Reliable high mileage commuter

b18onboost

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hi guys, I am going to pick up an 06 Jetta TDI with about 160k on it. I know I need to do the cam, lifters, and TB service. What else do you guys recommend? Should I redo the whole cooling system (radiator, hoses, etc..). The car will most likely be an automatic since I hate driving in traffic with a manual. Thanks for all your helps.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Hi guys, I am going to pick up an 06 Jetta TDI with about 160k on it. I know I need to do the cam, lifters, and TB service. What else do you guys recommend?
Plan on changing the flywheel at some point if it hasn't been done already.
Driver's door wiring harness is a common problem.

Should I redo the whole cooling system (radiator, hoses, etc..).
I don't think I'd worry about that. You'll change the water pump, thermostat (recommended), and coolant during the TB change anyway. I'd inspect hoses and if they look OK, leave 'em.

Read up on the model a bit, and you'll see all the common repairs. I've had to do some non-common repairs to my 06, but I'm really enjoying the car.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cute that you think 160k is "high mileage" :p

I'd not worry about the cam unless there is a good reason to. If it is running and sounding OK right now, I'd motor on and when the belt is due again you can inspect/replace then if necessary.

Common other trouble areas on that car:

EGR cooler

A/C compressor RCV

engine harness

door harness

HVAC recirc motor

alternator pulley

DMF

headliner

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
.......I'd not worry about the cam unless there is a good reason to. If it is running and sounding OK right now, I'd motor on and when the belt is due again you can inspect/replace then if necessary.
To me that is kind of like saying, "don't check the oil level until the red light flashes on the dash".

I'd say check it as soon as possible before something starts to get noticeable. It could be the very reason that the car is being sold.
Most times people don't know that the cam and lifters are worn until a lifter breaks and then you have debris getting pummeled by the camshaft and messing up the lifter bores.
I have only run into ONE car (BRM) over the many years of changing timing belts on them that has not shown significant wear to the camshaft and lifters by that mileage. This one may be another lucky one.

Just check.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Hey Oilhammer / JETaah,

Have you guys had to replace any Mk5 rear lower control arms due to the adjusters being seized?
I passed that headache on to the shop that was doing the alignment.
They did have a bad time with it.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I passed that headache on to the shop that was doing the alignment.
They did have a bad time with it.
Yeah...that ended up being an expensive bill for me. I knew about all of the common Mk5 BRM TDI stuff...but didn't find out about those adjusters until the car was on the alignment rack. Cost me two new control arms. I doubt it's an issue down south...but it's starting to become an issue up here in the salty north.

oilhammer

TDI
No rusty adjusters here for me. Of course, I also have a 1/4 million mile BRM sitting here that has never had its valve cover off, so what do I know? :p

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
No rusty adjusters here for me. Of course, I also have a 1/4 million mile BRM sitting here that has never had its valve cover off, so what do I know? :p
Yes, I suppose your corrosion related repairs aren't quite as common (or intense) as they are further north?

I just replaced my drivers side b-pillar covers last night...ugh. If they were just faded...I could have lived with them, but they were rusted across the bottoms, and with the rest of the car freshly painted, I couldn't stand looking at them anymore.

Another Mk5 issue in the rust belt...although only cosmetic in nature of course.:)

oilhammer

TDI
I would not consider Missouri "rust belt", and I have lived here all my life. We get winter weather, but not a lot of it, and it is usually in short spans. When it snows here, it is a 24 hr thing typically. So while they do treat the roads, it is not so bad that you cannot over come the effects to your car for the most part.

Oddly enough, Illinois is MUCH worse. Even people in the metro east of STL, who are at the same latitude as those of us in central Missouri, will have more rust problems. I think that is just because the state of Illinois is more likely to salt the dickens out of their roads, all over the state, not just Chicagoland.

The cars that rust bad here are the domestic pickups (those are really the worst), lots of GM vehicles like J-bodies and N-bodies, Nissans, Subarus (Subarus must be made out of some of the cheapest metal on the planet), Chrysler minivans, and to some extent some of the older Fords like the Taurus. We see a lot of GM/Ford/Chrysler brake line failures, too.

But Volkswagens, at least in the modern era, are generally limited to the foam-block-induced fender rust on the diesel A4s and some B5s mostly. My Golf has some rocker rust starting just on the driver's side, but I think that was spurred on by a past accident by the previous owner that was poorly fixed, as the fender had been pushed back and kinked the body and they just slapped a new fender on. Because you can see the rust started in earnest right at the kink and allowed debris and water to get into the body cavity. The passenger side is still like new.

But as far as nuts and bolts and underbody fasteners are concerned, it is not much of a problem here. I do encounter a lot of seized tie rod toe adjusters on VAG products, even if they do not look at all rusty, but that has always been that way.

So, to me, a car that has spent all its live in Nevada certainly looks better than one that has spent all its life here, but something that has spent all its life in Cleveland is MUCH much worse.

b18onboost

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
thanks guys

Hi guys, thank you so much for all your replies. I am budgeting about 1500 to do all the necessary maintenance. My commute is 2 hours each way 2-3 times a week and I can't afford for a car to break down. I'll definitely do some more research.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Hi guys, thank you so much for all your replies. I am budgeting about 1500 to do all the necessary maintenance. My commute is 2 hours each way 2-3 times a week and I can't afford for a car to break down. I'll definitely do some more research.
An 06 BRM Jetta @ 160k should have a lot of good running left in it imho.

I've spent a small fortune rehabilitating my 06, and I while I did have a little bit of buyer's remorse this spring, I have since gotten over it and I'm now really happy with the car, and I quite like driving it.

Mine had only 119,000 miles on it, which around here would be considered a low-mileage 06 TDI.

I've spent way more money fixing the car up than a normal person would (or should), but I do use it for work, so the pay back is pretty quick for me.

In any case, good luck with the purchase.

oilhammer

TDI
So much of it depends on what the value of the car you are driving is to YOU.

It would be "cheaper" to find a Civic or Elantra or Corolla. Even though none of those cars, even with a manual, is likely to be as frugal on fuel as a BRM+DSG Jetta (although the 5sp Civic would come pretty close), they would still cost less to purchase, cost less to maintain, and are plentiful enough and forgiving enough to neglect that you could just drive it and do the minimal PM and throw it away after a few years and find another and still come out ahead.

The difference? You'd be driving a miserable turd penalty box of a car the whole time. Difficult to fit in unless you are very small, angry chainsaw engine needing to be rung out every time you accelerate, and just a general "bleh" driving experience. This is my opinion of course, but I have driven (often at length) pretty much every version of those cars and many others.

And, while not as statistically high as some other repairs that may be needed on the Jetta, those other cars DO break. Here is a 2005 Corolla getting an evap core this week at our shop: