All new 2015 Passat (Euro)

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I had a '03 Jetta TDI with failing automatic transmission in 09. I did not know that the chrome-tongue Jetta sportwagen was about to get replaced with the Golf Variant from Puebla, and I was drooling over reports of the boxer diesel, and absolutely ready to buy one

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0801_subaru_boxer_turbodiesel_first_drive/

...it was getting put into the Legacy Sedan as well (really nice looking diesel). Imagine the handling with that low center of gravity, paired with early TD torque and AWD. Awesome.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/2008-subaru-legacy-outback-20d

But no way. You can buy it all over Europe, but not in NA. What a let down.

The Golf Variant JSW showed up in mid Winter, and I said goodbye to dreams of owning n AWD Boxer TD.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I'm in Chattanooga for Business this week, and stopped to test drive a 2015 Golf TDI. While at the dealership, a conversation occurred that entailed the following info:

Low level plant employees from the Chattanooga Plant have been discussing prep to run a variant model of the NMS. I stopped the conversation to clarify they did not mean the new CrossBlue SUV... Nope a wagon version of the NMS was what they really meant.

Would VW build a NMS variant at Chattanooga and not sell it in the USA market??? Even if there was no 4motion available, I'd really seriously consider a NMS wagon.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Subaru still sells wagons.
Guess where I went a couple of years ago, as the Jetta is too small...Outback.

Now if the Passat does finally come in Wagon version here in the USA....:cool:

Well that could change everything.

Karmann_20v

TDI
02 ALH Jetta
I'm in Chattanooga for Business this week, and stopped to test drive a 2015 Golf TDI. While at the dealership, a conversation occurred that entailed the following info:

Low level plant employees from the Chattanooga Plant have been discussing prep to run a variant model of the NMS. I stopped the conversation to clarify they did not mean the new CrossBlue SUV... Nope a wagon version of the NMS was what they really meant.

Would VW build a NMS variant at Chattanooga and not sell it in the USA market??? Even if there was no 4motion available, I'd really seriously consider a NMS wagon.
This makes sense only with the next gen NMS/ MQB version. I was actually wondering when does the NA Jetta get a refresh? Pretty soon I'd guess.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.

Seeing that there have been no spy shots of a nms Wagon...

I doubt that vw would build two different platforms at the TN plant.

Besides they would have to design a US version of the Wagon as the one revealed was the euro version. That would be a waste of money for a market that doesn't buy Wagons.

We should resign ourselves to the fact that there will be no passat Wagon until we make the switch to the new platform. And seeing how the passat hasn't even been refreshed yet on the old platform...

Just business as usual for vw in the US.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk HD

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
A Passat wagon TDI would not make business sense for VW. Why one would buy a JSW TDI if you could buy a Passat Wagon TDI? Why would you buy a Tiguan if you can buy a Passat Wagon with more passenger and cargo room + more efficient.
But the biggest nail in the coffin is that the average US buyer could care less for a wagon being a JSW or a Passat. The key word is S U V, or maybe a pickup truck. Now we are talking American taste ;)
Seeing that there have been no spy shots of a nms Wagon...
I doubt that vw would build two different platforms at the TN plant.
Besides they would have to design a US version of the Wagon as the one revealed was the euro version. That would be a waste of money for a market that doesn't buy Wagons.
We should resign ourselves to the fact that there will be no passat Wagon until we make the switch to the new platform. And seeing how the passat hasn't even been refreshed yet on the old platform...
Just business as usual for vw in the US.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
Not really, in fact most sheople wouldn't notice if you didn't point it out. Here is a teaser from VWVortex

Jason
Still don't see much of a difference. Revised front and back? Will need a spotters guide to tell the difference.

