Flashing oil light

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
So I just got a call from my wife... less than a mile from leaving home the oil light on our 2013 Passat started flashing, and she pulled over and stopped. She checked the oil, and it was below the dipstick. There were no issues on a 300+ mile drive yesterday and last oil change was 8k miles ago. Any thoughts as to what I'm looking at for issues? Since it's got the emissions mod I'm tempted to just have it towed to the dealer, but I may have a look at it first.
Edit to add: 177k miles on the car.

Thanks!

Racin4ds

TDI
2014 Passat SE
No oil on the stick and light flashing is not good, its either leaked it all out or its burning it somewhere. No way to even speculate until you see the car. Could have been as simple as a drain plug fell out.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
What I found was oil 2.5 quarts low, no 9bvious leaks and no stored codes (which was a surprise.)

I'm going to keep a real close eye on the level and go from there.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I’ve been having oil consumption issues fir the past 2yrs, since 60k miles. At 140k miles now and have to add 1-2qts between oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racin4ds

TDI
2014 Passat SE
What I found was oil 2.5 quarts low, no 9bvious leaks and no stored codes (which was a surprise.)
I'm going to keep a real close eye on the level and go from there.
That is definitely NOT good considering the total capacity is just over 4 quarts...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
thought the CRKA was 4.5L capacity? or is it 4.5qrts?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
At 140k miles now and have to add 1-2qts between oil changes.
Disappointing, but good to know. So far it's been less than a quart between changes, perhaps mine has started burning oil. I'm defiantly going to keep a closer eye on it.

Thank you all for the quick feedback!