Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
That's laughable that they're trying to 'force' people into taking off their nice winter tires and replace them with all season tires - never mind if they're on steelies or alloys!
Lol. For this car I'm not too worried as both the winter and all seasons are badly worn and need to be replaced.

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
Lol. For this car I'm not too worried as both the winter and all seasons are badly worn and need to be replaced.
yes I have to agree with that. These cars are seven years old; I'm not returning it within 60 days or something - 7 freaking depreciating years! What if I painted it pink, do I have to return it in 'factory condition'? T
At this point, all I need is one utterance that they are displeased and my trade-in changes to a f@ck-you buyback and I move on.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
yes I have to agree with that. These cars are seven years old; I'm not returning it within 60 days or something - 7 freaking depreciating years! What if I painted it pink, do I have to return it in 'factory condition'? T
At this point, all I need is one utterance that they are displeased and my trade-in changes to a f@ck-you buyback and I move on.
I'd counter with telling them that you still have the factory oil and filter in it as well :D

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Just got a call to quickly review my upcoming appointment on Monday. Quick pleasant chat, but they mentioned to bring in keys, manuals, ownership, ID (as expected) but also added that the vehicle should have the original wheels with all season tires and not extra wheels or snow tires.

I wonder if they're going to start cracking down on cars with black steelies.
If that isn't a VW stipulation then it's just your dealer looking for a better deal on the back end when they put these things up for sale. If I was walking in your shoes I'd be checking with VW on this. I dislike the dealer approach of manipulating the customer, and by manipulation I mean asking/forcing you to do things which are entirely in their favour.

I realize dealers have been hurt by this and are looking for a little comfort, but right about now the loyal VW customer isn't the one they want to start messing with.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
Made my weekly call to RP. Today I find out that my Offer Letter has been reassigned to a new audit team on 5/26...it was created on 5/9....***!!! What could possibly take so long to audit my offer letter??
Squeak louder.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I got my appointment today for the earliest avaliable time slot, 1 PM, so I called my dealer and he said come first thing in the morning, no problem. RP is blanking one hour slots and lots of these deals are taking 15 minutes so it seems there is some flexibility, at least on the day of surrender.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
If that isn't a VW stipulation then it's just your dealer looking for a better deal on the back end when they put these things up for sale. If I was walking in your shoes I'd be checking with VW on this. I dislike the dealer approach of manipulating the customer, and by manipulation I mean asking/forcing you to do things which are entirely in their favour.

I realize dealers have been hurt by this and are looking for a little comfort, but right about now the loyal VW customer isn't the one they want to start messing with.
They're putting these things back up for sale? Mine is a 2011 Jetta. I don't even know if it was someone at the dealer who called or a RP claims representative that's working there.

Anyway it's too late for them. I had been a loyal VW driver, owning only VWs since I had my license, ~20 years now. But we've already replaced both our TDIs with an EV and a PHEV.

And when it really comes down to it, based on the wording of 'not stripping OEM parts', I'd make the argument that removing the original wheels would be considered stripping parts. I have zero use for completely worn tires or used wheels and have been waiting 9 months to give this car back since it was parked. I wouldn't risk it myself to salvage 4 used wheels.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
2 of my factory alloys were damaged 3 years ago by a large pothole. I couldn't afford to replace them and found I like the ride of the smaller 15 inch wheels.****

**** this story represents fabricated BS but it will be my story if they seem to feel the need to interrogate me

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
2 of my factory alloys were damaged 3 years ago by a large pothole. I couldn't afford to replace them and found I like the ride of the smaller 15 inch wheels.****

**** this story represents fabricated BS but it will be my story if they seem to feel the need to interrogate me
LOL. My 2nd TDI has a badly bent wheel from a large pothole a few months ago. I threw it in the trunk and put the spare on. Curious to see what they'll say.

In all seriousness, if one has changed something like the stereo or swapped wheels/tires to something different, I don't think it's a big deal nor do I think they will stop the buyback because of it.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
They're putting these things back up for sale?
It will depend if a fix for the first generation cars is available. Then they will decide based on year and condition of the car whether it is worth it to fix and resell, or whether to junk it.

