oil filter change

aleksalim

TDI
Passat
While I'm changing oil in my Passat B7 TDI I could not install the new oil filter if its inserted into the filter's cup ( some harness does not allow to align it with the filter housing), however I can put the filter first into the housing, and then put the cup on top. Can I do that?
Thanks in advance for the answers

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yes, you can do it either way. You'll hear the filter click in as you tighten the lid.

aleksalim

TDI
Passat
Thank you very much for your answer, I did not really feel the click, but maybe I just didn't noticed it...
Thanks again

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
you can, just move the cloth covered wires to the right then angle the filter in from the drives side

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
From the context of the post (although it does not specify), I would infer that the OP has the CKRA engine. That being the case, the whole filter removal / replacement process is significantly easier if several bolts on top of the engine are removed, so that certain lines can be moved to make the filter housing removal / replacement easier. There are several YT videos showing very clearly how this is done. I used this method before changing my oil the first time, and had no issues. And, yeah, the filter element kind of "snaps" in and out of the housing.