Confused as to the order of the steps in filing claim

johnh

TDI
2015 audi A8 TDI
Good afternoon, all. I was wondering if someone might offer some words of advice, and thanks in advance. I have filled in all the paperwork, and reached the screen where I am told that "The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Emissions Compliant Repair." However at the same time, I'm informed that "Your Emissions Compliant Repair (ECR) is not yet available." So my question is why schedule an appointment, which involves a drive of at least 4 hours, if the car cannot be fixed. I know I'd get a check for half the money. But as I understand it, I'd get a check for the full amount if I were to wait until the ECR is available, and have it all done then. Is that it, or is there more to it than I'm missing? Thanks. :confused:

Dup_Loop

TDI
Q7 TDI
You're not missing anything. If you want the half payment up front, then you schedule an appointment now to bring the car in. If you don't mind waiting and want to avoid the four hour drive, you can. In that case, you'll get the full payment when you get the repair done, assuming one is approved.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
edit: simul-post addressed the situation better.

I know there's some screwy thing with the 3.0 in some situations involving an initial payment before the repair becomes available. I don't know how that's supposed to work.

johnh

TDI
2015 audi A8 TDI
Thanks, Dup_Loop. That is what I had suspected, and thanks for taking the trouble to clarify in my head. Appreciate you, and thanks again.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
That is correct, you can go to the dealer and get like 1/2 of the restitution money now, and then the other half at your actual emissions modification appointment.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Does anyone know what happens to Gen 1 Treg TDI owners who chose to keep the car when there is no fix coming? My dealer can't give me an answer yet.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
There may be a fix coming for Generation one 3.0 TDI's but you'll have to wait and see.

If they ultimately do not come up with a fix, and you still want to keep the car, then you will not get anything.

If no fix becomes available, the only way to participate in the settlement would be to sell the vehicle back to VW.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Wouldn't an option also be to get a half payment, then decide to keep the vehicle with no fix? Not that it would be a good course of action, just a possible one.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
^^^ Yes, I had not thought of it, but I believe that would be an option.