I suspect the ones they won't sell, will be stripped for the parts that are usable which will then be used for collision repairs, etc. Whether VW does that themselves or sells them for salvage value to a salvage yard, is anyone's guess, but I suspect the latter. The same will happen if there's no fix. My guess anyway.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Local dealer was processing their first buyback last Saturday when I was in there, it was a Golf wagon with real ugly winter tires and steel rims. I didn't hear any dealer complaints and the owner was already gone.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Local dealer was processing their first buyback last Saturday when I was in there, it was a Golf wagon with real ugly winter tires and steel rims. I didn't hear any dealer complaints and the owner was already gone.
LOL. My 2nd TDI has a badly bent wheel from a large pothole a few months ago. I threw it in the trunk and put the spare on. Curious to see what they'll say.
In all seriousness, if one has changed something like the stereo or swapped wheels/tires to something different, I don't think it's a big deal nor do I think they will stop the buyback because of it.
The wheel situation has been covered, beaten to death, then resurrected, and beaten to death again.

Winter wheels are fine. Your spare will be fine.

My car is going back on three old winter tires, bent steelies, and a spare....

Darkone

TDI
'15 A8L TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI
The wheel situation has been covered, beaten to death, then resurrected, and beaten to death again.
Winter wheels are fine. Your spare will be fine.
My car is going back on three old winter tires, bent steelies, and a spare....
Mine too, not worried about it at all. I actually gave my nice rims to someone for a crappy looking 16 inch rims with winter tires.
I'm saying goodbye to my Passat tomorrow and sure will miss it. The payout is simply too good to pass on.
On the weekend trip to Kelowna from Calgary the other day I was getting 4.4L/100KM real mileage not as per MMI.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Buy back w/Trade-in:

Documents submitted May 1st
Approval and Green check marks May 4th

5 separate phone calls to RP, all of which didn't help in any way.

Offer Letter received May 30th

Now stuck on the fence ever since... Sign & return or switch to straight buy back and start over :confused:

Waiting to hear from my dealer about ordering a 2018 Alltrack w/6M.

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
I saw that as well so decided to try it out. Submitted a new claim using a different email address on Wednesday morning and got my offer yesterday afternoon!
Offer signed and uploaded this morning, I hope it doesn't take long to finalize it so that I can book my appointment, and then cancel my original claim which was submitted on April 29th.
this is one pathetic process! So uploaded docs, approved, and letter of offer in a day? W*T*F? I'm still waiting for an offer and I submitted on April 28th.
Oh well, I'm not going let this ruin a perfectly good Friday.
However on Monday maybe I'll create a couple hundred new email addresses and spend Tuesday uploading docs to all of them.
As someone else [Rob?] stated, they should have made the VIN a unique key.

Last edited:

sbt007

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I saw that as well so decided to try it out. Submitted a new claim using a different email address on Wednesday morning and got my offer yesterday afternoon!
Offer signed and uploaded this morning, I hope it doesn't take long to finalize it so that I can book my appointment, and then cancel my original claim which was submitted on April 29th.
You have to be kidding me :)

Please keep us updated when you cancel your original claim. How can this even happen? two different queues? The "auditor" has been sitting on mine for 25 days. Mine was also submitted late on April 29.

Last edited:

