No heat

my d sel

TDI
1999 passat waggon gas car 2005 passat tdi 1995 golf tdi
Hi guys just got a 2005 passat tdi i have no coolant going to heater core i have both hoses off no coolant and the return line back to tank has no coolant returning to expansion tank i have replaced the thermostat need help thank you in advance Moe

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You need to vent the hear hose lines. One of them has a small hole on it. You will need to slide that hose back on so that the small vent hole is not on the heater core pipe. Then, when you start the engine and you start seeing fluid coming out of it, you slide the hose all they way on so that the vent hole is covered by the heater core pipe. Maybe better of you look it up on youtube.

my d sel

TDI
Hi i did this and i have no coolant going to heater core or the 3/8 inch return hose back to expansion tank Moe

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi i did this and i have no coolant going to heater core or the 3/8 inch return hose back to expansion tank Moe
Is the water pump pumping? Is there enough coolant in the system? Was this an issue before you replaced the thermostat.

my d sel

TDI
Hi again i changed the coolant and it is full in expansion tank i did this because i just bought the car and wanted fresh coolant to start with and new thermostat still no luck thank you again Moe

my d sel

TDI
no heat

Thank you for the info/ and i also should have mention that the 3/8 hose going back to tank has no coolant flow to tank thank Moe

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi again i changed the coolant and it is full in expansion tank i did this because i just bought the car and wanted fresh coolant to start with and new thermostat still no luck thank you again Moe
Was the car heating properly before you touched it?

my d sel

TDI
I had no heat when all this started this is why i changed out the thermostat and put fresh coolant in i just got this car and drove it one hour home with no heat and it register 90c on the dash gauge thank you Moe

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does the heat mixing flap work? When you turn the heat knob, does it feel like it is attached to something? Sometimes it can feel like it is but it actually isn't. Had this happen to me before. You need to remove the control panel and see if the cable is attached to the mixing knob and if it moves when the knob is turned.

my d sel

TDI
Hi i did do a flush with water and a 5 psi air pressure set on my regulator the flow looked good and some crap came out and i did check behind the control panel and checked the mixing knob it looked all in order/ all this and still no heat after a 20 min drive also i did bleed the air out of the system / the dash was reading at 90c still looking thank u

Last edited:

dandywriter

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon 6M
What fan speed are you using? When it's cold out, anything over 1 doesn't allow the car to warm up, and sitting idling, it never will. The more load on the engine - heated seats, rear defrost, etc - and running at at least 2000 rpm under driving load (not idling) will let it heat up.

Also, consider getting or making a winter front.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have missed something. Is there flow across the heater core? Once the engine is warm, is there hot coolant getting into the heater core? If both of these are yes then, something is wrong with the mixing flap. Also, when the heater fan is on 1, is there any sign of heat coming out of the vents? What happens when you turn on recalculation?

my d sel

TDI
hi there is no flow of coolant going to the heater core after the engine is warmed up thank you for your help Moe

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They try topping off the coolant line at the heater core inlet and then see what happens.
Are you sure your water pump is pumping?

my d sel

TDI
Hi i think you hit the nail on the head / when i bought this car i was told that the timing belt was changed and the belt only had 30k on it /but he did not say anything about changing the water pump i should have ask/ so now i will be doing a timing belt kit and the water pump this should solve this problem / i want to thank all you guys for all your input thanks Moe:)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi i think you hit the nail on the head / when i bought this car i was told that the timing belt was changed and the belt only had 30k on it /but he did not say anything about changing the water pump i should have ask/ so now i will be doing a timing belt kit and the water pump this should solve this problem / i want to thank all you guys for all your input thanks Moe:)

Don't change anything until you know for sure what exactly the problem is. You are guessing and throwing parts at it. If the pump wasn't working, the engine would have overheated and you said before that it didn't.

my d sel

TDI
No Heat

Ok guys i did not rip any thing apart yet need to think more about it thank U for the push / i am not sure if anyone before me has done a EGR delete i have not done a EGR delete myself / and yes the temp gauge does read 90c after half hour of running / good day today went to the wreckers and picked up a few parts for my new baby /car is in the garage i will be working on it the rest of the winter and try to get it ready for the spring /good thing i put a hoist in my garage /shop about 20 years ago i did because my son bought a 1966 - 327 beaumont we needed the hoist for his car and now we use it all the time/ good thing i have my 1999 passat waggon to run around to bad it is a gas car i rescued this car from the wrecker two years ago i put at lot of work into this car / my first car was a bug in the sixty i guess the last car will be a vw also /ok that is enough thanks again all the info on here is super :) Moe