Brake ware indicator affect buyback

Aj423

TDI
Touareg tdi
My '12 Touareg has been parked(mostly) until my 8/1/2017 buyback appointment. Today I took it for its monthly 10 mile drive, and the "Brake Ware" warning light and "check brake pads" status warning came on. It is a non highway 6 mile drive to the buyback dealer, and I feel safe driving it there.
The "brake Ware" warning takes the place of the odometer once it is activated. Cycling ignition off/on removed the warning, but it will likely return when driven and braked.
My plan would be to arrive a little early for the appointment, turn ignition off and hope that buyback agent doesn't drive the car far enough to relight the warning.
Question: does it effect buyback if the"Brake Warning" light is on?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Brake ware? Where? Is that a big building where they have lots of brakes? :D

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
As for safety, don't worry about it. When that pad wear sender unit triggers, you've got hundreds of miles of pad life left under normal driving conditions (i.e. not hundreds of miles of dragging your brakes).

You should be able to hit the trip reset button with the car off to get the odometer to pop up momentarily. As said ahead, this won't affect your buyback.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
Brake ware? Where? Is that a big building where they have lots of brakes? :D
Mine said "Brake Ware" also ... I had the pads replaced for a few hundred because I am going to drive it for a few more months before giving it back.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Mine said "Brake Ware" also ... I had the pads replaced for a few hundred because I am going to drive it for a few more months before giving it back.
Did they really misspell Brake Wear on the instrument cluster as Brake Ware?

It's plausible ... my Fiat misspells "cruise" as "crusie" when you disable the cruise control.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
It's plausible ... my Fiat misspells "cruise" as "crusie" when you disable the cruise control.
Sure does .... "BRAKE WARE"

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There has been a failure.

Specifically, a spelling and grammar failure.

:)

(I suspect this will only be the US models, the rest of the world including Canada gets a language-independent symbol)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Really?

I have a Fiat 500, although not an electric one. It uses the international symbol:

The US cars use english words for all that??

Someone in the translation department failed!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Really?
I have a Fiat 500, although not an electric one. It uses the international symbol:

The US cars use english words for all that??
Someone in the translation department failed!
The 500e has a full TFT display. It has the standard cruise control icon in addition to a large message on the screen that says "cruise control ready" or "crusie [sic] control deactivated."

The 500e cluster looks like this: https://goo.gl/photos/qNquqSHzMgZioX598

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Mine has the TFT display also. The displays on the petrol version are entirely different but it does display a message when activating or disengaging cruise control ... I'll check that one ...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The 500e has a full TFT display. It has the standard cruise control icon in addition to a large message on the screen that says "cruise control ready" or "crusie [sic] control deactivated."
The 500e cluster looks like this: https://goo.gl/photos/qNquqSHzMgZioX598
Follow-up. Mine has different messages on the TFT. Turning cruise control on brings a large version of the icon plus "Cruise control ON", and turning it off makes it write "Cruise control OFF". Both are spelled correctly.

The advantage of TFT displays is that they can put anything they want on the display. The disadvantage is that they can change things for no reason.