Trying out a compound setup 17/22-hy35

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
All the power of a bigger turbo without the big turbo lag.

Been think about it for a long time, but I think it should work half decent. I currently have a 17/22 which is pretty much at its limit with egts getting close to 1500-1600 while at wot in 4th. A hy35 feel into my hands so I'm going to put it to good use.

My plan is to leave the 17/22 as it is but with a external wastegate on the egr port set to ~15psi and dump it into the down pipe. I will cut the down pipe from the 17/22 and cut bend and weld a new pipe to the battery box area on top of the trans. The battery has to be moved to the trunk which will give me some space to mount the hy35. Weld a bung on the oil pan for the turbo drain, route some ic pipe from the hy35 to the 17/22 which is pretty much already there, and all the little things in between.

I'm not sure what kind of boost will be possible and efficient with this setup. The wastegate on the hy35 is seized solid so another external gate will have to be used if necessary, I'm not sure how much psi it will hit with it closed. In theory it should drive as nice as it does now around town but with more grunt up top.

I already got most of the parts and this is a budget build, all said and done I'm in around $500
Looking for any thoughts, suggestions, experiences

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
Hy35, what turbine housing #? Dont use #6 housing...

HP compressor wheel is maybe too large.

I think that something like GT2552V + HX40 is good pair for compounding.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You will need an external wastegate to bypass some of the pressure around the 17/22 to feed the HY35 or the 17/22 will creep away.

It should be paired somewhat decent, but Yucca is right, the 17/22 might be a hair big but I think it'll do fine.

GT2552V+HX40 might be a little large for most peoples goals. Only Fins can handle that kind of flow ;)

mrtoler22

TDI
2010 cr jetta
Been thinking about this pair also. My ? Is do you plan on running exhaust out of stock location?? I could see there being some clearance issues going back around the motor. Most simple is a hood stack out of the 35 but that isn't very practical for everyday driving. What injectors do you plan on running with this setup?

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
After relocating the brake fluid tank there is plenty of room for a downpipe.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
A HX40 Super flows 66lbs/min, anybody aiming for 500-550bhp TDI?!?

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Hy35, what turbine housing #? Dont use #6 housing...

HP compressor wheel is maybe too large.

I think that something like GT2552V + HX40 is good pair for compounding.
Why not the #6 if properly wastegated?

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
You will need an external wastegate to bypass some of the pressure around the 17/22 to feed the HY35 or the 17/22 will creep away.

It should be paired somewhat decent, but Yucca is right, the 17/22 might be a hair big but I think it'll do fine.

GT2552V+HX40 might be a little large for most peoples goals. Only Fins can handle that kind of flow ;)
I'll have a wastegate on the 17/22 to bypass to the hy35.... Just don't know yet if the hy35 will need one too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

vwdiesel101

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH 5 SPEED
if i were you the next step would be NOS instead of more boost, im guessing your hoping to boost in the mid to upper 30's and i think your going to blow the motor to pieces which i doubt you want to do unless its a race car. a 1.9L motor can only make so much power before it lets go, especially on regular diesel fuel...

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
if i were you the next step would be NOS instead of more boost, im guessing your hoping to boost in the mid to upper 30's and i think your going to blow the motor to pieces which i doubt you want to do unless its a race car. a 1.9L motor can only make so much power before it lets go, especially on regular diesel fuel...
Engine has been rebuilt with forged internals and headstuds n ported head.... I'm thinking 30-40psi not sure ... Nitrous would be nice but not legal on the roads here and don't like having to refill the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If you put a wastegate to bypass the HP from the EGR port and dump it directly into the downpipe, the pressure drop across will be too high as to not be able to hold the wastegate shut, especially during transients and high boost conditions. You need to bypass the HP into the inlet of the LP, not straight to the downpipe, that is to say, lay out your plumbing like page 13 here, not page 12 as you propose. I've tried both and know what works.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
The hy35 found on the 5.9 cummins has a 9cm housing and a 54mm compressor inducer.Its pretty huge for a 17/22.