At least the passat redesign is supposed to be more radical according to vw. It needs it more than the jetta.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The the grill blends into the headlamps differently and is larger vertically. The lower grill tappers to the end around the fog lamps differently. The lower grill now has the common bar all the way across the bottom (see GTI). There is going to be wider availability of HID. Radar behind the logo for traffic brake assist on some models. The tail lamps on the trunk lid look more Audi A4 and reshapped overall. Trunk now has a molded in lip spoiler (think MkIV).

US versions appearantly are not getting MIB infotainment yet, where as other markets may (as they were showing a Jetta with it a few months ago). Other tech updates like rear cross path detection and blind spot monitoring will be available.

Jason

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, so no NA Jetta based on the NMC concept for a while...
http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-lamando.html
Well - per the article - China will get the NMC. Looks to be on the new platform?
So - europe gets the new platform, and a better design.
China gets the new platform and new design.
The US gets...TALK of the new redesign. No new platform. Nothing even shown yet. wow. just wow.
Who would have thought the US would get worse selections than CHINA?

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-lamando.html
Well - per the article - China will get the NMC. Looks to be on the new platform?
So - europe gets the new platform, and a better design.
China gets the new platform and new design.
The US gets...TALK of the new redesign. No new platform. Nothing even shown yet. wow. just wow.
Who would have thought the US would get worse selections than CHINA?
Thats normal for VW USA. VW US once again chokes when it has the chance to step forward.

Waiting to see how similar the NA versions will be to the next generation Seat/skoda vehicles.

lance2214

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
This is the Video of the launch

http://vimeo.com/104803635
Lamando possible next MKVII ?? I sure hope so. If you freeze the frame when it briefly displays the dash, it has the same LCD design as the Euro passat.

I tried to embed but it didn't work.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Euro Passat Twin Turbo Tdi tested.

The Euro passat with twin turbo 2.0 diesel has 149mph top speed and 30mpg ability if this first drive report is anything to go by. Not at the same time obviously!
This engine’s only offered in upper-level ‘GT’ and ‘R-Design’ trim levels, positioning it head-to-head on price with cars from the richer end of the BMW 3-series and Audi A4 line-up. In lots of ways, it’s more than worthy of the comparison; on fuel-efficiency and cabin isolation, particularly so.

Though you expect a diesel with this kind of specific output to be fairly vociferous, the Passat’s pleasingly quiet throughout most of the rev range. But the character of the powerplant, which uses parallel low- and high-pressure turbos, isn’t much different from that of a normal four-pot turbodiesel.

Pedal response is clean, the torque comes on thick and strong through the lower-middle of the rev range and, though the crankshaft spins willingly up to 4000rpm and beyond for overtaking, it delivers little by way of a sporting climax. The car’s fast enough when roused – but seldom do you feel sufficiently excited to gee it up.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...passat-20-bitdi-gt-4motion-first-drive-review

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
A Passat wagon TDI would not make business sense for VW. Why one would buy a JSW TDI if you could buy a Passat Wagon TDI? Why would you buy a Tiguan if you can buy a Passat Wagon with more passenger and cargo room + more efficient.
But the biggest nail in the coffin is that the average US buyer could care less for a wagon being a JSW or a Passat. The key word is S U V, or maybe a pickup truck. Now we are talking American taste ;)
Why sell the smaller Jetta when you can sell a family sized Wagon called Passat? Don't we like big in the USA?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well, I'll buy a Tiguan again when it has a diesel, regardless of the higher practicality of a wagon. I am very happy with my Passat, but I do miss the higher seating position of the Tig. As I age (60 this month) it's more comfortable to slide into the seat, as opposed to dropping down into it. :D

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Waiting so badly for this 240HP biturbo to hit the Autobahn. It's funny because many passat drivers max out at about 170HP TDI and they drive really aggressive and maxed out on speed on the Autobahn to make up for the lack of power. VW are aiming this car to take the fight to BMW/MB station wagons etc. These cars are mainly driven as company cars on the autobahn at the beginning. They will be pushing base A6 V6 TDI like power with lighter weight. Unforutnately base passat biturbo starts at €45K which is close to A6 like price.

