www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 13th, 2015, 13:07   #1
LMJ
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 VW Golf
Default Stiff Manual Shifting in Cold Weather

I've noticed that when outside temps go below freezing, first thing in the morning it's extremely difficult to manually shift my golf (and sometimes me) into first and second gears until I cycle through the gears a few times and things warm up. Seems like the shifter just doesn't want to go into gear. I genersally justget in the car and go without allowing the engine to idle for any lengh of time. Is this a sign of something that needs repairing/replacing. Doesn't seem like it should be normal to me.

Upgrades: Rocket Chip Stage II, Full Metal Jacket Skid Plate, Bosal Euro Hitch, aluminum capped shifter and new boot, 2-cup rear center console, replaced seats.
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 13:11   #2
TDI4all
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: increasing with GDE Tune

How many miles on the Golf ? Have you ever changed the transmission fluid ? Maybe the hydraulic clutch fluid is low or the transmission fluid is low. Just a couple of things to check.
TDI4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 13:12   #3
Smalls
Veteran Member

It's the oil thickening from the colder temps. Completely normal. This is pending that you've ruled out anything with the clutch and just in the shifter "feel"

You may be able to change out the fluid for a different brand. I know my 99.5 didn't care much for redline oils when it was cold. The Amsoil worked like a charm however.
Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 13:36   #4
supton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/33

I recall the first time the trans oil was changed it was stiff for a couple of years--until I had it changed again. non-syth was used on the first change, and proper synth after that. Even after 50k and in sub-zero weather it shifts pretty good--I can tell it's cold, but it goes into gear.
supton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:13   #5
Steve-o
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/42/32

Yeah, I've owned manual-shift VWs that spec'd dino and synthetic transmission fluid. The synth ones shift so much easier than the dino transmissions. That's like moving the gear lever in oatmeal for the first several miles....
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:11   #6
UhOh
Veteran Member

At about 120k on my car I changed the fluid: got the car with just under 115k. Shifting was horrible. I don't live in a climate that gets very cold, but, nonetheless, when it was colder it was even worse. Changed to AC Delco Syncromesh with friction modifiers and it's like a totally new/different/better trans. Did the same with the wife's car.

There's no reason to put up with crappy shifting!
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:10   #7
LMJ
Veteran Member

OK. I'll plan to change the tramsmission fluid with synthetic fluid while the belly pan is removed to replace the dog gone mount.
Before I started it this morning, I shifted between 1st and 2nd several times and it seemed to start easier than normal when temps are below freezing like they were last night and shifting wasn't as difficult.

Why isn't shifting between 2-3 or higher an issue if it's the cold oil causing the stiff shifting.

Upgrades: Rocket Chip Stage II, Full Metal Jacket Skid Plate, Bosal Euro Hitch, aluminum capped shifter and new boot, 2-cup rear center console, replaced seats.
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:15   #8
UhOh
Veteran Member

Why? Gates and stuff... There's plenty of info out there that explains how transmissions work.

Change the fluid with quality synchromesh and be happy

Last edited by UhOh; February 14th, 2015 at 11:16. Reason: fix typo- darn tablet!
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:35   #9
LMJ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Why? Gates and stuff... There's plenty of info out there that explains how transmissions work.

Change the fluid with quality synchromesh and be happy
Just wondering I guess. Don't care to be an expert on transmissions. Thought I'd ask someone who knows. Ask me about photography and cameras if you're interested.