BHW Blown swap in another PD Engine?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I have a blown BHW (BSM, of course) and a good ZF. I've been thinking rather then getting a used BHW and have to swap in the upgraded BSM why not install another PD?

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Sounds to me like a LOT more trouble than it's worth. But I'm sure one of the gurus would know more.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I don't know. I have all the bolt on accessories ie: manifolds, turbo, motor mounts, flywheel, all the hoses, F. filter mounts, literally a complete parts engine. I haven't pulled the head apart yet but I might get lucky and only need a bottom end... and there's a 150PD bottom end in the classifieds right now too;)

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I'd be reusing all the electronics from the donor engine. The only thing I'm not familiar with is the round plug on the back of the cylinder head whether this is same between all the PDs or is specific to year or model.

I thought this would have generated more conversation especially considering the BSM will affect virtually all B5.5 owners on here in some way or another.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You'll have to replace the oil pick up and oil pan if you're putting a transverse engine into the longitudinal mounted Passat. You'll have to figure out the correct parts to prevent oil starvation when accellerating or cornering.

You don't say which way the donor car intake mainfold faces, nor anything about the turbo and exhaust manifolds. Take that into consideration for mounting the donor engine. That right side is pretty tightly packed with the engine mount, turbo, turbo support, exhaust and starter all packed in there.

Does the flywheel accommodate a starter in that position? From mention of that it reads like you're going to swap in a manual transmission too. If not, then you'll have to mount the drive plate parts from the BHW to the donor engine and make sure the crank will mate properly to the torque converter.

There are large number of things that need to be properly planned for such a project. It is not a short answer. However, the injector harness connector should not be a problem.

The cost of doing all of this, plus time, exceeds that of replacing the BSM before a failure.

mojzesz

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
What was the milage when it happend?

mogly said:
I have a blown BHW (BSM, of course) and a good ZF. I've been thinking rather then getting a used BHW and have to swap in the upgraded BSM why not install another PD?

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify what I have is a complete as removed from car with ALL accessories, motor mounts, flywheel, turbo, both manifolds, oil pan, pick up, etc etc. I basically need just a bare long block to swap this stuff over. I have the auto ZF trans and proper starter and dust shield.

It wasn't my car and I told the owner 1 year ago that he was treading into dangerous territory with 250+ TKM on it and the BSM was NOISY. I sourced a complete low mileage (12TKM) BHW and ZF auto trans and swapped them for him and I have the above listed parts as "left overs".

Edited for grammar error.

Last edited:

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
If you need it I have a good head, crank and rods from a BHW

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Buy a new short block from VW and they come with the new module assembly, last I checked a new short block was as much as a used junkyard engine (or very close).

However I'd be worried your head took a dump due to no oil pressure.

There are some subtle differences in the Transverse and longitudinal engine blocks meaning a transvere engine isn't 100 percent bolt in, but it will work.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I really don't think that I want to go with another BHW but the idea of pricing a short block is a good one. I'll do that to get an idea on cost.

I have the head off but haven't closely examined it- I just haven't had the time recently. I'll do that. From a quick examination I see no scoring on the cam. If I use it, I'll disassemble it to make certain it's in good working order.