EGR Delete

Tsasso

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI aka Miss Piggy, 281k and climbing - stock (for now) other than a Stage 2 clutch w/ single mass flywheel
Hi, I'm relatively new to TDIs and tuning all together, but I definitely know what I'm doing behind a wrench.. I guess all I'm wondering is how tuning an EGR delete works.. Does it take the trouble codes right out of the computer? Or basically block the ECU from caring about them..? I'm only wondering because I drove for 2 years with a CEL and now that I finally got it to go away I'd like it to stay that way. Plus having New York State Inspections every year, the light makes for headaches sometimes.
I want to do an EGR delete, just curious as to how that pesky light stays gone for good.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The best bet would be getting a tune that 'deletes' the EGR's negative aspects while
retaining the faster warm-up time that the EGR can provide. Search 'Dynamic EGR tune'.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Remember these delete tunes are only for your track TDI's...not for use on public roads.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I agree with doing the dynamic EGR tune (well, technically stock IS "dynamic" too, but) on an ALH if the rest of the engine is all stock.

Or, in some cases, there is a MAF delete tune, that sticks a fixed value in for the MAF (which is used to detect EGR flow) that never changes, and the ECU simply flags the EGR readiness monitor as 'set' all the time. On of my ALHs has this, but it is an economy (low output) map that gets really, really good fuel economy but isn't very powerful and is slow to warm up in winter.

You said your MIL was on, why was it on? You say in your info that the car already has a "stage 2...", what does it have? A lot of the tuners automatically change the EGR mapping anyway.

Tsasso

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI aka Miss Piggy, 281k and climbing - stock (for now) other than a Stage 2 clutch w/ single mass flywheel
I was short on time and cash and found a stage 2 clutch from Gripforce... It's supposed to hold 50%+ more power, all I was looking for was for it to hold a little more abuse when I'm having fun with my buddies... I don't have the money to make her actually put down any power so she's got an evry mod on a 1.5k pot and through a switch. Spun the stock clutch like crazy. But the check engine light was a Cylinder 4 glow plug circuit fault, swapped one plug, swapped all plugs, swapped the harness, code was still there. I left it at that, just was confused about why it wasn't fixed yet. Well I finally got the motivation to look into it again, tested my glow plugs, and somehow I got 2 bad glow plugs that were both installed on cylinder 4, at 2 separate times. Just my luck really... But she finally has working glow plugs and no check engine light. (because the evry mod is on a switch so the code goes pending when it's on and then just goes away when I turn it off, as long as it isn't on when I start the engine the light will stay out)