www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 11th, 2015, 03:08   #1
McFarlin109
Veteran Member

Default Should I buy this 2001 Jetta TDI Opinions/Comments Welcome

I found a 2001 Jetta TDI less than 2 hours from me for under 2k and I am considering checking it out and possibly picking it up and test driving it. The only downside is the high mileage so let me know what you think.

2001 4 door VW Jetta Turbo Diesel. 5 speed. new timing belt. new pulleys. new servintine belt. new front break pads. new rear rotors and pads. straight pipe exhaust. EGR delete kit. 40 mpg. Decent tires. It has 357,834 miles (low miles for well maintained deisel engine). Needs front struts and rear shocks only.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by McFarlin109; February 11th, 2015 at 12:38.
McFarlin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:38   #2
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Walk up and offer 1700 cash in hand.
If all that work has been done and car seems clean as in well maintained that's a really good find.
I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage, these cars of that Era have been know to get over 600,000 miles.
One thing to be concerned over is the egr delete and emissions testing if your state has that.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:58   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Low miles for a well maintained gasoline engine, too, that really doesn't mean much. It is still a Volkswagen. It could be a neglected pile of crap or it really could be a well cared for specimen.

I would judge it on condition in an objective manner, regardless of what the odometer says. You can easily find several grand worth of deferred PM and repairs needed on a car that "runs fine".

Things like door latches, parking brake cables, control arm bushings, cooling fans, axle beam bushings, HVAC case foam, etc. can all be neglected items that can cost a fair deal to remedy.

If you are looking for a fixer upper, it may be a great deal.
Old February 11th, 2015, 13:36   #4
McFarlin109
Veteran Member

One good thing about my state is that there are no emission testing(most people have probably never heard of it). I don't know how many trucks I have seen that some one has cut the exhaust system as close to the manifold as possible with a sawzall. They think it makes it sound better, but it is pretty damn annoying when you have to ride in the cab. Anyway it is awesome since EGR deleting and catless exhaust systems aren't a problem.
McFarlin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 23:13   #5
peterdaniel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarlin109 View Post
. I don't know how many trucks I have seen that some one has cut the exhaust system as close to the manifold as possible with a sawzall. They think it makes it sound better........

Not surprising coming from the state you are in... lol
peterdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote