no suction on lift side of pump 2003 golf!

jcmarching

TDI
2003 Golf
can I add an aftermarket booster or lift pump between the tank and pump of an 03 tdi golf? Any recommendations on where to consult in San Diego?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The PD (04+) in-tank pump/sending unit can be retrofitted to the older A4 cars like yours. There are a bunch of threads here somewhere with good details

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I'm wondering why you are asking? Do you have a problem with the car now? You say you have no suction. How did you test this and why did you test it? It seems that if you checked this it was for a reason. Maybe you have bigger or smaller problems that you are trying to mask.

So can you tell us more about what is going on with the engine?

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
If you put a mity-vac or other vacuum device on the fuel line that comes from the tank and can't draw fuel through it then a pump won't help. That would point to a blockage at the fuel sender in the tank. Conversely if you do the same thing and draw through nothing but air it points to a "hole" in your system, either in the line or in the connections at the tank or in the sender. There have been cases where the sender has split and only functions well on a full tank and starts sucking air as the level goes down.

What are your symptoms?