DSG clutch pack shuddering

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
My BRM with the DSG has the DMF rattle. We purchased it with 275k on it, and it needed a cam, and teh associated services. I changed the DSG fluid, performed a relearn of the shifting via VCDS. The car is slow to respond to reverse and first gear when cold. IE have to give it about 1500 rpms before it starts to move. When warm it is better, however you can not feel the clutch packs engage when asking the car to take off. It feels very much like an automatic with a torque converter is the best way I can describe. The car is otherwise a great runner, and shifts reasonably.

I have a short window to repair the car ( a couple of weeks ) during xmas coming up. The question is IF the DMF is replaced will it solve the slipping feeling when cold? or should the clutch packs be replaced as well? I could just drop the trans and look at the packs, and then order if needed, but UPS will be swamped during the holidays, and I wont be able to get it back together in time.

I think the clutch packs are starting to slip.

What do you think? and where is a good priced place to get clutch pack. Everywhere wants 7-800.

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
BTW I found cobra transmission sells the frictions and steels for a very reasonable price. They also have the clutch cover, and basket / hub assembly, but don't show the price. Could one get away without the basket assembly if there are no burs on the splines?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have only ever replaced the whole clutch assembly, which comes as a kit with all the different measurement thickness rings to use, from Volkswagen. You are 100% certain the unit is full of fluid? And it is the correct fluid?

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
Yes, vehicle has proper DSG fluid, ordered the kit from IDparts. As far as proper fluid level, I put in the amount that came with the kit, as I have done with several other DSG vehicles. Did not do the specific temp, remove the bottom plug deal. Filled from the top method.

I know the vehicle did not get the proper service for the engine, hence the cam failure. PO went way over on the mileage before it started running rough, and then parked it. Some service records form Jiffy Lube were found.
That leads me to believe the DSG wasn't properly service either.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Mine shifts slow when the dsg is very cold as well. Below 10f. I too have to give it some revs before it engages. I figured this as normal because of cold thick oil.