VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Yeah, a good template of the information that would be critical for people with successful offers to share, if they are willing, would probably be:

1. 2.0 or 3.0?

2. Was the car a VW lease car?

3. When did you purchase the car? (month/year)

4. When was the car crashed? (month/year)

5. When was the car rebuilt and issued a rebuilt title? (month/year)

6. When was the VW buyback claim initially submitted? (month/year)

7. Was the car/claim ever deemed ineligible by VW?

8. Did VW ask you to provide "proof of operability"?

9. In which state was the rebuilt title issued?

10. In which state is the title currently issued (if different than #9)?

Last edited:

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
Yeah, a good template of the information that would be critical for people with successful offers to share, if they are willing, would probably be:

1. 2.0 or 3.0?

2. Was the car a VW lease car?

3. When did you purchase the car? (month/year)

4. When was the car crashed? (month/year)

5. When was the car rebuilt and issued a rebuilt title? (month/year)

6. When was the VW buyback claim initially submitted? (month/year)

7. Was the car/claim ever deemed ineligible by VW?

8. Did VW ask you to provide "proof of operability"?

9. In which state was the rebuilt title issued?

10. In which state is the title currently issued (if different than #9)?
The 3 offers I have are all 2 litre. All were crashed after 6/16. All were rebuilt in 2017. All are titled in Florida as rebuilt. None were lease. None were ever ineligible. Original title state is varied but none were Florida. VW did not ask for proof. All were submitted middle of 2017.

DizelDvica

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
offer letter is in

2.0 2013 Jetta
salvaged 10/15
purchased 4/16
reg/inspected/prior salvage title 05/16
in limbo since 01/17
offer letter today....vehicle value, no restitution
possible restitution by end of 2018 per letter

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Got offer... it is for value only, no restitution included.

1. 2.0

2. Not a lease

3. Purchased March 2017

4. Crashed Jan 2017

5. salvage title issued April 2017 (rebuilt and issued salvage title in Ca)

6. Claim submitted April 2017

7. Never deemed ineligible

8. Never requested "proof of operability"?

9. Ca state in which salvage title issued

Last edited:

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
I would highly recommend calling the claims support department and speak with someone. You may be surprised to receive a comprehensive update on your claim status.

Don’t bother contacting online chat, unless you like reading generic cut and paste responses.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
I would highly recommend calling the claims support department and speak with someone. You may be surprised to receive a comprehensive update on your claim status.

Don’t bother contacting online chat, unless you like reading generic cut and paste responses.

I have not gotten an intelligent response from the 844 number yet. They just read off the screen. Which is often wrong.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Neither had I until yesterday. Complete detailed response, might be worth trying.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
This is a good trend. Will be interesting to see when some successful 3.0 offers are reported.

vincentld

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Also received offer letter. Value only, no restitution included. Not sure if we will ever get the restitution.

Not a lease
Purchased 9/16 from copart.
Rebuilt NY title around 8/17
Never deemed ineligible
Never requested "proof of operability"?

"Volkswagen will notify you after the end of the class action settlement program (Dec 30, 2018) if you are eligible to receive an additional restitution payment"

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Funny thing, my offer letter pdf that was made available to me yesterday to download from the claims portal is dated April 18, 2 weeks prior to me being able to view it.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Funny thing, my offer letter pdf that was made available to me yesterday to download from the claims portal is dated April 18, 2 weeks prior to me being able to view it.
Fookin - Did you also notice that it states it has 8 pages but only 7 print? In other words all of my letters have page 7 of 8 as the last page. I called VW and they (again) have no clue.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Fookin - Did you also notice that it states it has 8 pages but only 7 print? In other words all of my letters have page 7 of 8 as the last page. I called VW and they (again) have no clue.
Yes, received only 7 of 8. Then after I uploaded everything with notary signature, notary name, county, and state I received a message back from the portal that I'm missing signature, notary name, county, and state. Brilliant.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
If you got an offer you need to go here to find a supplemental form, if applicable. I was not told I would need this in addition to the offer form they sent for me to sign and notarize. In fact I didn't know I needed until after I chatted with the claims people. So, my initial notary fee is void and I now need to get 2 more notary signatures because it has to be the same notary on both forms.

