checked out the Greasecar website but they don't seem to have the fuel-line-inside-coolant-line in their product listing. Is there a product out there ready made or do you have to DIY?

The sets I've got each have an in-tank heat exchanger, a heated filter mount (w/ a cozy for the filter), and finally an in-line heater just before the IP. So I'm mostly just worried about the long run under the car, and getting that flowing.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 08:15   #6
philngrayce
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/43/49 ('02 Jetta 5 sp)

Greasecar was the only ready made product I’m aware of. I’m not even sure how much they are in business anymore.

I found this, which gives a pretty good description of what it is and how to make it:

https://www.instructables.com/id/hea...l-conversions/

Greasecar used pex, and it worked fine, but I suppose the aluminum in the link is even better. But pex is really inexpensive, and easy to work with.
philngrayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2019, 09:19   #7
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

I would put a full winter front on the car and block the intercooler as well for notably faster warm up time and higher coolant temps.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote