Cruise Control Drops, Traction Control Light Flashes

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
So, here is the problem. While driving on dry, even (a.k.a. no potholes) pavement with the cruise engaged, randomly the cruise will disengage just as the traction control indicator light shows briefly on the dash (obviously linked for safety reasons).

Starting doing this immediately after replacing the outer boot on the passenger side CV axle. At first, could not go more than a few miles between occurrences.

No codes in the computer (checked with my VAG-COM).
While driving, wheel speed sensors are all measuring the same values.
All CV axle bolts were tightened properly.
Pulled both front wheel speed sensors, cleaned and replaced.

After doing the above, it has done the same thing once in about 250 miles of driving. Any thoughts on what could be the issue?
  1. Bad wheel speed sensor? If so, how to test (note comment about VAG-COM above).
  2. Improper adjustment of wheel speed sensor? If so, what is the proper way to install them, just shove all the way in, or back off a touch after bottoming?
  3. Anything other thoughts?
Everything else is in good shape and tight.

Thanks,

Steve

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
Cleaned both sensors (mentioned above) and cleaned the tonewheel/triggerwheel when the CV axle was out.

It's probably a dirty wheel speed sensor or sensor tonewheel.

-J

rarmstrong

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Do you have VW axles on this car? If you have chinese junk axles I'll bet you its your problem...

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
The original axles were removed from the car 20k miles ago, rebuilt and reinstalled. The boot split a few weeks ago on the passenger side, so I pulled it and put an OEM boot on it.

So, what specifically about Chineese axles would cause the problem, other than the country of origin?

Do you have VW axles on this car? If you have chinese junk axles I'll bet you its your problem...

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
Brake switch fine... If defective will not activate the TC circuit/light

A bad brake light bulb or brake light switch will disengage the CC.

It's another place to look...

Bill