Timing Belt Change Interval, 120K or 130K

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
So I got the 80,000 mile service done the other day (still using the dealer just to make warranty claims less hassle, DPF and High Pressure EGR had to get replaced 6,000 miles after my emissions fix) and they asked if I wanted a coolant flush and fill

I declined, figuring the coolant is “lifetime” but would get changed out when the timing belt service is done

Based on so many comments from here I figured this was at 120K

But I checked the maintenance manual which clearly calls for it at 130K, not 120K

The car is a 2013 wagon, manual. Did they increase the TB change interval 10K in the post 2009 time period?

I have owned the car for 5 years and 8 months and all this time thought the TB change was at 120K

Analogeezer

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
According to the official maintenance schedule, it is indeed due at 130k!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
130k is fine for the timing belt. You are correct that they increased the interval from 120k in the early common rail TDIs

on the coolant, no need unless you see evidence of discoloration or suspended junk in the bottle, then time is of the essence.

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
130k is fine for the timing belt. You are correct that they increased the interval from 120k in the early common rail TDIs

on the coolant, no need unless you see evidence of discoloration or suspended junk in the bottle, then time is of the essence.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah I knew it was an upsell bit which is why I declined it.

Like I said I have stayed with the dealer service (something I have NEVER done with any car) due to the extended emissions warranty

Yeah you don’t legally have to do that but less hassle, as it is my DPF and high pressure EGR were recently replaced under the warranty; I shudder to think what that would have cost on my own nickel

The reason I brought up the 120k vs. 130k interval is 130k is the point at which I would switch to an indy to have that work done

I recently moved and apparently there is a really good indy shop that does a lot of Euro cars and specializes in diesel VW’s only 20 miles away

Analogeezer

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Gentlemen,

I have been reading up on service intervals and I've obviously found when the timing belt is due...but what about a time limit? My 2013 only has 20,000 miles on it now, but it is already 6 years old...

I've been doing between 35-40k miles per year, so I'll probably hit 130k when the car is 9 or 10 years old...or there about.

Of course my annual mileage could always change...with a job change, but I was still curious if there was a recommended time limit.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think I've heard oilhammer mention ten years as a pretty safe timeframe. Personally, I'd be comfortable out to about 15 years on the commonrails in my climate region. It's a pretty easy job though, so I'd probably do mine (hypothetically) around 10 years.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Personally, I'd be comfortable out to about 15 years on the commonrails in my climate region.
If you're still in Maine, I guess I'd be in the same climate more or less. I'm just east of you in NS. I'm not worried about it or anything, but wanted to make a mental note when it should be done in case I hit a time limit before the mileage interval.