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
American car buyers seem enamored with crossovers and SUV's....car makers keep cranking them out and they keep buying them...so there's no market then?

A crossover is nothing more than a repackaged station wagon, raised a few inches, numerous cup-holders and DVD players.
This is the kind of crap vehicle that sells....

It makes sense to have something in the lines of an Estate Wagon, Sport Wagon w/a Diesel engine and possibly say an AWD version

A friend of mine was looking for a new wagon-type vehicle recently, currently they have a Prius wagon, they were asking about my TDI, I told them about the sport wagon TDI (same price as the Prius wagon) they were also considering a Subaru Forester/wagon.

These are the choices? Volvo sells a wagon here in the US and they are expensive....the XC-60 is 44K.

I find it frustrating Europe gets all the nice stuff while the USA is continually
left with a non-TDI Tiguan.

I can't afford a BMW or Mercedes Estate Wagon...even if they imported them to this country.

I guess we DONT get a choice of a decent wagon...and we get VW's 'Turkey' CEO's......pathetic!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Why sell the smaller Jetta when you can sell a family sized Wagon called Passat? Don't we like big in the USA?
Good question. I would think that it would be a matter of profit margin and what the average American buyer will pay.
I think the Tiguan diesel would be nice but a little bit small for the average American buyer expectations. With only 24 cubic feet of cargo it does not cut it in my view. I think something like the Toyota RAV4 diesel (FWD or AWD) would be great (link). You might be able to average somewhere between 35 to 40 MPG and get around 38 cubic feet of cargo (plus the needed torque to haul stuff).

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
This may well be the last big thing with diesels. Production diesel car with 240HP from 2 litres. China has mandated almost all cars to be electric by 2020. VAG will have to wake up soon. In most of europe car sales are going down, especially amongst younger people too. Most of VAG sales are in china and overseas. Anybody driven a Tesla? Germany is way behind in electrics. Probably wont have worry too much soon about not getting european diesels. Transition straight to electrics like China.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
China has mandated almost all cars to be electric by 2020.
I did some searching on this, only found that China is mandating that 30% of state run vehicles be electric by 2016, and they want 5 million electrics on the road by 2020. That's not almost all cars, not by any means. Maybe I'm missing something.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
I did some searching on this, only found that China is mandating that 30% of state run vehicles be electric by 2016, and they want 5 million electrics on the road by 2020. That's not almost all cars, not by any means. Maybe I'm missing something.
Hi Peter, The thrust is pretty big there. There was a documentary yesterday in Germany which is stirring alot of discussion. Right now in the big cities you have to win a 1 in 10 lottery to be able to get a new car registration in China. The polution is so bad. They said walking around Peking, Shanghai is like smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. So far MB is working with Chinese Build Your Dreams (BYD) and have the Denza. Pretty nice EV. But MB is secondary!! BMW have the i3. But that's it. Head in the sand. China have already got most of the 2 stroke scooters converted to electric. Attached is a plot of a graph they showed but indicated same trend for all major cities. It shows for the City of Peking reducing new registrations to a very small amount by 2020. As you know in the chinese setup, there are not many people outside cities able to afford cars. When the documentary is on youtube I will send you the link. It is in german but you could get the drift. I started riding my e-bike 12kms each way to work. Man, it is almost as fun driving a high power tdi. The 250W motor has tremendous torque to get upto 25kmh cruisin. What are companies like Mahle going to do?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Maybe they'll make batteries. My partner at IDParts lived in Beijing for a couple of years and he said the pollution is stunning. Funny, how China is so worried about cars and my understanding is that a lot of the air pollution is from industrial sources, including power plants burning the coal Americans aren't allowed to use to generate electricity. Doesn't seem they'll get much of a result if they go to electric cars and the power comes from unregulated coal-fired plants.

Seriously, I think the predictions of the death of the internal combustion engine have been dramatically overstated. Not sure how much fun your e-bike will be in January.