Shopping for better rates on car insurance VW Golf TDi

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
MODs, please move if not in correct area

The insurance company I am now with is not important. But I have have the same agency and company for decades.

I shopped 3 different ins firms the last 48 hours.

2 cars (2015 Golf TDi and 2015 RAV4) plus home.

Regarding the questions on my TDi two of the firms went into heavy questioning, regarding any modifications

Like:

Have you made any changes to the drive train?
Is you car "stock"?
Have you changed the HP?

No questions were ask about the (gasser) RAV4

Both COMP and Collision (same levels) were approx 50% higher on the TDi than the RAV4

All this interest on my part was sparked by 2 increases in my monthly cost last 12 months. All due to the TDi.

No fault to us, like tickets

Anyone out there getting insurance increases (not your fault) on your TDIs?

tonestar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf TDI (Canadian Import) 5 Speed, 2015 Golf TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE (connectivity) DSG
The insurance company I am now with is not important. But I have have the same agency and company for decades.
Regarding the questions on my TDi two of the firms went into heavy questioning, regarding any modifications
Like:
Is you car "stock"?
Have you changed the HP?
Both COMP and Collision (same levels) were approx 50% higher on the TDi than the RAV4
All this interest on my part was sparked by 2 increases in my monthly cost last 12 months. All due to the TDi.
My insurance was less on my 2015 golf tdi than my 2016 Acura ILX by about $120 yearly....

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We use Country Mutual, which we have done for 40 years, whether or not that means anything. But our rates are stable, probably because we're in our '70s and live in a small midwestern city, which factors are probably not seen as high risk. Maybe the Passat we drive has something to do with it, too, but they've never asked about mods, tuning, etc.
If I was sixteen again (perish the thought!) and lived in a geographically risky area, I would expect my rates to be much higher. Life is more lethal for sixteen year old drivers than for any combat soldier in Afghanistan.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We use Country Mutual, which we have done for 40 years, whether or not that means anything. But our rates are stable, probably because we're in our '70s and live in a small midwestern city, which factors are probably not seen as high risk. Maybe the Passat we drive has something to do with it, too, but they've never asked about mods, tuning, etc.
If I was sixteen again (perish the thought!) and lived in a geographically risky area, I would expect my rates to be much higher. Life is more lethal for sixteen year old drivers than for any combat soldier in Afghanistan.
As I have had my currant ins co. for decades, no one ever ask me either. But they did hit my rate on the TDi (not the RAV4) which was the reason for shopping other firms.

In taking to "other ins firms," they did say SF was raising rates for a large area even bigger than OK. But this was just speculation on thier part.

Would seem fair(er) if the individual(s) who are making claims to pay more. Much more:mad:

Question for all:

Do you know of any firms who discount for garage kept cars? Top tier FICO scores? Very low miles driven, like 2,500 per year?

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Geico

If you can't get a quote via online yourself and are "required" to speak with an "agent" - you're likely paying too much. Less people interaction = cheaper, just like most things now-a-days.

CRSMP5

Veteran Member
TDI
idi
yes companies do exist where garage kept/low mileage exist.. hagerty for example... people tend to use it more for a collector type car... id say dieselgate cars will be rair so may qualify?? honestly.. a smart i wanna keep it till the end should contact people like hagerty and insure them stated value for the buy back quote.. so if totaled by buy back end date get buy back amount

my white kubvan is up to 171/year 16k stated value, 0 deductable and no milage limit.. they add $750/year in stated value for $4/year increase started under 150/year :) this is thru classic collectors though.. im waiting to see how much the stated value gets... before someone says wait a min.. its up to 20k on something that started at 10k.. id be stupid to not total it and buy a few more at that point.. :) burnt toast is safe.. he cannot be replaced that easy... but honestly.. it makes me wonder... cause unless it burnt or got t boned so hard it could not be fixed.. alot can be spent on fixing him right before it gets to a totaled state

my 84 coupe, and 96 jetta are under 50/mo thru progressive

blue kubvan they want 100/mo as its unmodded and the people who insure white one refuse along with every other company except progressive who swear it can only have commercal insurance :( both have true kubvan vin numbers.. not rebadged..

one day ill find a way to also insure my b3 wagon td conversion and jackrabbit and the blue kubvan and keep costs in reason.. damb car horders.. :D but i do have historicals on all but 1 :p so got plate fees in reason.. only have to buy 1 a year :) and yes all are in the garage.. ive had my agent for 23 years.. he finds me deals better then automated computer systems... hagerty for example.. in computer all my collection is 750/year but real life when you receive paper on it was over 2k...

Last edited:

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Geico

If you can't get a quote via online yourself and are "required" to speak with an "agent" - you're likely paying too much. Less people interaction = cheaper, just like most things now-a-days.
My insurance with Geico was $50 more a month than USAA ($100) here in Florida. Same coverage, same clean record.

Alas, my oldest is taking her drivers test on Thursday... there go my rates (she has to pay the difference).

