need advice re: Reliable daily driver build - BEW 17/22

RichJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD 5spd
I have an 04 BEW tdi with a stock engine but 17/22 turbo. I want to build it for longevity (head gaskets) and of course some power but I don't need to max the turbo. I am at 570,000 kms on the engine and would like it to last many more.

Injectors - How much can I expect from the stock injectors? I am searching for pd150's but I would prefer to spend the money elsewhere if I can hit decent power levels without upgrading. I don't want excess smoke either. I have a spare BEW set I could upgrade nozzle on but thats not in the budget at the moment.

Exhaust - I would probably go with a buzzken 2.5" downpipe with a cat or would 3" be a better choice? the catback i am thinking of making myself as I am learning how to weld stainless.

Intake - I removed the butterflies so they don't end up in the motor. What tuning levels need an upgrade or is it a no-brainer to go pd150?

Clutch - would a G60/VR6 sasch clutch hold? I am thinking stage 4-5

I am planning on a FMIC. I saw a saab 900 cross flow fmic at the wreckers I am thinking about using or a volvo one the size of a radiator. What affects do these have on lag? can it be adjusted in the tune to compensate?

Thanks!

Richard

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Assuming that all the maintenance is up to date and the engine is otherwise in good running order, a solid tune would be your best bet first and the a 2.5" exhaust with no cat. You can go 3" if you want, but no benefit at the power levels you're going for (just more noise and weight).

The stock injectors are fine for your power goals as well.

Intake and FMIC are more supporting modifications if you feel the need. For 99.9% of your driving, neither will make any difference (same can be said for exhaust as well). One of my cars has a stock SMIC and another has a huge FMIC - both run 5-10F over ambient 99.9% of the time. If I'm at high boost for more than 15-20 sec the SMIC IAT's start to go up to 40-50F over ambient, but after 15-20 sec it's at way over any legal speed anyway so unless your goal is to track the car where you're using high power for long periods of time, I wouldn't bother. Same with the intake manifold - not much to be gained there either in my opinion for the time/$ spent unless you're going for big power or you just want to do it.

The tune can be made to make your stock clutch hold, but you'll be giving up some fun. The G60/VR6 is the most economical choice and will likely be capable of living under your power goals, but will likely be on the edge. I've had good luck with South Bend, but there are others out there that are good as well for anything that you'd be looking at power/torque wise. They're much more expensive though.

RichJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD 5spd
Thanks for your input, I think i will go with the 2.5" and leave most everything else stock. I am considering an air to water intercooler as I already have several components. I might go with a different intake so I can move the piping to the drivers side but otherwise I am happy with what I have.

Richard