www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 4th, 2012, 13:52   #1
Bud44
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 03 Jetta TDI
Unhappy Suspension banging noise coming from left-rear, only happens making left turn ???

Banging sound coming from the left rear of my 03 Jetta TDI. I can only hear it when I make a left turn, when I turn right I don't hear anything...

I replaced the shocks a month ago so it's not that. Also just replaced (yesterday) the rear axle bushings and it's not that. (that was a P.I.T.A)

I removed everything from the trunk including the spare tire. Also, the amp mounted in trunk is not loose.

I looked at the exhaust and muffler and wiggled it and its not banging on anything either ...

I am perplexed
HELP
Old July 5th, 2012, 13:00   #2
vwdieseling
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG

Did you check rear shock bushings, also your spring perches to see if springs possibly rotated out of there perches. I have a 2000 Beetle, but I believe the rear suspension is different from the Jetta's. I have just a shock and a separate spring. I believe the Jetta's have a strut type. If not it could be your shock mounts. I replaced my rear shocks two weeks ago. I thought I would go cheap and just do the shocks. Talk about some crazy banging. My shock mounts needed replaced, it is recommended when replacing shocks or even struts to replace bushings and mounts depending on what you have.
vwdieseling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 13:07   #3
Bud44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdieseling View Post
Did you check rear shock bushings, also your spring perches to see if springs possibly rotated out of there perches. I have a 2000 Beetle, but I believe the rear suspension is different from the Jetta's. I have just a shock and a separate spring. I believe the Jetta's have a strut type. If not it could be your shock mounts. I replaced my rear shocks two weeks ago. I thought I would go cheap and just do the shocks. Talk about some crazy banging. My shock mounts needed replaced, it is recommended when replacing shocks or even struts to replace bushings and mounts depending on what you have.
Thanks, I will check shocks again. maybe I got a defective one.
Old July 7th, 2012, 08:51   #4
Bud44
Veteran Member

Ok well, i removed the left rear shock and took the car for a drive and I did not hear any banging noise so I guess I had a defective shock. I found my sales recipt and i was still within the 90 days warranty. So I exchanged the shock put the new one on and the car drives fine, no noise. All this time it was a defect in the shock...
Old July 14th, 2012, 21:00   #5
que4dog

Interesting, I purchased new shocks and mounts and I seem to have the exact same problem. I'll try to remove the shock to check it.
que4dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 21:10   #6
Bud44
Veteran Member

My banging is back. Ha. Maybe its just the cheepo monroe shocks for $29 from pep boys.
Old July 15th, 2012, 19:04   #7
magnusdog

Location: Just outside the Berkeley of the Midwest (Madison, WI)

When you put in the new shocks the first time, did you also replace the shock mounts at the top? I've read that they can wear out and cause a clunk. It's at least another place to check out or rule out.

Good luck- chasing down odd noises that of course only occur while in motion has got to be one of the most frustrating things to do with cars.

Brad
Old July 15th, 2012, 20:16   #8
Bud44
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusdog View Post
When you put in the new shocks the first time, did you also replace the shock mounts at the top? I've read that they can wear out and cause a clunk. It's at least another place to check out or rule out.

Good luck- chasing down odd noises that of course only occur while in motion has got to be one of the most frustrating things to do with cars.

Brad
I did not replace the shock mounts. I will look at it. Thanks.
Old August 24th, 2012, 14:23   #9
Bud44
Veteran Member

Well the banging is still there, coming from the left rear. The shock mounts look tight.
Bud44 is offline   Reply With Quote