new member - need advise about what to look for in a used 2001 NB TDI

paul monks

TDI
2001 Beetle
I am going to look at a 2001 NB TDI 5 speed with 87K. My son says it looks good and he thinks his neighbor has taken good care of it. It was the wife's daily driver until her parents gave them matching MBs. I am anxious to make it my project car but have never worked on a diesel before and need all of your wisdom. thanks for your help

hvacr9e

Veteran Member
TDI
03 nb,06 jetta,82 vw truck,84 vw rabbit wvo
ok lets say the car is worth 6000 with those miles realistically.If you are inclined mechanically to work on it,or not.timing belt either was just changed or needs changed now,make sure they have documentation if has been done.if not expect about 350.00 to do job yourself or roughly 700 to hire out( look on site for trusted tdi mechanics.The intake probably needs cleaning too, free if you do it yourself or roughly 325.00 to hire out.Remember these items will have to be done and you will have to consider the cost on top of purchase price.A nb with ahu engine and only 80,000 miles is truly rare if the price is right id jump on it.By the waty whats your neighbors phone number i am interested!!!!!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
paul monks said:
I am going to look at a 2001 NB TDI 5 speed with 87K. My son says it looks good and he thinks his neighbor has taken good care of it. It was the wife's daily driver until her parents gave them matching MBs. I am anxious to make it my project car but have never worked on a diesel before and need all of your wisdom. thanks for your help
Paul, has the rubber cam belt been changed yet?

Welcome aboard!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
HoneyBeetle said:
What's a cam belt and can I visually check for wear on my 2001 NB?????
Usually referred to as the timing belt (TB), it drives the cam and injection pump (VE engines) and water pump.

There is a cover over the top that you can remove and visually check the belt. Look for frayed sides, marks, any frays or missing teeth on the underside (inside of the belt as it is a loop).

Your best bet is to attend a GTG (get together) at Ho5G (house of 5 garages) in southern NH coming up pretty soon. Alternatively, find someone like MrChill and pay him to look over your car and teach you what you need to know.

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Timing belt visual inspection is not reliable. You have GOT to check the maintainance history. If a timing belt goes on a TDI, you have a MAJOR problem/ engine rebuild.

Print off the list greengeeker linked you to, follow it.

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
Tom W. said:
Timing belt visual inspection is not reliable. You have GOT to check the maintainance history. If a timing belt goes on a TDI, you have a MAJOR problem/ engine rebuild.
Or just do what I did when I bought my NB: ignore all that and ASSUME it needs to be changed immediately! :cool:

HoneyBeetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NB TDI
I have a 01 NB TDI and didn't know I needed to change my battery after 36 months on an 85 month interstate battery, but I did! Then, there are those who believe an OEM battery is best. Anyway, if the car is an 01, maybe your battery may need replacing....maybe not?

Also, there may or may not be a belly pan or skid plate underneath the car. My tire guys were tired of messing with it and thought they were doing me a favor by throwing it away for me (gee thanks). I'm wondering if that's the reason why my engine looks kind of sandy.