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got unsolicited letter from Travelers

It said I could apply for a quote, and get a $20 SHELL gas card.

I have the quote. (not competitive with my currant ins.)

Wife, or someone, will use it:)

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
My insurance with Geico was $50 more a month than USAA ($100) here in Florida. Same coverage, same clean record.
Some time back USAA raised my two-car insurance policy 54 per cent.

Calling the retired two-star CEO was a waste - - - unlike my personally speaking to the retired one-star P-38 pilot CEO when I was wearing silver bars.

I've been with Geico since.

When I ask USAA for a two-car quote............(they remain noncompetitive). Sad.

YMMV

USAA - to be fair - remains VERY competitive for Homeowner's insurance.

ez (Navy)

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Strange, the issues with USAA going up so high.

For me, I just went to USAA when Progressive had been creeping up steadily for ~6 months, with no reason or cause.
When I moved to USAA, my rates went down by ~60%.

Geico has always been non-competitive in their quotes for my business, for some reason. My first time getting one from them was almost 50% above the Costco insurance provider that I was using at the time.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Maybe the USAA issue is due to age, location or a few losses in your area ....
Have USAA and it was within $10-15 of the best price I could get...so simply stayed with them because their service and ease of use is second to none.
Found the same with homeowners, and our mortgage.
So close it wasn't worth the effort to move or not use them.

To the OP
shop around... having friends who work DEEPLY in the insurance industry, it's all numbers and models from the accuariry....and the difference between companies and their business plans are what makes the $$ varry a bit.

Personally, service is worth $$ to me...have heard horror stories from others...me, have never had even a issue. Heck, as a customer, USAA has always seemed to work for ME.
They even took a slight $$ hit when our mortgage loan, which they said they would always service was caught up in the GMAC bankruptcy and the usaa contract was voided, and servicing was started by SKUM IDIOTS AT GREEN TREE, where they would cash the check, but not apply it to the loan!! Yes, usaa stepped up, did a true 0 cost re-fi, and even adjusted the loan amount to make it so we were not harmed by the ongoing issues with the new loan company. Made me a customer for life. HONESTLY.
I hope your agent works similarly for you.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
How would you feel if you paid XXX dollars for your insurance and a neighbor on the other side of the street everything being the same, either pays less or more.
Someone on another block, again everything being equal may pay more or less.

At least where I live in Canada the insurance companies have different rates depending on your postal code (ZIP) ! That of course also includes age, experience driving etc., accident free.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Must be nice to not have government run insurance.... Pay per car here, regardless how many you have. Meaning you could have five cars and still pay $180/mo each on them (Yes, I pay that, no coverage on my own car, and a spotless record).

Td insurance an option down there? I used to get an alumni rate through them that worked out to ~600/yr.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think auto insurance in Canada is as different from the US as you think. Rates here are set by the state Insurance Commission, companies can enter and leave the state based on whether or not they think they can make a profit, Premiums vary by city or town, and, at least in Massachusetts, if you get a moving violation they surcharge each vehicle for seven years after the violation. Painful.

However, I also pay about $180/month for insurance, but that gets me coverage on 5 of my 6 cars. They each run about $450/year. But that is with no collision or theft coverage, as they're all old. The GSW and BMW have full coverage, but the GSW is still pretty cheap. BMW's a bit more. I think my rates are so low because I don't have any violations on record (fight every ticket, that's my motto), and I'm the only driver.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I don't think auto insurance in Canada is as different from the US as you think. Rates here are set by the state Insurance Commission, companies can enter and leave the state based on whether or not they think they can make a profit, Premiums vary by city or town, and, at least in Massachusetts, if you get a moving violation they surcharge each vehicle for seven years after the violation. Painful.

However, I also pay about $180/month for insurance, but that gets me coverage on 5 of my 6 cars. They each run about $450/year. But that is with no collision or theft coverage, as they're all old. The GSW and BMW have full coverage, but the GSW is still pretty cheap. BMW's a bit more. I think my rates are so low because I don't have any violations on record (fight every ticket, that's my motto), and I'm the only driver.
Living on the state line (within one mile or so)..we priced our insurance before buying a house in NH...needless to say the car insurance price difference helped make our choice (no state income or sales tax helped).
A 1 mile difference( NH unregulated, no set rates, ins not even REQUIRED, vs MA, HEAVILY regulated, state sets rates) was 3x the difference in price....one more reason to love NH.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't know when you moved, but I doubt it's a 3x price difference today. MA rates have come down a lot in recent years, except for young people. And if you have any assets not having insurance is a big risk.

I'm pretty confident that what you don't pay in sales tax you pay in other taxes and fees. Property taxes seem higher, and I registered an '06 Jetta in NH back when you couldn't register a new TDI in MA. The registration "fees" (actually property taxes in disguise) were about the same as MA.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
This thread has proven extremely interesting for this sailor.......................

USAA was first class from my commissioning date to 2009.

Enter the 54% two-car policy increase.........Homeowners coverage remains first class.

