2002 ALH 5 speed with metal in oil

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
It's not as much about being able to as having the tools I would want to do everything myself, if I had a buddy with a machine shop it'd be a different story. But not everyone has dreams of a 20 ton press, bore and bar, 3 angle mill and the countless tools that go along side a full service machine shop. I would love to have free access to them but they would only take up floor space as they'd only seldomly be used.

I must say this forum is better than most about being helpful with minimal pointless flaming posts but there will always be one and I try not to be that guy.

If you have a mk1 and wanna build a mk1...build a mk1...I love my mk4s because with a few parts and a tune I didn't loose any FE since my nozzles were worn out most likely and it's a fun car that's paid for and still looks fairly modern.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I am going on my 3rd ALH rebuild so far, fantastic engines to rebuild as they are stupid simple inside easy to machine. Part availability isn't really an issue either.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
This is helpful information. Thank you. I can probably swing something in that neighborhood. The idea is to have a daily driver that is mechanically reliable like a new car, but for less money and something I can maintain.

The more power the better if it doesn't hurt reliability or much efficiency. I was thinking max around 150 hp. If Frank were to give an all clear to the lower end I would stay stock.
A stock bottom end is good up until 175-180hp, from what I've been told. If your goal is 150, roll new bearings in it and call it a day, so long as your hones look good.

c.Lunn

TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI
It's not as much about being able to as having the tools I would want to do everything myself, if I had a buddy with a machine shop it'd be a different story. But not everyone has dreams of a 20 ton press, bore and bar, 3 angle mill and the countless tools that go along side a full service machine shop. I would love to have free access to them but they would only take up floor space as they'd only seldomly be used.

I must say this forum is better than most about being helpful with minimal pointless flaming posts but there will always be one and I try not to be that guy.

If you have a mk1 and wanna build a mk1...build a mk1...I love my mk4s because with a few parts and a tune I didn't loose any FE since my nozzles were worn out most likely and it's a fun car that's paid for and still looks fairly modern.

I appreciate that perspective. My build stems fron the idea of daily driving a classic-the "impossible dream". ?

I have owned MK1s and MK4s plus domestic race and street cars. I'm 44 years old and would like to roll my experience into a sustainable project.

An LS swapped GM car was my first idea of a daily classic, but I'm not interested in getting poor fuel economy and spending a pile of money that large. Plus that is just not my style any more. I prefer the VW folks anyway.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I take it you've already got a good feeling about fitment?

c.Lunn

TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI
I take it you've already got a good feeling about fitment?

That depends on what you mean by "good feeling". ?

It appears S and P makes a set of brackets to get the engine/trans in place.

From there it looks like it's a matter of fabbing up brackets and such for fuel filter, reinforce firewall for clutch peda, mount radiator and innercooler l etc.

I definitely want to dry fit the engine and accessories before paint. I have a TIG welder and metal tools at home. Hopefully I can avoid firewall modification aside from bracing pedals.