Power window issue. Need help!

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
Ok each window moves up and down freely with it's specific switch located under each window. Driver's side also moves freely with it's individual switch. Now here is where it falls apart. lol. From the driver's side master panel the passenger side window does not move at all, the two rear windows when controlled by the driver's side master panel move in a studder fashion both up and down. So they move erratically by randomly stopping and starting. Only when you use the driver's side master panel.

So if anyone has any advice please fire away. Thanks.

1975 Kombi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2011 Touareg TDI, 1992 D Jetta, 1992 TD Jetta, 2001 NB TDI, 1992 Golf coupe D
Ok found the answer. Seems that the power window module ID numbers have to match. Even if same MK4 motors part number the module number id above it can be different. I used a regulator panel from a MK4 jetta in my MK4 Golf. Motor works fine separately but the communication between motor/module/computer was messed and confused all the windows. Might also have been the amps on the slightly different motor.

So there are two parts numbers. 1 for the motor and a 3 letter id for the module attached to the motor. The motor parts numbers matched but the module id's were different.

Once I put the original motor with matching 3 letter id module as the drivers side all communication and issues disappeared and all the windows work perfectly from all switches.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Great job! thanks for posting back.
I got a related problem. One of the buttons in the switch is broken, it still works, but feels like a loose tooth. Can these switches be repaired or should I just order a new one?

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I don't think you can get parts for them.
I read a post with a link showing the drivers door rear windows buttons are missing a tab under them that triggers auto down.
If you replace the switch the old one could be used for the 2 tabs.