YCdubber

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline TDI
You have to be kidding me :)
Please keep us updated when you cancel your original claim. How can this even happen? two different queues? The "auditor" has been sitting on mine for 25 days.
I was hesitant to do it just for the fact that I work in a service desk environment and hate it when duplicate requests are sent in, but that's what happens when you fall behind and I was simply tired of waiting and seeing other claims go thru quickly.
I have no idea what's taking so long to process claims sent on opening weekend, but considering they confirmed there were issues with the portal and claims submitted on that weekend. I have to assume that something happened that made it a lot more complicate to process these claims compared to new claims submitted after the issues were addressed.
Perhaps they have different people working on these claims or perhaps its just cherry picking by the analysts as they don't want to work on the ones that require more work.
Anyways, that's all speculation on my part, but i've worked in enough service desks at the private and gov level to know that its never 100% FIFO.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
this is one pathetic process! So uploaded docs, approved, and letter of offer in a day? W*T*F? I'm still waiting for an offer and I submitted on April 28th.
Oh well, I'm not going let this ruin a perfectly good Friday.
However on Monday maybe I'll create a couple hundred new email addresses and spend Tuesday uploading docs to all of them.
As someone else [Rob?] stated, they should have made the VIN a unique key.
You must hve been the only one in Canada who had access to a working portal on the 28th of April.....maybe that's why your file is stuck.

sbt007

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I was hesitant to do it just for the fact that I work in a service desk environment and hate it when duplicate requests are sent in, but that's what happens when you fall behind and I was simply tired of waiting and seeing other claims go thru quickly.
I have no idea what's taking so long to process claims sent on opening weekend, but considering they confirmed there were issues with the portal and claims submitted on that weekend. I have to assume that something happened that made it a lot more complicate to process these claims compared to new claims submitted after the issues were addressed.
Perhaps they have different people working on these claims or perhaps its just cherry picking by the analysts as they don't want to work on the ones that require more work.
Anyways, that's all speculation on my part, but i've worked in enough service desks at the private and gov level to know that its never 100% FIFO.
I think there was something wrong with the system on those days, and therefore those claims do not show up the screen of regular claims people who are processing it. So someone has to explicitly search for those days and puck up the ones stuck. Anyway, I'll go your route as well.

YCdubber

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon Comfortline TDI
I think there was something wrong with the system on those days, and therefore those claims do not show up the screen of regular claims people who are processing it. So someone has to explicitly search for those days and puck up the ones stuck. Anyway, I'll go your route as well.
Another thing I found interesting is that when I submitted my new claim Wednesday morning, the documents were approved withing minutes. However I only received the email confirmation Thursday afternoon 1 minute prior to receiving an email to say that my offer had been approved.

With my old claim stuck on Step 15 for weeks now, I called a few weeks ago and requested an escalations, soon after, maybe a day, don't remember I got an email confirmation that my documents were approved but nothing after. Is it possible that an auditor tried to approve my claim and it went into a black hole somewhere. Either way I think its more evidence that suggests that claims submitted on opening weekend are messed up.

ecode

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Another thing I found interesting is that when I submitted my new claim Wednesday morning, the documents were approved withing minutes. However I only received the email confirmation Thursday afternoon 1 minute prior to receiving an email to say that my offer had been approved.
With my old claim stuck on Step 15 for weeks now, I called a few weeks ago and requested an escalations, soon after, maybe a day, don't remember I got an email confirmation that my documents were approved but nothing after. Is it possible that an auditor tried to approve my claim and it went into a black hole somewhere. Either way I think its more evidence that suggests that claims submitted on opening weekend are messed up.
Oh, they definitely are, 100%. I submitted the first day, and was stuck on Step 15 until I called yesterday and got reset to step 8 (I want to play with the calculator some more). That's sitting on step 15 for over a month.

If you are a 'first submitter' then you better call in and get it sorted, cause otherwise you aren't moving anywhere.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Those Keeping Gen 2 Passat automatics and getting fix

I bought my 2012 Passat TDI w DSG after sept. 2015 so I am only eligible to get the "Approved emissions modification" From what I can tell it will be just a software flash which ups adblue schedule. Only thing is my check engine light is on for "nox circuit bank 1" I have not fixed it as it is a 1500$ fix and the warranty covers all emissions components after the mod is done. I was told by a vw service guy prior to the announcement of the gen 2 fix that I will have to fix my nox sensor prior to them doing the approved modification. That does not seem right to me. Any thoughts? I really don't want to have to shell that out as this system has been problematic after having read LOTS of posts about this problem. I did the connector seal recall on the nox sensor but was told the problem is the sensor. There is no booklet for Canada yet saying exactly what will be done like there is for vw America. Rice point and vw Canada really were of no help.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
You must hve been the only one in Canada who had access to a working portal on the 28th of April.....maybe that's why your file is stuck.
I was able to submit on the evening of the 28th. Uploaded all my docs and was stuck in a black hole for almost two weeks. I called RP and managed to land on an agent that seemed on the ball, he said "you're right, it shouldn't take that long", and a day later the docs were approved. Then another long wait for the offer. Called RP again, but no luck, they wouldn't talk to me as I am clearly not my wife (!) who is the registered owner. I even contemplated calling again in a falsetto voice :eek:

