looking to build tdi-powered daily driver, looking for ideas

stmotorsports

TDI
none yet
So I've been contemplating a new daily driver as I've been driving quite a bit more for work lately and fuel costs are owning me. Definitely wanting something turbo diesel powered with decent power that I could run on wvo, ideally something slightly more luxury and/or just plain really cool (gotta be worth doing), and ideally something fairly straightforward that can be done without having to take out a second mortgage on my house (read: cheaper the better- minimal machining required, etc). I have pretty extensive fabricating skills and resources, but like I said it's gotta be worth doing.

I was originally thinking something like a tdi swapped BMW E36 or E34, completely forgetting that tdi's are fwd and bimmers are rwd. I've considered an older 40's-50's car or truck with a turbo diesel V8 but something like that would be far less fuel efficient and thats an awful lot of mass to have to lug around as a dd.

thoughts?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
that`s a no brainer: buy-build an Audi diesel. ALL Audis come as diesels in other markets, so just chose your model, buy a US registered one (with luck, with bad engine) and buy a Euro version donor car from one of our many sources on this site and have them ship everything but the body to you. Has been done a few times already.

Alternatively, just buy an M-B E class diesel.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If you are needing a daily driver for fuel economy, start shopping for a used Jetta/Golf/NB, preferably, 99.5 thru 03 with the ALH engine! After all, unless you already have an engine and all the associated peices parts (wiring, ECU, accelerator pedal, etc.), you're going to be shopping anyway!

Doing an engine conversion is no easy task.........and very time consuming!

Lastly, TDI engines don't like WVO (sure, that statement will start an arguement, no doubt). I would certainly not be putting WVO in any of my TDIs....no way!

Good luck with your project!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
How old would you consider?
Audi 5000 / 100 diesel?
IDI, so far more tolerant of WVO, more luxury / cool factor than more ordinary diesels, but scarce even in 1985....

stmotorsports

TDI
none yet
I have definitely considered doing an Audi, problem there is I would want to do a C5 body or newer, which are 97+, which is OBD2, which requires annual emmissions inspection where I live. No go. Anything 97+ has to already be diesel and able to be run on wvo. Wvo is the deal breaker here, if I cant run on wvo I'm not interested. Thats kind of the whole point of the project. The prob with Benz is I just can't get into the older boxy tanks, I'd want to do something like 96+ which are still pricey compared to more typical cars.

These cars are actually a big part of what has led to this being a dilemma for me

unless anyone has any bright ideas on how to register a car in a different county than the one your primary residence is in?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
2002 Jeep Liberty - needs engine - $2000 (Loudoun, VA)

Date: 2011-06-27, 10:27AM EDT
Reply to: sale-epug4-2464711747@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport with under 150,000 miles and great tires. Includes Pioneer sound system with NAV, XM-ready radio and iPhone/iPod adapter in dash. NEEDS A NEW ENGINE. Selling for $2,000 or BEST OFFER. Email only -- can email pictures upon request.

Thank you.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2464711747

http://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/2464711747.html

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/ctd/2437643487.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2461356621.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2460324378.html

http://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/2454523195.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2454107265.html

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/2453762136.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2421508764.html

Last edited:

stmotorsports

TDI
none yet
As I mentioned previously, part of the dilemma here is that you technically CAN NOT legally swap a diesel into an originally gasoline fueled car, and DEFINITELY NOT 96+ which are OBD2 and requires an annual inspection where I live. I'm pretty sure the tech performing the inspection will figure out that any of those cars listed are not supposed to be diesel to begin with, not to mention when they hook it up to the emissions computer its going to throw all kinds of red flags, a major one of which being that the car is running an ecu (and engine) out of the wrong year, wrong make, wrong fuel, etc.

Remember I want to drive this thing not just build it so it can sit in my yard because i couldn't register it

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Honestly, sounds a lot like you're setting all your restrictions too tight. HAS to be early 90s, for your emissions issues and taste in cars.

HAS to be able to run WVO- this is a kicker right here. Newer engines are less tolerant of inconsistencies and screwups, which even the best WVO user can have. Going diesel you'll already be getting much better economy, why dork around with something like that? It's not free, it is a lot of work, and it can be messy and disastrously catastrophic. I did it for a while. I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

HAS to be cheap, HAS to be available, HAS to be this that and the other... Swaps are about compromises. Might I suggest you compromise on that one in the middle there, about your WVO?

sonic reducer

TDI
1997 passat tdi
So I've been contemplating a new daily driver as I've been driving quite a bit more for work lately and fuel costs are owning me. Definitely wanting something turbo diesel powered with decent power that I could run on wvo, ideally something slightly more luxury and/or just plain really cool (gotta be worth doing), and ideally something fairly straightforward that can be done without having to take out a second mortgage on my house (read: cheaper the better- minimal machining required, etc). I have pretty extensive fabricating skills and resources, but like I said it's gotta be worth doing.

I was originally thinking something like a tdi swapped BMW E36 or E34, completely forgetting that tdi's are fwd and bimmers are rwd. I've considered an older 40's-50's car or truck with a turbo diesel V8 but something like that would be far less fuel efficient and thats an awful lot of mass to have to lug around as a dd.

thoughts?
I dont see why you dont just buy a a VW tdi car. they are nice enough to drive and youre likely to spend less just buying one rather than building, probably in parts cost alone not to mention if your time is worth anything to you. also if you are wanting to do an engine conversion from a cost savings standpoint, the break even point is going to be far into the future. of course, buying one is nowhere near as cool as a swap.

