www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:56   #1
AUGSX
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mostly city/ 43 best
Default Where to mount Scan Guage II

I want to mount my scan guage and make it very vissable to me. I have tried a few places but nothing I'm 100% happy with, where are you guys mounting them?

2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd

Build thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307477
AUGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:26   #2
HeAvYfUeL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly signature --->

Get some velcro at the hardware store and mount it on the steering column. Works great for me.
HeAvYfUeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:25   #3
Bradtholomew
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.9 L/100km

Got mine on the steering column with the supplied velcro. Not entirely happy with this location, but there's really no good spot that I can find...

Brad
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT - 125,000kms. 3800 Series III supercharged
Bradtholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:49   #4
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

I've got a thin strip right above the radio in my car. If I can get a replacement piece for when I sell it, I'll cut a hole in it and run the wire up that way. The SG is too wide to actually nest in there, but I need to be able to get the wire into it through the back. Too bad, if the opening was about an inch larger it would go inside. If it works, I'll snap a pic. For now, mine is on the steering column, but it's a pain to reach the buttons.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:19   #5
doc_m
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

been happy with it here for me

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

So far just over 10,200 kms on it

doc_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 13:43   #6
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

I've got mine on the ashtray door cover (closed). Easy to see, kind of tough to select buttons-gotten used to it. Connected in the back port and stuff the cord into the joint between dash and counsel making it well hidden. Oh, it's in a 2001 Jetta.
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 23:36   #7
doc_m
Veteran Member

hmm well I tried this tonight as I was driving around getting my oldest to get to sleep, not to sure how much I like it but seems to be ok for the moment

Do work on cars like intake cleanings, nozzle swaps, brakes etc.... Hex usb + can now

2009 Jetta TDI Comfortline with ESP and beige leather interior. Evolution Imports Osiris Skidplate.

Old May 17th, 2007, 06:49   #8
Thunderstruck
Veteran Member

The problem with a mount like that is the warning about the heat from sunlight, othewise I would have done the same thing.
Old May 17th, 2007, 14:34   #9
doc_m
Veteran Member

found it kinda annoying so put it back to the original spot

Old May 18th, 2007, 10:11   #10
AUGSX
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mostly city/ 43 best

Thanks guys I have it sitting ontop of the steering column. Now I just have to play with front to back on the column for better visibility.

2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd

Build thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307477
AUGSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:26   #11
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Thumbs up

Got mine nestled between my pyrometer on the left & boost gauge on the right sitting on top of my steering column . On the B4 Passat the OBD II plug is just above the car key on the column .
Old May 30th, 2007, 14:40   #12
quadboss74
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: best: 48 mpg, worst 38, avg. 40

This is the most visable spot, but works. Dash space is so limited, ya know? Couldn't put mine right above the radio since I have the cupholder there, so I moved my rear defrost button over to the left and velcroed it to the two empty buttons. I left the right most one off for the scan gauge rear connection.
Old June 2nd, 2007, 05:16   #13
Honeydew
Veteran Member

just ordered mine so I haven't tried this yet, but how about on that little mini-visor above the rear-view mirror? Cable might not be long enough to thread, though
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:13   #14
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew
just ordered mine so I haven't tried this yet, but how about on that little mini-visor above the rear-view mirror? Cable might not be long enough to thread, though
That's where mine is - I'll post up some pics later today or tomorrow.

I took the screw out and turned the visor around so it flips down toward the windshield instead of down toward the mirror (hope that makes some sense?) then flipped the visor down and velcroed it to the part that screws to the head liner. This way the mini visor shades the SG from the sun. The only downside to this is that it's a little hard to read it since you're not looking at it straight on, but I think that's the case any where you mount it that far to the right of the driver. It's readable, just not quite as sharp/clear as it is straight on. I've had it here for a few days and like it. I got a 10 ft network patch cable and a female/female connector from RadioShack. I'm going to run the patch cable from the scangauge, under the headliner, down the A-pillar and to the OBD2 connector. The Scangauge cable will then be coiled up right there and plugged into the female/female connector and OBD2 port. This way I can still take it out easily for use in another vehicle without having to undo all of the hidden wiring.

It will fit up to the mini visor with the cable that comes with it, however you will have a cable running across the dash near the headlight switch and down to the OBD2 port.

Enough talk, needs pictures.

No good place to put it
[IMG][/IMG]

Final Install on mini-visor - looks same as trial install except cable is yellow
[IMG][/IMG]

Drivers Side Side View
[IMG][/IMG]

Passenger Side Side View
[IMG][/IMG]

Night Time shot
[IMG][/IMG]

Trial Install OBD2 Cable Placement
[IMG][/IMG]

Final Install Fuse Panel Connection
[IMG][/IMG]

OBD2 Port Connection
[IMG][/IMG]
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200

Last edited by Fix_Until_Broke; June 3rd, 2007 at 08:47.
Fix_Until_Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:20   #15
Honeydew
Veteran Member

Sweet. I'll go pick up the cables and do the prep while waiting for the box to arrive!! That location is the best option for me since the column has only a single-gauge pod mount.

Last edited by Honeydew; June 2nd, 2007 at 06:22.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote