left side lights intermittently stay on after switching off.

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
I have had a problem with the left side of my lights staying on after switching them off. now the strange thing about this is that it has only happened at one of my friends house. when i pull up and shut off the car and my lights there is a ding as if i had left the lights on. the switch is in the off position, and the right half of the lights are off. btw it's an 06 jetta tdi

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
do you mean one of your headlights stays on? or the small city-light that is part of the highbeam reflector?

many vw's (if not all) can illuminate one side or the other, if you turn your L or R signal on when your car is off.

From what I understood about your description, maybe your turn signal lever has an issue?

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
Well, i do make a left hand turn to pull into the driveway. maybe i'll experiment with this and see the results. i always thought that it might have something to do with the relay, like maybe half of the switch might be sticking. But to answer your question if the light switch was on with the car off. Now all of the lights on the right hand side of the car are off leaving the lights on the left, on.

Last edited:

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
European Parking Lights.
Leave the Turn Signal in the Left Turn position, and the Left side Parking lights stay on, leave it in the Right position, and the Right side Parking lights stay on.

Pretty cool, huh?

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
Tim Birney said:
European Parking Lights.
Leave the Turn Signal in the Left Turn position, and the Left side Parking lights stay on, leave it in the Right position, and the Right side Parking lights stay on.

Pretty cool, huh?
i guess, what's the point. leave one side on so ppl drving by can more easily see your car? or did you just make that up.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
In some German citys, because some of the streets are so narrow, the law says that when you park on the street at night, you must leave the city lights (parking lights) on the traffic side of the car on.

MBs have the city lights feature as 2 extra positions on the light switch.

All Mark 5s VWs have the city lights feature incorperated into the turn signal switch.

T.D.

Last edited:

Hype

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI/dsg
Ol'Rattler said:
In some German citys, because some of the streets are so narrow, the law says that when you park on the street at night, you must leave the city lights (parking lights) on the traffic side of the car on.

MBs have the city lights feature as 2 extra positions on the light switch.

All Mark 5s VWs have the city lights feature incorperated into the turn signal switch.

T.D.
How long before the battery dies? Just curious, I've always wanted to leave it on for the safety aspect of it (Downtown Vancouver streets can be faily narrrow especially in the Yaletown district) but I fear coming back to a No Start condition due to a drained battery.

Thanks

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Not really sure how long they last, but I'd imagine it would be at least all night.

In city light mode none of the usuall dash lights light and since only parking lights on one side illuminate, I'd imagine the battery drain is pretty small.

T.D.

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
Hype said:
How long before the battery dies? Just curious, I've always wanted to leave it on for the safety aspect of it (Downtown Vancouver streets can be faily narrrow especially in the Yaletown district) but I fear coming back to a No Start condition due to a drained battery.

Thanks

I've left the one side on for around ten hours or so with no problem starting up.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I
MyAvocation said:
For what its worth this Easter Egg doesn't work on my A5. Would come in handy when visiting Chi-town.
I could be mistaken about it working with all A5s. Consider the following:

When it works there is no indication inside the car. With the engine off, the light switch off, the key removed from the ignition and the turn signal to the left or the right, open the door and the door chime will sound indicating the city lights on one side or the other are on. The door chimes is definatly a multi-tasker on this car.

Report back if you can make it work....................

T.D.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Tim Birney said:
The feature was de-contented sometime in '06.
My Mark 5 Jetta has a build date of 06/06 and does have the feature from the factory.

I'll take a look at the controller with Vag-Com and try to see if there is a way to turn the feature on and off.

sshoretdi

TDI
jetta gl tdi 2006 white with gti mags
i have the same problem but intermitent , my parking lights are on ,on the passanger side,

i get the warning sound when I open the door.

What is the remedy ?

2006 MK5 JETTA TDI

sshoretdi

TDI
jetta gl tdi 2006 white with gti mags
Problem solved !!!

the right side turn signal was on, this is so funny, I disconnected the battery, to avoid drainage , and took my other car beacuse of that

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Make sure you're turn signal isn't on when you shut the car down.
This is a supposed safety feature for overnight parking in europe.
It can be disabled with vcds but I can't recall which controller.
Did it to my 13 Jetta and switched it off again as I saw no real use for it.
IIRC it's in group 9 or 17

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Sebtech

TDI
Jetta TDI 1.9 2006
do you mean one of your headlights stays on? or the small city-light that is part of the highbeam reflector?

many vw's (if not all) can illuminate one side or the other, if you turn your L or R signal on when your car is off.

From what I understood about your description, maybe your turn signal lever has an issue?

THANKS A MILLION !! Felt stupid after I turned Off my left flasher ??