Ideas for the next Fest

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
Stealth TDI said:
I can't go with "how many numbers are showing" on the odometer. Mine reset to zero at 300,000 miles. I'm >< close to finally getting the "1" in the 10,000 column filled (I have 309,770 miles). But a high mileage contest is cool. I doubt I'd ever win it, though. There are a lot of TDIs driven more than mine! :)
False... You loose the "Total" when you pass the 299 999 point the first time

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I think you guys should try to stick to more central locations. DC isn't exactly convenient for most of us. It might also be nice to have it someplace where there are other things to do which make a long trip more worthwhile.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I've thought about the TDI Fest somewhere in the mid-west or even west coast but I'm not sure it would work out as well. We're missing the concentration of bigger cities like the east coast. I don't think we could get the turnout. I guess we'll just have to live with our annual west coast GTG's.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
And a central location would be what, exactly? Center of the country where its far from the large density of TDIs? Or center of the TDI population where it's far for a few but close to many?

It hops around. The best thing that the west coast can do to get a Fest closer to them is to offer up the time to plan it, and come up with a proposal. I would personally like to see a Colorado Fest at some point in the future. New Orleans or Savannah, Georgia would be neat, too... just to have an excuse to see more areas of the country that I haven't been to yet. :)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Also, while DC wasn't convenient for quite a few of you, it was the Fest with the highest attendance.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I agree, there's nothing in the midwest. I'm not too happy about the idea of meeting up in a corn field. Maybe you're right about just letting it jump around, but at least the last couple of years it has been in some odd places. I suppose DC is somewhat central to the east coast. Just remember that there's a bunch of us out here on the left coast too. ;)

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Would love to attend a fest out West, but the only way that will ever happen is for a group of people out west to get together, form a group, submit a proposal to Fred and if selected work for almost a year to make it happen.:) Get going you only have about a month or two to get that proposal together.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
vwmikel said:
Maybe you're right about just letting it jump around, but at least the last couple of years it has been in some odd places.
Because those have been where the "odd" people are. Odd in that they put up a proposal. Even more "odd" in that the proposal was usually the ONLY proposal that year. When there is but one group willing to commit to putting on the event the selection is somewhat limited to take-it-or-leave-it.

If any Fred's members want the next fest in their region, start now to put together a proposal for how you'd do your version.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
vwmikel said:
I agree, there's nothing in the midwest. I'm not too happy about the idea of meeting up in a corn field. ... ;)
Why do so many people NOT from the 'midwest' insist all there is here is farmland???? You know where the BIGGEST cattle farm in the USA is? Hawaii! :rolleyes:

That said, I DO live across the road from a corn field. :cool: But I live quite a ways from the city areas, where there are no farms of any kind anywhere. There was little to 'see' around this year's fest either, unless you consider acres of unoccupied condos and faceless office buildings something to see. Every major city center has something touristy to do, if that is what you are after. For me, it is all about the cars, which can be enjoyed anywhere the weather is cooperative.

I do not feel the TDI fest need be tied to something other than the cars...if you want to see other things, there are other weekends to do so.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Location selection is a bit of an art. You have to pick a location that suits your needs, without too much hustle from a major downtown area. At the same time, you need to have local attractions for the wives and kids to visit, in addition to the club members who want to explore a place that they may not have had the chance to visit before.

TDIFest is not "all about the cars." It's about meeting new people, seeing new places, doing things that you might not have done otherwise, and (most importantly), learning about the cars and having TDI-related activities. With that being said, it seems that the suburbs of a major city seems to work the best for our needs as a club. These areas offer hotels with large meeting spaces (a requirement), parking facilities, and lots of attractions in the vicinity. At the same time, you can enjoy a more relaxed environment than you would if you were actually in the major city (traffic, people, the grind of daily life, etc).

With all of that being said, there was plenty of stuff to see around this year's Fest if you drove more than a mile down the road. The area offered some of the best museums in the country, national monuments, historic sites, great drives, shopping, and plenty of other things that quite a few people opted to take advantage of (either during parts of the weekend, or by arriving early and/or staying late). All-in-all, there was a well-rounded assortment of activities to do, both Fest and non-Fest related... which I personally think help attribute to our overall attendance.

My $0.02 regarding location selection. It's a fine balance between the focus on TDIs and keeping everyone (including families) entertained.

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
VeeDubTDI said:
And a central location would be what, exactly? Center of the country where its far from the large density of TDIs? Or center of the TDI population where it's far for a few but close to many?

