P0101 error remains

mrwuf

TDI
2006 Jetta
2006 Jetta TDI (PD - Think it's actually a 2005.5).

I've read at least 5 threads on the P0101 error.
My problems started about a month ago when I got errors for the glow plugs. I replaced glow plugs (about 2 yrs old) and also replaced the air filter. Within about 15 minutes of driving I got error code P0101 code and the engine sounded really rough with lots of air noises. No noticeable power loss. I changed the MAF sensor and the vehicle still shows P0101 code after a day or so of city use.

1. I replaced the camshaft about 14 months ago because of an unrelated problem.
2. I can unplug MAF while engine running and the engine continues to run.

Not sure where to go from here. Reading some other threads, looks like next choice might be to look for air leaks. HOWEVER; the fact that it continues to run after I unplug the MAF tells me there is an electric problem. Any idea?

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
I wouldn't replace the glow plugs again if you get another code.
Take them out and test them with an ohm meter. It's highly unlikely they burnt out in 2 years.

mrwuf

TDI
2006 Jetta
I wouldn't replace the glow plugs again if you get another code.
Take them out and test them with an ohm meter. It's highly unlikely they burnt out in 2 years.
Thanks for the reply.

I concur. I think the two codes are related in some way. I read some people say a bad ground can cause the P0101 error. Perhaps its all related. When I pulled off the MAF sensor assembly it was very dirty. I'm not sure if that makes much difference.

Had I to do it over again, I wouldn't have changed the air filter when I changed the glow plugs. I can't help but wonder if there is a problem with the new air filter.

Lastly, I watched one video on youtube where a guy said if you disconnect the MAF sensor and the vehicle continues running then you have a bad MAF sensor. I'm starting to think that isn't true given that some people are stating to disconnect and see if performance changes.

The biggest problem I've got is that I live in the rural southwest. Not a lot of vehicle recovery options once you leave town. I've seen enough movies to know if the vehicle breaks down, its only a matter of time before I'm abducted by some creepy drifter and held in the back of his transfer truck.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Yeah unplugging the maf and it keeps ruining test is garbage. It might apply to some cars but definitely not one size fits all.

I would inspect every aspect of your air intake system for leaks and perhaps data log and post your maf activity.

Did you inspect your harness for wear in the common paces?

My constant ASV codes were harness damage. Since my repair I have not had a CEL. Nice to have it solved.

Previous owner went to a couple shops. They all kept changing the ASV.

mrwuf

TDI
2006 Jetta
Fixed

Yes, it will run fine without the MAF sensor plugged in. I checked and was able to determine wire harness wasn't the problem, ground wasn't the problem.... so I followed the hoses from the MAF and there it was, the hose was disconnected. Well after the MAF. Not sure how it happened but it was disconnected at the 1st hose spring after the MAF. It didn't happen with the new MAF installation.

I feel like an idiot for not looking first. Hope this helps someone.