Now what? DMV?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
NO! My experience in California is that they did not file any notice of transfer and I received a delinquent renewal notice today. I went online and filed the transfer using VW of America as the buyer with their corporate address I found online. Hopefully that works. That's my fault for expecting VW to do any work they aren't legally required to do that has financial consequences.

zdman

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
My daughter just received a notice from the state of Texas that she had let her insurance lapse. She called VW and they said they were not doing ownership transfers because there were just too many to deal with. She (and I when I turned in my VW) did not do the state form figuring VW would do what they were supposed to do and transfer the title. If I recall, I think we even signed a power of attorney so they could do this. I need to find out the laws in TX as I seem to recall that a buyer had to do a transfer within a set time limit.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
My daughter just received a notice from the state of Texas that she had let her insurance lapse. She called VW and they said they were not doing ownership transfers because there were just too many to deal with. She (and I when I turned in my VW) did not do the state form figuring VW would do what they were supposed to do and transfer the title. If I recall, I think we even signed a power of attorney so they could do this. I need to find out the laws in TX as I seem to recall that a buyer had to do a transfer within a set time limit.
Don't know how it works in TX, but in NY the DMV wants you to turn in your plates if they get a notice of insurance lapse. I will most certainly be removing my plates when I do the BB.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In NC you must keep insurance on the car until (even after you no longer own it) until the state takes possession of the license plate(until you turn the plate into a DMV getting a written receipt stating they now have your plate). This even applies to a plate where the registration has expired, you must not drop insurance until you have turned the expired plate in..........

In NC if you fail to do this the state will revoke your drivers license for 30 days, along with revoking your ability to register anything else.....

AS said every state is different when it comes to what you are responsible plate wise & insurance wise for when it comes to the sale/repossession/ect.... of any vehicle with a license plate(s)....
All I did was sign over the title to VW, took the plate off, and went home. I then cancelled insurance the next day. According to the NC DMV website, I no longer own the vehicle and no mention of my having to take any of the above listed steps. My registration was expired as of Jan 31 with the trade in the end of Feb.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Don't know how it works in TX, but in NY the DMV wants you to turn in your plates if they get a notice of insurance lapse. I will most certainly be removing my plates when I do the BB.
Yeah, NY is pretty obsessed with getting those plates back. Way back in the '90s, our youngest son was transferred (he was in the Navy) from NY to WA state. We transferred the plates and registration and drove his Jetta out to Seattle, and I flew home. A couple of months later, I got a notice from the State of New York (his address of record while in the military was ours) that they needed the plates back or <insert threat of your choice here>. I called the number for fun and told the individual that I had cut the plates up with tin snips an thrown them in the metal recycling (which was no more than the truth). All this moron could do was insist that I had to send the plates back, so I told her I thought I still had the pieces, and if they sent me postage-paid packaging, I'd be happy to mail them to her. She just kept up with her robot insistence that I return the plates. I told her that I was in Illinois, and to have a nice day, maybe they should go for extradition. Hung up and never heard another word.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I called the number for fun and told the individual that I had cut the plates up with tin snips an thrown them in the metal recycling (which was no more than the truth). All this moron could do was insist that I had to send the plates back, so I told her I thought I still had the pieces, and if they sent me postage-paid packaging, I'd be happy to mail them to her. She just kept up with her robot insistence that I return the plates.
She was probably not listening to you and was preoccupied with how many months are left until she turns 48 and her $80,000/yr tax free pension begins along with free gold-plated healthcare benefits.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
This page for us in Texas:

https://etag.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/MainTransferNotification.aspx

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
I just got a DMV notice about suspending my registration on the car i turned in 4 months ago. I guess VW never took care of doing the transfer and my car appears to not have been sold yet. They are suspending my registration until i can prove i have insurance. Dang I guess i should have listen to some of the early advice early on. I procrastinated...

**** VW btw!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My parents used to tell me many times long ago:

"Kick the person responsible for your problems and you won't sit down for a week."