Then I managed, on the Friday before Victoria Day, to open a channel with class counsel, and behold on V. Day I got the offer. Then another 9 day wait and another call to counsel and now I have my appointment. So yeah, I think those first day or two claims are problematic.

I just hope I don't have to call counsel to get the return agent to show up for the appointment!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
Got routed to the US call center somehow. Lady tells me she doesn't understand what is going on with my claim. Says my offer letter is just sitting there and doesn't know why no one has sent it out yet. Read out all the amounts back to me. I'm so angry with this sh** for brains lawfirm. They can go f*** themselves. :mad:

sbt007

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Got routed to the US call center somehow. Lady tells me she doesn't understand what is going on with my claim. Says my offer letter is just sitting there and doesn't know why no one has sent it out yet. Read out all the amounts back to me. I'm so angry with this sh** for brains lawfirm. They can go f*** themselves. :mad:
the story I have been told is that the generated offer letters go to an "auditor" which is a separate department and they will approve and send it out - and apparently there is no way to know how long it will take.

giovanni1

TDI
Trendline Sportwagon
Finally, Finally. Finally got the green on my signed offer sheet.

Good to go in late June!

Doing a trade in for a 2015 TDI Sportwagon.:D

giovanni1

TDI
Trendline Sportwagon
I know what you mean about the plumbing, and I took a long time to finally decide on the 2015.

I figure that the extra warranty will cover all of those things for a very long time.

kodered

TDI
2012 Jetta
the story I have been told is that the generated offer letters go to an "auditor" which is a separate department and they will approve and send it out - and apparently there is no way to know how long it will take.
Goons working over there. Been waiting since early May for the "auditors". Rejected mid May and full circle again.

Divedeputy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2.0
I was able to submit on the evening of the 28th. Uploaded all my docs and was stuck in a black hole for almost two weeks. I called RP and managed to land on an agent that seemed on the ball, he said "you're right, it shouldn't take that long", and a day later the docs were approved. Then another long wait for the offer. Called RP again, but no luck, they wouldn't talk to me as I am clearly not my wife (!) who is the registered owner. I even contemplated calling again in a falsetto voice :eek:

Then I managed, on the Friday before Victoria Day, to open a channel with class counsel, and behold on V. Day I got the offer. Then another 9 day wait and another call to counsel and now I have my appointment. So yeah, I think those first day or two claims are problematic.

I just hope I don't have to call counsel to get the return agent to dhow up for the appointment!!! :rolleyes:
Bizarre, what other word is there? I would suppose RP began hiring CSRs shortly before the portal became active...that seems to fit the timeline for lack of training etc. Along this winding way I had an escalation to a specialist who didn't know anything, literally. He was affable when at one point I said, "You're supposed to be a specialist," to which he replied, "Yeah, I know."

It's funny, now that I'm through all the hoops. Very much otherwise if you're stuck somewhere along the way.

Torqlvr

TDI
2012 Passat
Sorry but, boohoo my closet dealer is 230km, one way.

Everyone has said here, and in the states that you can not pick up your new car on the same day. Maybe caller the dealer, not the RP Rep and see if there is something that can be worked out, otherwise plan on not driving home with that new car, all 40km.
Fyi

I confirmed this morning with my dealer's TDI ambassador, that I will be able to drive away (buyback with trade-in) in the new to me replacement vehicle at the time of my appointment. Happy for this as I live 50 km away.