Somthing like a gtb2260vk would be a better match for the hy35.

Just beacuse there is a turbo kicking around doesn't mean it will be a good match.

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
The hy35 found on the 5.9 cummins has a 9cm housing and a 54mm compressor inducer.Its pretty huge for a 17/22.

Somthing like a gtb2260vk would be a better match for the hy35.

Just beacuse there is a turbo kicking around doesn't mean it will be a good match.
What's will be the cons of using the 17/22 with the hy35?

I understand this isn't going to be a great combo, if I feel a power increase I'll be happy with that. I also want it to be quick spooling in the city as this is daily driven and don't want a cloud of smoke every time I leave a light. Even after I have everything setup I can always swap turbos if I don't like it...

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
A compound setup that is not perfect is worse than a big single IMO so match them well.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
A wastegated turbo with a 45-47mm compressor inducer would to the trick.Possibly T3 60 trim with a .48 A/R turbine housing.

An s247 would work as well but would be better matched with a 2056 as others like fouckhest and NoJokehave done.

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
what about the darkside developments compound golf running a GTB1749V with a hx35?

is that in any similarity to what im trying to do? whats the biggest problem with running this combo?

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Do you like the 17/22? Is it a big difference from stock?
It was so long ago that I put the 17/22 on, I had small injectors and thats pretty much it so it's hard to say. It really depends on wat other mods you have to go with it, extra fuel for the extra boost. But yes I like this turbo, makes decent power and I've beaten the piss out of it going on 100000 miles now and still going strong ( knock on wood)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
A wastegated turbo with a 45-47mm compressor inducer would to the trick.Possibly T3 60 trim with a .48 A/R turbine housing.

An s247 would work as well but would be better matched with a 2056 as others like fouckhest and NoJokehave done.
S247 is so small for twins. If it is enough you can build S247V (vnt) with 47/76 compressor wheel. You can use 3bar boost pressure easily with that single turbo.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
According to the compressor maps I've seen the S247 only flows a measly 38lbs/min... 320 crank hp at most?

Jonamond: The comp wheel in the HY35W with 54mm inducer flows 56.6lbs/min but turbine could be limiting, what turbine exducer do you have? 52mm?

Jonamond

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
According to the compressor maps I've seen the S247 only flows a measly 38lbs/min... 320 crank hp at most?

Jonamond: The comp wheel in the HY35W with 54mm inducer flows 56.6lbs/min but turbine could be limiting, what turbine exducer do you have? 52mm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
That is something found on the www and there is definately mistakes there! Also consider that there are lots of different versions out there so you need to physically measure the one you have.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
in my opinion, there are smaller, lighter, more efficient turbos to use for the LP turbo,
The HP turbo should be no larger than a GTB1749V. I think Alcaid will agree, he's seen the math I've done on this.

22lb/min for HP and 45lb/min for LP is a good combination.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
I agree ;)

Especially in a compound setup there is lighter turbos I would rather choose for LP use. One don't need crazy high PR capable LP turbo as in a single turbo or sequential setup. Higher trim wheels can be used with benificial lower mass of inertia and still high enough mass flow rates.

Last edited:

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
Arto L AKA "Golftd" on TDiclub from Finland was very knowledgeable.I would have to say that I learned the most about "compound turbo's" from him.

He hasn't logged onto this forum since 2009.It wouldn't hurt to look at his old posts !

Arto And I pm'ed each other about sizing turbo's in 2007.Perhaps he had to dumb it down a bit for me but here is some of his reply below :)

"I have noticed in my own research, that proven aftermarket Cummins 'compound turbo' systems seem to have about 1.15 to 1.3 multiplier factor, as comparing smaller turbo compressor inducer to larger turbo compressor inducer."

Arto

This statement he admits was crude but does prove to be a very good reference for sizing compound turbo's.Over the years I have closely kept an eye on compound turbo setup's used in OEM and aftermarket and this is still 100% true !

Last edited: