Looking for ChubsAuto contact info

starrd

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Hi,

Does anyone have Derek's e-mail address they can PM me? I have tried to send PM and an e-mail to an address from back in 2010 when I helped him with his mileage calculation so he could set all your clusters that he fixed to the correct mileage for you. Now I have a few questions for him about programming my B4 cluster but I can't get in contact with him. Any help is appreciated.

Looks like his last post was in 2012 here. Anyone had recent contact with him?

Thanks

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, I just got two B4 clusters back from him last week. He turned them around in less than a week and as usual his work is impeccable.

This is all public information, so I don't mind posting it here.

Derek White
Chubs Auto
600 South Cheyenne St, Apt 4
Taylorville, IL 62568
(217) 824-3954
chubsautorepair@gmail.com

He was trying to move everything over from his old Hotmail account, so if you have that it may be why he's not responding.

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
You should just call him, I don't think he checks the messages and email that often. He has always called me back in a timely manner if he doesn't actually answer the phone himself. I second that his work is impeccable and he stands behind it.

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Derek is simply the best for our B4 clusters. Just call, he is not easy to track down at times, but oh so worth it!

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 TDI stock, have owned and repaired 4 B4 TDI's since 1996
Thanks Abucus, I have read all I could find on Chubsauto, and I'm quite impressed. I was dreading the task of detailing my cluster on my 95 GLX conversion. I have a 96 VR6 MFA 5-sp cluster and I have spare parts from a 96 TDI cluster.
What is recommended? I'll try for the anti-fry update, remove and or replace the unleaded fuel only warning, calibrate the tach, speedometer recalibrate, and glow plug & CEL Leds and perhaps, the new MFA display, if that has been perfected and withstood the test of time?
Anyone using the expanded MFA display?
Anything else I should have done?
Thanks Artie

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Are you doing this yourself or is it something you'll have him do?

The last MFA he converted for me to TDI also included resetting the odometer so it reflected the correct mileage and it was only $50. This was resetting the tach and the odometer mileage, removing the unleaded wording, adding the CEL, and changing the CEL/glow plug stickers as well. I'm not sure if that's still the price but for the work he does it was pretty cheap to me.

So do you have a '96 or a '95 MFA cluster, they are different. The '95 has the two screws on the face and starts at 10mph whereas the '96 starts at 0 and has no screws visible.

What do you mean by 'expanded MFA display'?

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
Chubsauto was working on a project that included installing a different MFA display that was able to display boost, EGT, oil pressure and other functions through the MFA stalk? These threads were from late last year, in the vendors section.
I using a 95 cluster now, but I have a 96 VR6 MFA 5-sp working cluster ready for his handiwork.
I really don't want a bunch of gauges every where to monitor TDI'S vitals. I have a Glow shift gauge 3 in 1 in my Samurai and I won't like one in my wagon.

artie b

Veteran Member
TDI
I have an email out to Derek, yesterday. I'll give him a couple of days. I'm not in a hurry. I asked what mods are available for our clusters, specifically the expanded MFA display. I'll report back. If i call him, when is a good time? Thanks Artie

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I called a few times during the evening and day and had no problems reaching him anytime.

I had not seen anything about the MFA able to be expanded, that would be nice.