Oregon fuels

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Calling out to all Oregon owners, and anyone whose traveled through. So I filled up today and was harassed by the attendant for filling my car, saying it was illegal and threatened to report me. At first I was under the impression I was allowed to do it. Got ahold of a sheriff, ORS 480.330 specifically states class 1 flammable liquids cannot be pumped by consumers. Good thing diesel is a class 2. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Been pumping for years between my TDI and my pickup, first time being confronted on it.

300k_logician

TDI
2000 Jetta ALH 5-speed
Well, among many more important reasons, one of the reasons I bought a TDI in the first place was bad experiences with oregon fuel attendants spilling on the side of my car when they thought my tank should take more (I guess habitually filling up at half is not very popular.)

However, since I pay in cash all the time, I'm at the mercy of the fueling station's preferences, and typically they want to pump it, which drives me bonkers.

But nobody's ever gotten upset at me for trying (although Jubitz in N portland has a sign saying customers must not even TOUCH the pumps). I've always understood state law to only include gasoline, not diesel, and usually when I ask they let me do it myself.

A handful of stations even have signs that require diesel self serve (though even at one of these such stations an attendant insisted he do it, because 'people don't like pumping their own diesel' Give me a break, seriously). Since I lived in washington for a while, I (like most US citizens) know how to pump my own freaking fuel.

There's plenty of warning signs, it has nothing to do with safety. It's just that the oregon state legislature thinks they are doing us peasants a favor by bossing us around. I hear it has been law since 1952. This means they've had 67 chances to repeal it, but only made a slight change recently for nonurban counties after 8PM.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
That is weird, sounds frustrating. File that one with daylight savings time

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've filled up at the Costco fuel bar in Tualatin (?) - just off Hwy99 - a few times on our way through to SoCal. First time I just gave the guy my card as I was pre-occupied with something...and then realized....probably worth checking what was going on. Got to him just as he was pulling the 87Octane hose off the pump.

The other two times, I just got out and said, "No worries, guys - I got this" and grabbed the diesel nozzle. No fuss or bother.
Maybe having out-of-state (Canadian) plates makes them more accommodating (?).

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
They probably thought it was a gasser. Diesel is totally legal to pump there. The gasoline in a diesel is definitely a worry with attendants pumping fuel.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
I guess this is all new to me, in Nebraska everyone pumps their own gasoline and diesel, very few places have attendants that pump it for you. I feel bad that you have to deal with that.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I used to see a girl in OR (I'm a WA local) so I would be down there every weekend. I was never allowed to pump anything into my TDI or my Cummins. Even when I told them I'd do it, they refused to let me touch the pumps. I guess it just depends where you are. You just have to specify diesel and stand over the attendant because they will automatically grab the gas nozzle.

Was frustrated with the TDI because you can get an extra 3 gal in after the pump clicks, never could get it all the way full there.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I was under the impression that Oregon does this to create lower-level job opportunities for people without education/skills or that are fresh out of incarceration.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
When Donna lived out there it was the same, I believe early ‘80’s

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I haven't had an issue whenever I visit the state (a couple times a year at least). I usually just politely tell the attendant that it's diesel and I would like to fill it myself. Generally haven't had an issue.

Though, most of the diesels I drive are older and it's pretty obvious what they are when you pull up just by the sound. Some of the newer commonrail cars are so quiet I could understand the confusion on the attendant's part, but I think just politely telling him it's diesel, even pointing to the "DIESEL GAZOLE" sticker on the fuel door (or any of the bright yellow sticks that say "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" on the commonrails) is usually enough. All the attendants I've encountered so far seem to be familiar with the exception to the rule when it comes to diesel.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To be fair, this was a new attendant at the station I frequent. I had sent off an email to Chevron about the situation, just asking if they could refresh their employees on the law. I was a little upset when they threatened to call the police on me over it.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Calling out to all Oregon owners, and anyone whose traveled through. So I filled up today and was harassed by the attendant for filling my car, saying it was illegal and threatened to report me. At first I was under the impression I was allowed to do it. Got ahold of a sheriff, ORS 480.330 specifically states class 1 flammable liquids cannot be pumped by consumers. Good thing diesel is a class 2. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Been pumping for years between my TDI and my pickup, first time being confronted on it.
Here's the ORS:

"An owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids, except aviation fuels, are dispensed at retail may not permit any person other than the owner, operator or employee to use or manipulate any pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container. [Amended by 2001 c.285 §1]"

I could interpret this line as encompassing all fuels dispensed @ any station that contains Class I flammable liquids...ie if diesel is sold @ the same place that Class I is sold, this ORS would cover that (Ie "any" pump, hose pipe, or device it would have to be pumped). I could be over analyzing it though.

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
To be fair, this was a new attendant at the station I frequent. I had sent off an email to Chevron about the situation, just asking if they could refresh their employees on the law. I was a little upset when they threatened to call the police on me over it.
I see your point, no need to threaten you.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's the ORS:
"An owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids, except aviation fuels, are dispensed at retail may not permit any person other than the owner, operator or employee to use or manipulate any pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container. [Amended by 2001 c.285 §1]"
I could interpret this line as encompassing all fuels dispensed @ any station that contains Class I flammable liquids...ie if diesel is sold @ the same place that Class I is sold, this ORS would cover that (Ie "any" pump, hose pipe, or device it would have to be pumped). I could be over analyzing it though.
That's why I contacted a local sheriff, to get clarification. We can handle the diesel nozzle, hose, and pump, even if it's attached to the same machine as a gasoline nozzle. We just can't touch the gas handle.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
That's why I contacted a local sheriff, to get clarification. We can handle the diesel nozzle, hose, and pump, even if it's attached to the same machine as a gasoline nozzle. We just can't touch the gas handle.
Good to know cause last time they overflowed the crap out of it all over the side of my car!

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Apparently not all of Oregon is that way anymore since the beginning of 2018. The rural counties (eastern Oregon) with lower populations are exempt. Last time I was at the Pilot station in Biggs junction at I-84 and US-97, the attendant’s booth was used for storage and it was totally self serve both gas and diesel.
https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/480.341