UPDATE: It turns out my notary did provide me an additional sheet titled "acknowledgement" and even though it is not the exact same from that is at the settlement website it is still valid according to claims chat. I re-uploaded the offer with that additional sheet. I was told that should be fine.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/2-0-models/ ...and scroll down to Claims Process Forms and see if your state is on there which would require you to download and notarize that additional form.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
We have a special form in California, which is why you encountered a hiccup but not likely to be applicable to Jeff in Florida.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
This is interesting. Just got my two appointment confirmations for a rebuilt title. 2L. Once I enter in mileage etc I scheduled my appointment. then I got an email confirming this appointment. Here is what is interesting - on the email confirmation it gives the Buyback amount + Restitution. I got it on both cars I am turning in. Mistake? Will I get both in a few weeks? Or will I only get the buyback as per the signed settlement sheet?

One more thing, mileage makes a difference. 1 mile can cost you hundreds of dollars. Sometimes waiting a month can get you hundreds of dollars more. Does anyone have a good way to calculate a way to maximize (obviously waiting until end would be better - but a schedule would be great)?

jhuber

TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat SEL, 2015 Audi Q7
I got this letter in both email and paper format, but I don't really understand why. It says "you have not yet completed a claim". But I have submitted a claim on both of my TDI's. One is settled, and my claim on my 2014 Sportwagon with the rebuilt title is still pending.

I recently bought one of the 2015 repaired Passat TDIs. Are they wanting me to submit a claim at that one?

I called the number on that letter, but couldn't get through to anyone who had an answer as to why I got the letter.

CalGuy

TDI
Q5
Also got letter/email

I also got the letter and email.
I have 2 'branded' cars. 1 appears to be nearing an offer letter. The other was denied and I am about to submit an appeal. They say they paid a previous lessor making job done for that car. I won't bore with details here.
QUESTION - The letter doesn't say what car they are encouraging me to apply for but I have a feeling it's the one denied and it's VIN is now back in the mix. If it's back in the mix - and it does show up as available for compensation if the VIN is entered online - how come it was denied?
I plan to call Monday and see if they will tell me what car the letter/email refers to.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would imagine the letters are sent to the last known registered owners, regardless of their status in any other way. I would almost guess some that don't even own the cars anymore have received letters. It isn't a perfect world out there.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
I got the letter emailed last week, and TWO copies in the mail on friday--and I've only ever owned 1 TDI. Obviously, there is NO connection between the claims group and whomever was contracted to send this letter saying, "make sure you file your claim by Sept 1". My claim has been pending and on file for something like 16 months.

Oh, and I'm sure some of you had this thought, going back to some of the comments about the 37 parking lots and modified TDI's showing up in the auction lots. It's all crystal clear why VW has been slow walking salvage claims: They want to buyback vehicles that can be modified cheaply and re-sold. Damaged/rebuilt/salvage title vehicles are harder (or impossible) to repair and resell. It's all about the bottom line. Every vehicle they can fix and put back in the market reduces the cost of the recall.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
This is interesting. Just got my two appointment confirmations for a rebuilt title. 2L. Once I enter in mileage etc I scheduled my appointment. then I got an email confirming this appointment. Here is what is interesting - on the email confirmation it gives the Buyback amount + Restitution. I got it on both cars I am turning in. Mistake? Will I get both in a few weeks? Or will I only get the buyback as per the signed settlement sheet?
One more thing, mileage makes a difference. 1 mile can cost you hundreds of dollars. Sometimes waiting a month can get you hundreds of dollars more. Does anyone have a good way to calculate a way to maximize (obviously waiting until end would be better - but a schedule would be great)?
I think you are the first person to post here that scheduled appointment so you will be first to find out actual amount.

Use this site for mileage https://agrahamg.github.io/VWBuybackCalculator/

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
When is your appointment? I had a Touareg that all of the paperwork showed 1/2 restitution, when I did the actual return I received full restitution.

If you go back to the settlement there is a way to calculate mileage, you are correct, several hundred dollars can be lost by scheduling a day too early. Been a minute since I did my last return. Good luck!

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Same here. Offer is value only, appt confirmation email shows value+buyback. I'm turning in May 24th. We shall see.