It hops around. The best thing that the west coast can do to get a Fest closer to them is to offer up the time to plan it, and come up with a proposal. I would personally like to see a Colorado Fest at some point in the future. New Orleans or Savannah, Georgia would be neat, too... just to have an excuse to see more areas of the country that I haven't been to yet. :)
I would love a Denver Fest. All the mountains would make some great drives to it for sure. I'd also like a San Fran area fest. Plenty of stuff to see and do there.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'm kicking around some ideas right now. The long and the short of it is that I had a great time planning 2009, and I'm considering a proposal for 2010 (not in DC), and also looking toward the future. Chad (airwolf) and I are talking about a lot of things right now... we'll let you all know what's up (from our end of things) when we make some decisions and run them by Fred. :)

Lug_Nut

TDI
How about Westmoreland, Pa as a fest site?
Or that show-case factory where the Phaetons were built?
Or the factory where the ignition coil packs were manufactured?
Or the BHW balance shaft machine shop?
Or the relay 109 solder assembly line?
Or the B4 ignition switch test station?

These were underutilized in their hey-day and are probably abandoned now. If you wish to reminisce about the good old days, while surrounded by VW fail, any of those venues should do.

oilhammer

TDI
Lug_Nut said:
How about Westmoreland, Pa as a fest site?
Or that show-case factory where the Phaetons were built?
Or the factory where the ignition coil packs were manufactured?
Or the BHW balance shaft machine shop?
Or the relay 109 solder assembly line?
Or the B4 ignition switch test station?

These were underutilized in their hey-day and are probably abandoned now. If you wish to reminisce about the good old days, while surrounded by VW fail, any of those venues should do.
LOL... you forgot the 'Waterboxer cooling system long term leak testing facility' that has now been taken over by the 'Cheap Chinese replacement axle consortium' :D

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I just love it.......it never fails every year after the fest is over the armchair quarter backs come out of the Closet........... and start delivering LIP Service about what and where the Fest should be next.........and most or the time thats what it ends up being pure Lip Service..........
If you want it step up to the plate and propose it and plan it!!

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Twice in two years this WOULD BE GREAT. My hats off the the organizers you guy put together a great fest. I was honored to help.

Quote from VeeDubTDI

Next Year?
Contrary to what the past would dictate, I'm ready to go again. Stay tuned... ;)

Also, thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas. I like getting feedback on what worked, what didn't, and what can be improved on. :)[/quote]

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
tomo366 said:
I just love it.......it never fails every year after the fest is over the armchair quarter backs come out of the Closet........... and start delivering LIP Service about what and where the Fest should be next.........and most or the time thats what it ends up being pure Lip Service..........
If you want it step up to the plate and propose it and plan it!!
whooooa....boy. down, tomo, down! annngry tomo. :p

What i've found is that the lip service is due to lack of knowledge, organization, and gumption. they just need someone with a little gumption to get organized and find the knowledge to make it happen....;) and some people would like to see it, but are afraid to be responsible for it. it's really not as intimidating as it seems, especially considering how far the planning process has come on an organizational level itself. things are getting a lot easier to do now that we're not recreating the wheel every year. :) it'll happen. It's just taken 10 years to build a foundation. :)

besides if people didn't give lip service every year then others might not have the ideas to make it happen where people want it. demand and supply (in that order).

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
I wish we had more 'enthusiast' type people in my area, but we really don't. Not like the northeast folks do. Most of the TDI drivers around here just own/drive/maintain them, and have no real hobby-type love for them it seems. Not that they don't love them, they just are not the type to rub on them with a diaper and fuss over trivial things like oil brands or chiptuners. :cool:

Lug_Nut

TDI
HEY! I'm pretty sure there are some VW owners here in the northeast US that have lives that don't revolve around VW.
I just don't know any....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
vw4life said:
Lots of TDI's but enthusiasts are fewer...and west coasters are lethargic and non-committal. I know, I am one.
And that's exactly the problem that we've had year after year, which is why there hasn't been a West Coast Fest since 2001.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Lug_Nut said:
HEY! I'm pretty sure there are some VW owners here in the northeast US that have lives that don't revolve around VW.
I just don't know any....
LOL...I see them on the highway...and now I work with one...but other than that, I don't know any either.

And Oilhammer, we'd love to have you...:D

Last edited:

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
tomo366 said:
I just love it.......it never fails every year after the fest is over the armchair quarter backs come out of the Closet...........
Tomo is right though... we do hear this ...every...single...year. I just hope it's not the same people posting it every single year.:mad:

I like to think it comes from enthusiastic newbies that want to express their enthusiasm for the Fest. Since enthusiasm is what keeps the Fest going, I've learned not to respond to those empty suggestions and instead now I sit back and see where they go... it's less frustrating that way.

In any case, I'm always here if ANYONE has ANY questions at all about seriously planning/running a Fest. If I don't have the answer, you can bet I know someone who does.

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
But going back to the original intent of this thread, I would like to see what people would like added to (or dropped from) the Fest content. The format has essentially been the same now for many years. New ideas keep the Fest fresh!

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'd like to add another event for Saturday/Sunday... something along the lines of a dyno! :D

Otherwise, I think the format that we used this year is pretty good... vary a few things depending on the location, but stick with the basic outline of events and times.

One other change, the banquet needs to be moved to 6pm or the raffle needs to be shortened. ;) That was hectic.