The lizard is $813.50 full coverage for two 2013/2012 Teutonic wagen/coupe vehicles.

Try as I may I've not found a better deal. guess that's why my USNR affiliation persists.

ez sends

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Geico. I have 3 cars insured with them. 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2015 Beetle tdi, 2003 New Beetle tdi. Full coverage on the 2015's and liability only on the 2003. High limits and umbrella policy as well as mechanical breakdown insurance on the 2015 Beetle. $200 a month after all discounts (multi car, homeowners, good driver, etc). Been with them for decades.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It said I could apply for a quote, and get a $20 SHELL gas card.
I have the quote. (not competitive with my currant ins.)
Wife, or someone, will use it:)
Good news
The card WAS loaded for $20

Better yet, the attendant claimed there was NO BIO in his diesel

I'll be back -- after I check that fact - shot the $20, and had to run

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Some time back USAA raised my two-car insurance policy 54 per cent.
Calling the retired two-star CEO was a waste - - - unlike my personally speaking to the retired one-star P-38 pilot CEO when I was wearing silver bars.
I've been with Geico since.
When I ask USAA for a two-car quote............(they remain noncompetitive). Sad.
YMMV
USAA - to be fair - remains VERY competitive for Homeowner's insurance.
ez (Navy)
Amen, brother. I just ditched USAA auto insurance last year for the first time since becoming a Marine officer in 1996. They just took on too many risky new groups over the years as they kept on opening it up to new groups. First enlisted, then prior military, then seemingly anybody with a loose connection to the military.

I switched to GEICO and cut my auto premium almost exactly in half for same exact coverage.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I'm pretty confident that what you don't pay in sales tax you pay in other taxes and fees. Property taxes seem higher, and I registered an '06 Jetta in NH back when you couldn't register a new TDI in MA. The registration "fees" (actually property taxes in disguise) were about the same as MA.
Yes, I always feel lucky when I read about folks in other states paying big tax bills on their car purchases. Then I remember that part of the reason I don't drive a new car is that first year registration is $18/thousand. That is certainly a tax by another name.

I wish that NH would require car insurance for all drivers. And anyone else who has had to incur costs because of negligence from an uninsured driver would probably agree with me.

And also, our property taxes aren't just higher....they are flat out crazy and going up all the time. My tax rate has increased by nearly 33% in 8 years. But no income tax is nice :).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My tax rate has increased by nearly 33% in 8 years. But no income tax is nice :).
Our taxes are way up too, because home values are up. And although MA has a tax increase limit law, most towns override it. But comparing taxes with folks in NH it seems they're significantly higher up there.

Besides, us Massachusetts natives like to pay taxes. :D

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Our taxes are way up too, because home values are up. And although MA has a tax increase limit law, most towns override it. But comparing taxes with folks in NH it seems they're significantly higher up there.

Besides, us Massachusetts natives like to pay taxes. :D

.... This Okie believes you:p

AaronBrito

TDI
Volkswagen Group 1.2

Like:

Is you car "stock"?
Have you changed the HP?

I do know a friend having his current car insurance with a company with all his requirements fulfilled. I know a few of his auto insurance Gainesville information, since we both went together at the insurance company. His insurance details were something like this: Property Damage $100,000 per accident- $250 deductible, Personal Injury Protection $2,500 per person. He had a minor accident few weeks back and was recovered with all the losses.
:)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Must be nice to not have government run insurance.... Pay per car here, regardless how many you have. Meaning you could have five cars and still pay $180/mo each on them (Yes, I pay that, no coverage on my own car, and a spotless record).

Up until one year ago I could compare the insurance for my then 2002 TDI Jetta with a friend from BC who has a 2003 TDI Jetta. His BC premium was considerably cheaper than my Ontario insurance. Your BC insurance also covers the validation sticker on your license plate, in Ontario it is $ 120.00 extra per year which YOU pay.

Essilaia

TDI
none
I've never had a problem with my insurance company. But to find a good insurance company, I had to spend a lot of money. I was sometimes even deceived. For example, when I was in an accident, the insurance company paid me only 50%, but it owed much more, and then I went to the courts and still drank my drink. And then, I realized that it is best to contact insurance companies that allow you to make insurance for a month or two to check their company. That's what I've been doing for several years. The other day I took out short car insurance, just for a month. We'll see what happens.

https://www.moneyexpert.com/car-insurance/short-term-insurance/

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Omg geico!

I always see their commercials touting how you can save 15% or more with them but when I call them with my perfect driving record and 50 plus age they were more than twice as expensive for insurance!

My girlfriend had them for years and I suggested to her to shop it around I even took the initiative to call State Farm and it turns out State Farm Insurance was cheaper even after including comprehensive excetera!

Perhaps their commercial should read "you can save 15% or more by switching FROM Geico" ;-)
I think that would be more truth in advertising.

It does pay to shop it around prior to me having State Farm Insurance I was with farmers and when I switched all my vehicles from Farmers to State Farm I think I saved about $3,000 a year overall ... I have numerous vehicles.

Andrew