Unscientific PM wipe

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
I know there has been some discussion regarding particulate matter emitted by direct injection engines and I thought I'd have an unscientific look at TDI vs TSI.
I compared my soon to be bought back 2010 Golf TDI vs. my new 2017 Golf 1.8 TSI. I wiped both tailpipes with opposite corners of the same white rag and was surprised to see a heavy, dark stain of carbon or soot or PM from the gas engine.
disclaimer; The TDI has had little use over the past month whereas the TSI has had the first 1200 kms of its life over a 2 week period.
[/IMG]

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'm not surprised in the slightest. . . . that's why the DPF is there, and results in diesels being far cleaner in PM output than gassers . . .

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The deck is stacked against the Diesel. The TSI does emit particulate matter, but apparantly particulate matter from a gasser does not need to be regulated even though gasser particulate matter is more harmful to humans that Diesel particulate matter is.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just you wait... GPFs will be here before you know it. I, for one, welcome them, as I'm tired of getting sprayed in the face by a brown cloud every time any new car (with few exceptions) accelerates onto the high.