MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

noobTDI

TDI
2013 Golf Sportwagen Manual
I'm honestly not trying to rub anything in here, just wanted to share my experience, I have recently picked up my 2013 Golf Wagon (canadian JSW) with RCD-310 and I have to report that the BT works beautifully with my $80 outright Samsung Galaxy GIO, to the point where I'm amazed. The streaming music really brings out the worst in lower bitrate mp3s tho, so make sure you are using good stuff. Love the fact that if my app is still up from my drive in, when I go to drive home it detects the phone and resumes playback automatically :) Calls worked perfectly and streaming services like Songza sound great.

Neil

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
I am stuck I want to update my firmware in my RNS 510. But, I don't know what rev. number I have w/o wripping into my dash. I have a 2009.5 (June built) Jetta TDI Sunroof Nav. When I press select it dosn't show the "Hidden Menu" what shows the Hardware and Firmware versions. If anyone could help that would be awesome!

My VIN is 3VWRL71K29M173002.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
I am stuck I want to update my firmware in my RNS 510. But, I don't know what rev. number I have w/o wripping into my dash. I have a 2009.5 (June built) Jetta TDI Sunroof Nav. When I press select it dosn't show the "Hidden Menu" what shows the Hardware and Firmware versions. If anyone could help that would be awesome!

My VIN is 3VWRL71K29M173002.

Well I found out that My RNC 510 is a B model. So, I can only upgrade safely to firmware 1140. In which I did and upgraded my maps to V5M. Just be sure to use a High Quality DVD R to burn the .iso image to. For both the Firmware and Maps.

Maruca

TDI
2010 golf tdi
WOW!!! Now that was fast. I haven't even gotten my letter yet and they told me I qualified and was approved. How did you get your letter or approval so fast?
I called the number you gave me and Sue helped me out. M

DieselSax

Mid Michigan - little town called Riverdale
TDI
'10 JSW, Manual 6-spd, Black/Black
I finally got my approval card in the mail this past week. The problem was in the paperwork. Seems that VW said I didn't own the car when in fact I do. I had to send in a copy of my registration to prove I own it. Oh well, I got it now, I just need to set up my appointment with the dealership.

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
Based on the fact that you confirmed it is stereo now with the 9W2, I think it is guaranteed to be the same thing with the 9W7!
Just installed the 9W7 this week in my 2010 Sportwagen TDI replacing the 9W2. I wanted to confirm that it all works flawlessly, still have stereo Bluetooth music streaming and now have phone book and call info on my MFD. it's a shame it didn't come from the factory like this, but I'm happy to have it regardless. Git the 9W7 shipped for $250 from a Vortexer. Happy as can be. Thanks all for the help.

russki1313

TDI
Jetta
So i need your help guys,
I am upgrading my stereo from the Factory Premium 7 to RCD510.
I would like to add bluetooth too.
I have a 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with red MFD.

Can you tell me what functionalities i will/will not have if i add the 9W2 (
1K8 035 730 D)

Thanks
Kevin

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Has anyone with the upgrade had any issues with their blackberry? I can connect the phone but when I go to use it, it says that it is not connected.

Right Lane

TDI
2013 Golf
Rename Phone?

I can't figure out how to rename my phone in my 2013 Golf. There is a rename option but when I employ it, there seems to be no way to enter anything. I read and reread the manual and it is useless (it may as well be in a different language for all the help that its been). Thanks ... RL

trscott

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG 13k miles, Black w/ Grey interior
Having trouble getting my phonebook to download. The car says it is, the phone asks permission, which I ok, but it never downloads.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from Verizon.
I just got this 2009 Jetta TDI with Nav and Bluetooth.

The BT module under the passenger seat is the 9W3 BT option marked
HW: 1Z0 035 729A H34
SW: 1Z0 035 729A 0150

According to the first post on this thread:
"This module is considered to be the "premium" BT module in that it has voice command and the capability to download the phone book from the handset. However, the module seems to not support display of the "Phone" menu on the MFD. The phone book can only be interacted with via the RNS-510 on the '09 Jetta."

I have seen one mention that it may matter how the phonebook is stored in an android phone.

Any ideas?

Does this BT module support A2DP?

Is there a better module I should get to replace this one? And why?

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That module won't support voice dialing or downloading your phone book. There was a class action to give voice dialing but that expired about 6 months ago and doesn't work that well anyway. Your best option would be to get a 9w7 module off eBay, but even that has issues. My wife's 11 golf doesn't always connect to her IPhone.

trscott

TDI
9w7 to replace 9w3

So what's the bottom line with switching to the 9w7?

1) Can I just pop the old one out and pop the new one in?
2) are there codes that have to be reprogrammed in the computer?
3) What all features will it support.

Repeating my setup, I have a red display, and the Nav system, along with a "functioning" (more or less) 9w3.

