3.0 oil change and adblue fill - anyone?

Sailj22

TDI
2009 TDI Silver
3.0 owners are to received 1 free oil change and adblue fill after settlement but I haven't seen or heard an update. My oil is due my adblue is less than 1k to go and my buyback date is July 5. Would like to do the right thing and get the oil changed but not if there is supposed to be a free one.

Anyone got an update?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I think that not only is changing your oil a waste of time and money it's also more environmental waste, recycled or not. You're doing the right thing by NOT changing your oil. Let VW/Audi change it or deal with it. You can double your mileage without and oil change and nothing will happen to your car's engine. Oil change frequencies have always been dictated by dealerships rather than manufacturers in order to get service revenue.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
These cars won't be driven on roads ever again. Don't bother wasting your time

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I think that not only is changing your oil a waste of time and money it's also more environmental waste, recycled or not. You're doing the right thing by NOT changing your oil. Let VW/Audi change it or deal with it. You can double your mileage without and oil change and nothing will happen to your car's engine. Oil change frequencies have always been dictated by dealerships rather than manufacturers in order to get service revenue.
Modern diesels run the oil quite hard and you can't double the change interval. The 10k interval is about right for the 3.0. Still I would not bother if you're just a few miles over.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Modern diesels run the oil quite hard and you can't double the change interval.
I wouldn't do that to a car I'm keeping either but your quote there is purely subjective. There's no independent lab study that's been made public that can validate that statement.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
3.0 owners are to received 1 free oil change and adblue fill after settlement but I haven't seen or heard an update. My oil is due my adblue is less than 1k to go and my buyback date is July 5. Would like to do the right thing and get the oil changed but not if there is supposed to be a free one.
Anyone got an update?
You won't have any problems as far as the oil goes; but you don't want to be stranded with a " no start" situation because of an empty Ad-Blue(Def) tank.

BARIIINGS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI Premium Plus - Hers / 2010 Audi A3 Premium Plus - Boughtback
anyone know the answer to the OP's original question? I won't be turning mine in right away, and will need an oil change as well.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Have you or the OP tried calling your local dealer? There's a chance they might know.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I wouldn't do that to a car I'm keeping either but your quote there is purely subjective. There's no independent lab study that's been made public that can validate that statement.
There are plenty if you go Google around. (example: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f93/vw-507-00-3-0-tdi-oil-analysis-results-77571.html ) Looks like opinions are mixed. Porsche specifies a longer change interval but also has a different oil spec. The TBN of 507.0 oils starts quite low so there's not a lot of margin. So without a UOA I'd stick to the manufacturer advice here.

Edit: okay, when I made my OCI decision back when I bought the car I missed that the Euro service interval is longer. Still doesn't hurt to follow the manufacturer OCI without UOA.

Last edited:

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
There are plenty if you go Google around. (example: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f93/vw-507-00-3-0-tdi-oil-analysis-results-77571.html ) Looks like opinions are mixed. Porsche specifies a longer change interval but also has a different oil spec. The TBN of 507.0 oils starts quite low so there's not a lot of margin. So without a UOA I'd stick to the manufacturer advice here.

Edit: okay, when I made my OCI decision back when I bought the car I missed that the Euro service interval is longer. Still doesn't hurt to follow the manufacturer OCI without UOA.
I hate getting an oil discussion started because there are thousands on many car websites but I'm somewhat passionate about the subject. No disagreement to follow manuf service interval and going over for a buyback is perfectly fine. However, that oil analysis that companies are making millions on is a scam because it only shows you how your oil has changed and has not correlated that to engine wear or engine life. If 50 percent reduction in whatever oil parameter you look at is still within the bounds of engine sensitivity to an engine wear parameter then it makes no difference.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I'll agree to stop here then. All my vehicles are electric at this point anyway so oil changes aren't exactly a common thing. 100k for the reduction gear and that's about it. We totally agree on the strategy for buyback recipients.

Another thread reported that there was a successful code for a bridge warranty so I would expect there is one for the oil change. Ask the dealer service advisor.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
No free oil change unless there is no approved certified fix for gen 2

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I see that. Thought it was included for Gen 1, and now upon reading the actual settlement I see it's only in that circumstance. Several of the online summaries got this wrong.

Sailj22

TDI
2009 TDI Silver
No free oil change unless there is no approved certified fix for gen 2
From the communication from VW:

Additional benefits to Class Members with Generation One vehicles, and to Class Members with any
Generation Two vehicles for which an Emissions Compliant Repair does not timely become available,
include (1) a free AdBlue refill and free oil change while waiting for the emissions modification to be
performed on their vehicle or for the Buyback/Trade-In to be completed, (2) for those who select the
Buyback option, refunds for unused portions of certain extended warranties and vehicle service plans,
and (3) for those who select the Buyback or Trade-In options, forgiveness of auto loan obligations up to
an additional 30% of the Buyback or Trade-In amount.

DBXL

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
I have a 2012 Touareg TDI (Gen 1) and today just received a free oil change and free adblue. The oil change and adblue warning lights recently turned on, and I am not planning on doing the buyback for a few months or so.

Ray102386

TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sedan, 2013 VW Jetta Premium, 2013 VW Toureg TDi Sport
I have a 2013 Touareg TDI Sport. It's time for the 60k maintenance cycle today. I requested the free oil and ad blue under the 3.0 TDI settlement. I was told I am not eligible due to that only being for the original owners. Am I missing something or is this factual? I didn't see anywhere in the settlement saying only the original owners were entitled to said benefit.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I have a 2013 Touareg TDI Sport. It's time for the 60k maintenance cycle today. I requested the free oil and ad blue under the 3.0 TDI settlement. I was told I am not eligible due to that only being for the original owners. Am I missing something or is this factual? I didn't see anywhere in the settlement saying only the original owners were entitled to said benefit.
There is no free oil/adblue change for Gen 2, at least not at this point.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
If you run in to any trouble getting this on a Gen 1 here's a tip: my dealer said it was listed as a recall.