Last edited:

stmotorsports

TDI
none yet
...of course, buying one is nowhere near as cool as a swap.
Ding, thats the one. Anyone can just go buy something. I want something preferably sick cool, and preferably that noone else has. VWs are a dime a dozen, even tdis. Sure you can customize anything to make it more your own, but what can you really do that will potentially make the car crazy cool besides a really cool swap? Big stupid rims, goofy paint jobs and/or graphics, body kits, wings, slam it to the ground so that every day driving to work I can hate my life because my car rides so poorly...
I'm just so tired of all of that. Plus tdi's are still pretty pricey considering. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind having a nice tdi jetta but for the same price range I'm betting I could build something custom that I would be happier with in the end. At this point I think I'm leaning towards E36/E34 BMWs, but we'll see...

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
IF you get engine/parts for cheap
IF you get car for cheap
IF you labor/fabrication/tuning for cheap
AND IF you place no value on your time
THEN you MIGHT create this car for less then a ready to drive MKIV or V; but not likely
Your parameters are limiting your options to create what you want. It has been proven time and time again that WVO in a TDI is not a reliable long term combination; ALH will do ok for while, PD's and all those there after less so. Fuel system repair costs will get you in the end.

BTW the Jeep Libertys had a diesel option, one with a blown engine is a gateway to a diesel swap that will pass muster with DMV/inspection (as long as they don't look to close); Grand Cherokee also had a diesel for awhile as well.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Old small BMW coupe/sedan... Old Miata.. Something small, something RWD, something that came with manual gearbox. 1960's Ford Falcon??? 1980's Datsun B210???

We've got the guy on this site ACTIVELY swapping a tdi/5sp into a 70's Corvette. Now that is going to be cool.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
The liberty diesel was common rail, not the best for waste oil.

Ski's suggestion of a Falcon would be cool.

For the WVO requirement something like a 7.3L PSD would be more tolerant and present fewer problems than a TDI would.

Option: Buy one of these, pick up a used 6 speed manual from craigslist and a stock turbo from ebay then put it in some old American Iron.

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
I have definitely considered doing an Audi, problem there is I would want to do a C5 body or newer, which are 97+, which is OBD2, which requires annual emmissions inspection where I live. No go. Anything 97+ has to already be diesel and able to be run on wvo. Wvo is the deal breaker here, if I cant run on wvo I'm not interested. Thats kind of the whole point of the project. The prob with Benz is I just can't get into the older boxy tanks, I'd want to do something like 96+ which are still pricey compared to more typical cars.

These cars are actually a big part of what has led to this being a dilemma for me

unless anyone has any bright ideas on how to register a car in a different county than the one your primary residence is in?
I'm surprised that in NC you have emissions inspections. You could always buy a small plot of land in SC, register the car here, and ride on. I always thought that if you swapped an engine in, for emissions it had to be older than the chassis and meet the emissions standard for that engine that you put in. There might be other ways around it but I wouldn't know without more research. Good Luck!! You're like me....dare to be different!:D

stmotorsports

TDI
none yet
mech644- I can usually find pretty sick deals on cars and parts. Also as I mentioned I do my own fab/welding/labor. And its not that I put no value on my time, I invest my time on things that I find worthwhile. Like vastly improving my fuel mileage, and hopefully also carbon footprint, all while rocking a cool ass car. I briefly considered the Jeeps but as Honeydew mentioned they are also common rail so probably no go on the wvo. From what I understand all vehicles have to maintain their original fuel ie-gas need to stay gas, no diesel conversions. Just because there may have been a diesel version of the same model doesn't mean you can swap, it goes by vin and ecu. So when you go in to get your annual emissions inspection in your vehicle that was originally gas but now it's diesel its a guaranteed fail, possible (huge) fine(s), and possible (lengthy) jail time. Ie: federal offense. You can swap engines in the event of a damaged engine to a same year or newer spec, but fuel type needs to stay same for same.
We do have emissions inspections here in NC but not all counties. I'm still exploring options with this, although fed laws are same especially for 96+ vehicles. The risk of getting busted for doing something illegal as hell is just slightly less. I'm not sure where/if there is a cutoff year-wise, it seems you can pretty much do whatever you want with old pre-75ish vehicles(?). At this rate, I *might* just drop a duramax into my 54 Belair...

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I am no expert on the NC emission/swap laws, but I think they are pretty liberal, especially the older the swap vehicle. Also, in my town there are shops that "handle" the inspections with very little fuss, as long as you are in the "in crowd". Wink, Wink.

Figure out what you would like to swap, then talk to friendly shops and see if it can fly. Get that sorted on the front end and then DO IT.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
As I mentioned previously, part of the dilemma here is that you technically CAN NOT legally swap a diesel into an originally gasoline fueled car, and DEFINITELY NOT 96+ which are OBD2 and requires an annual inspection where I live. I'm pretty sure the tech performing the inspection will figure out that any of those cars listed are not supposed to be diesel to begin with, not to mention when they hook it up to the emissions computer its going to throw all kinds of red flags, a major one of which being that the car is running an ecu (and engine) out of the wrong year, wrong make, wrong fuel, etc.

Remember I want to drive this thing not just build it so it can sit in my yard because i couldn't register it
it can be done legally in NC....I personally know of two people who have swapped TDI's into gasoline OBDII cars IN North Carolina....also I spoke to someone (not just someone I know his name) in title and registration at the NCDMV in raleigh and he assured me it can be done