www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Closed Thread

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:08   #1
E_Dula

Default I think I killed my car...

I'm a girl and for that reason I do stupid **** sometimes and would appreciate any help...

My Jetta was burning through oil, idling rough, making a kind of rattling noise when I would accelerate and then the noise would stop when the gears shifted and the rpms went down, and it had a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust--- and then I ran it out of oil. They checked the intercooler for oil and there wasn't any so they said the turbo was fine. However due to my apparently careless driving, the mechanic is suggesting I replace the engine. They told me the metal of the pistons grinded against each other (or something) due to the lack of oil, 2 of the cylinders have low compression, and that it is basically fatally wounded. It still runs, but very poorly. I'm so sad, I love my car and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. But I also do not have 5k to repair it.... so I'm kind of at a loss here.
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:32   #2
JarHead
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear. I wish I had some advice. But just sucks!
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:43   #3
E_Dula

I don't understand why they can't just fix whatever is messed up without having to replace the whole engine?.... and I've done a lot of looking around and these engines are hard to come by.
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:49   #4
StevenL
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi A4 Tdi

Did the oil light come on? He is suggesting a new engine as the cost of a replacement engine would be far less than the labour cost of reconditioning your own engine. If it could even be done. Sorry to hear your news!
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:54   #5
E_Dula

Yeah, the oil light came on a dinged for ONE second as the car was stalling to a halt. All of the used engines I have found are $3000+ plus labor. There isn't a way of getting around this or any cheaper method?
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:58   #6
E_Dula

I own the car, but I don't have thousands of dollars to fix it at the moment (I'm a broke college kid), and I REALLY do not want to sell it. I don't know what to do other then have it towed back home to sit in my driveway indefinitely. =(
Old September 7th, 2012, 02:54   #7
car54
theGAME

It sounds like you certainly ruined your engine. It is almost always cheaper to find an engine out of a wreck vs repairing your engine. the damage done by running without oil is extensive and will damage almost every single part inside the engine.

I'm a bit confused about your post "I'm a girl and for that reason I do stupid **** sometimes" Didnt women fight for equality and (attempt) to convince the world they are equal to men? How does being a girl in college excuse the fact that you drove around in a car spewing smoke and making a rattling noise? I'm not convinced on this equality thing...

Luckily for you, there are mechanics on this site who will be able to help you locate an engine and install it. Search for Matt-98AHU and send him a PM asking if he can help repair your car.. It won't be cheap, but it'll be significantly cheaper than getting it done at a shop and it will be done right. maybe he can beat some sense into you as far as trying to maintain your new engine properly so this doesn't happen again.

or maybe you should just play the stupid card and go buy a hyundai or something that is more tolerant of abuse.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:10   #8
E_Dula

I REALLY don't really care about all of that equality nonsense, when it comes to cars women generally know less and are ****tier drivers- I'll be the first to admit it. I bought the car used and have only owned it 3 months, how was I supposed to know that within one weeks time it would magically burn through 2 quarts of oil? It wasn't so bad that it was noticeable to other people or anything but I could sense the subtleties and tell something was up. I took it to a mechanic, they said it was just really low on oil and that's why it was acting funny, so they filled it up completely, and within one week the oil is gone and my engine is apparently ruined. And it makes me really mad that no lights came on or anything. I bought the TDI to DRIVE it, I drive a lot and I thought diesels were known to be more dependable or "tolerant of abuse" - I love the car and thought that I was taking good care of it. But thanks for the advice I will definitely contact him.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:12   #9
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Dula View Post
Yeah, the oil light came on a dinged for ONE second as the car was stalling to a halt. All of the used engines I have found are $3000+ plus labor. There isn't a way of getting around this or any cheaper method?
No. I would think a new engine out the door will be closer to $6(k). A 2006 Jetta in all around good condition is worth somewhere between $9-12(k). Your best bet, IMO, is to trade it in. Good luck.
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:23   #10
E_Dula

I was considering buying a used one or one off of a salvaged car or something. I don't know I just need to get it fixed to cheapest way possible- I don't have the money or the desire to trade it in. I love THIS car and would rather just look at it sit in my driveway for years until I had saved enough money to fix it.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:29   #11
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Contact Aaron @ boraparts.com and see what/if he can supply an engine for ($$). Labor, shipping, etc. will be on you but you should be able to get back on the road for significantly less than the $5k you were quoted. It will still be expensive but... Sorry to hear of your troubles.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:36   #12
E_Dula

Okay I will definitely do that. Is that his email address aaron@boraparts.com? Or his name/website?
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:39   #13
FlyTDI Guy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.5/44/41

Contact info should be on his website, www.boraparts.com. IF you have trouble PM me and I'll give you his phone #.

'01 Jetta GLS, 5 sp, Black on Black, Leather, Sun Roof, MFSW, Monsoon, Cold Weather Pkg., Full LED interior, always a work in progress
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:46   #14
Conrad -JSW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Dula View Post
I REALLY don't really care about all of that equality nonsense, when it comes to cars women generally know less and are ****tier drivers- I'll be the first to admit it. I bought the car used and have only owned it 3 months, how was I supposed to know that within one weeks time it would magically burn through 2 quarts of oil? It wasn't so bad that it was noticeable to other people or anything but I could sense the subtleties and tell something was up. I took it to a mechanic, they said it was just really low on oil and that's why it was acting funny, so they filled it up completely, and within one week the oil is gone and my engine is apparently ruined. And it makes me really mad that no lights came on or anything. I bought the TDI to DRIVE it, I drive a lot and I thought diesels were known to be more dependable or "tolerant of abuse" - I love the car and thought that I was taking good care of it. But thanks for the advice I will definitely contact him.

Good luck with your car E. Don't worry, there are PLENTY of men around who are bad drivers, know nothing about cars, and do stupid things too.
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:52   #15
E_Dula

Hahah thanks. I am literally losing sleep over it! It's definitely not one of those problems that just works itself out.
Closed Thread