Just saw a link that suggests I would have to add a wire to get stereo with A2DP mode since the 9w3 only had one wire for mono. Need to figure out those details.

Does the 9W7 work well enough to be worth a few hundred dollars to do the upgrade?

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just noticed you have an 09. Read back through this thread to see what you need. I know on mine (10), it should just be plug and play.

trscott

TDI
Are all 9w7 modules created equally? Or are there early or late versions that I have to sort through?

shloho

TDI
2014 Jetta
I'm honestly not trying to rub anything in here, just wanted to share my experience, I have recently picked up my 2013 Golf Wagon (canadian JSW) with RCD-310 and I have to report that the BT works beautifully with my $80 outright Samsung Galaxy GIO, to the point where I'm amazed. The streaming music really brings out the worst in lower bitrate mp3s tho, so make sure you are using good stuff. Love the fact that if my app is still up from my drive in, when I go to drive home it detects the phone and resumes playback automatically :) Calls worked perfectly and streaming services like Songza sound great.

Neil
I have the rcd-10 too I think. I don't have the base model of the 2014 jetta. Its the next one up. Does yours show caller ID on the MFD?

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Okay I bought a Garmin nUvi because I am making service calls with a P/T job. I learn that the HD Traffic feature does not work here. The only way to get traffic info to the GPS is to connect it to a smart phone so it can get data through the Internet. Once paired my phone now will connect to both the car stereo and the GPS. When connected the GPS takes over the hands free phone function leaving only the media player for the stereo to use. There is apparently no settings in the GPS to change that. Anyone have a clue?

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
BLUETOOTH RESET.

Didn't see this on the FAQ, and didn't read all the comments either. I had a problem with the bluetooth menu failing to show up at all in the MFI. Found simple instructions for resetting the BT module:

1. Slide the passenger seat all the way back
  2. Rip up the Styrofoam box under the seat. It's held down with Velcro.
  3. Find the connector plug, and remove it by sliding the white lock to the side and pulling the plug straight out.
  4. Replace the plug and relock it.
  5. Replace the Styrofoam box.
Bluetooth now appears in the MFI. I can now connect my Nexus 4 to the phone controls, but still can't get it to play music. Will try the iPhone and see if the problem is my Nexus (running CyanogenMod instead of Android).

vdubdiesel

TDI
2011 JSW, 2003 Golf TDI (gone not forgotten)
...but still can't get it to play music.
I'm curious if other peoples bluetooth behaves the same but i find streaming music to be really annoying... the only way i can listen to streamed (bluetooth) music from my iPhone is to play the stream from the phone first... meaning the stream must be playing before I can select the "source" on the radio.

^ This might seem obvious or correct but i find it really annoying. I want to select my source anytime and then start/stop/pause at will. The little oddity of having a stream playing before selecting the source really gets in the way. It also makes it hard to send waze/map navigation alerts to the stereo.

So @slam make sure you have a stream playing to the VW before you try to select the source from the stereo. On the iPhone (don't know android) i play a stream on the phone make sure i can hear it, then i select the VW in airplay, then on the car (with it running already) select the source on the stereo.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

2TDIguy

Veteran Member
2014 Sportwagen. Every time I get any type message on phone while in car and the phone has BT automatically connected it switches from radio to BT Audio. SMS, FB messenger, SnapChat all do it. Anyone had this issue and solved it?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's in your phone's settings. My truck did this to me until I changed the settings.

MikePA

TDI
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr DSG TDI w/Sunroof & Nav xxxPL7AJ5EMxxxxxxx
Has anyone had luck getting a Samsung Note 10+ to play music or audio over BT? The phone works with the car but that's it. From what I've seen this is a common problem with Samsung, but I haven't seen a fix for it.

Tdi/gti kid

TDI
2011 Jetta Tdi
Posted this in my thread, but it fits here as well.

Just had a really great experience with the service department. Originally scheduled the appointment because my steering wheel was slightly to the left and I thought my alignment was off. When I went in, I had printed out the instructions on how to reprogram the car's computer so that it would show the phone menu in the MFD. They said they'd do it for no charge, and afterwards they thanked me for bringing that information in because VW wouldn't tell them how to fix the issue and they've had a number of new customers complaining about it. So they said they don't usually do alignments and all that before 1000 miles on the car, but they went ahead and did it anyways because I had brought that info to light.

I think it's pretty amusing that the guys here at TDIClub.com know more about reprogramming the car's computer than the guys at the dealerships. :D

Also I would like to say that if you live in the Denver area, check out Lithia Volkswagen on 104th. They have some great people all around and are willing to flash the bluetooth fix on 9w3 modules for free!
I’m in the Denver area but have a 2011 Jetta TDI with updated one. However it’s not connecting to my iPhone XSmax. Thinking maybe the module under the seat is faulty. I hear the phone beep and commands when pushing phone button on steering wheel but won’t connect via Bluetooth. Any ideas?