www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old October 8th, 2007, 17:15   #1
Racer007
Veteran Member

TDI(s): NA
Question ABS Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Intermittent Signal Fault Code

I have this fault code and did the obvious by putting in a new wheel speed sensor. Cleared the code and drove it and the fault code came back. I switched the rear wheel speed sensors to see if the new speed sensor was bad and cleared the code again. Turns out the new speed sensor was fine and still had the intermittent signal fault code at the left rear wheel on the VagCom. The wire at the left rear looks fine. Has any one else had this problem and what did you do to fix it? I am open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks
2001 Golf TDI GLS: .658 5th gear mod 245/45/17 tires on VW Long Beach Wheels, Rear 12mm H&R Spacers 04 GTI Shocks & Springs, TT Control Arm Bushings, Van Aaken Smart Box & .205 Nozzles, MagnaFlow True Dual Exhaust, Amsoil 3050 Conical Air Filter w/OEM Cold Air Snorkel, E-Codes/wfogs, EuroSwitch, Ventectomy, Short Shifter, Kenwood Double DIN CD/MP3/AM/FM/Cassette.
Racer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 18:47   #2
rynmls
Veteran Member

messed around with the same issue on some A4's before, ended up being a bad ABS controller. The passat and A4 had this issue. Was your TDI affected by the ABS controller recall? My 2001 golf TDI was. IF yours was replaced, check the connectionsat the ABS controller and make sure they're not dirty. but that's a pain in the butt. I would first make sure the wheels sensor connector is very clean and corrosion free. then make sure that toothed wheel thingy that the sensor reads is also clean and undamaged, and check the distance from the sensor. hope that helps a little.
Old October 8th, 2007, 19:37   #3
Racer007
Veteran Member

When switching the rear speed sensors I did notice that the right side (no fault side) the ring with the notches would not move at all side to side where the on on the left side (fault side) had a very small amount of side to side movement like it was not tight. Could that cause the intermittent signal and if so does that require tightening that somehow or does it need to be replaced. I did clean all of the sensors good when replacing and switching them.
2001 Golf TDI GLS: .658 5th gear mod 245/45/17 tires on VW Long Beach Wheels, Rear 12mm H&R Spacers 04 GTI Shocks & Springs, TT Control Arm Bushings, Van Aaken Smart Box & .205 Nozzles, MagnaFlow True Dual Exhaust, Amsoil 3050 Conical Air Filter w/OEM Cold Air Snorkel, E-Codes/wfogs, EuroSwitch, Ventectomy, Short Shifter, Kenwood Double DIN CD/MP3/AM/FM/Cassette.
Old October 8th, 2007, 22:00   #4
Nothern_Sky
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1100 km per tank

Had the same issue. (I made the ASR retrofit way back)

I changed a GREEN Fuse (don't remember the #) that goes on the front where the battery is, on top.

It was so odd because you look at the old fuse and is in perfect condition, you changed for a new one and LISTO!!! I think the Control Module is EXTREMELY SENSITVE.

Good Luck.
Old October 8th, 2007, 22:30   #5
lilsmoker

Fuel Economy: 53

I have worked on BMW for years and this a big problem(all there parts are made by the same people) the computer supplies the power to the sensor but only monitors the signal. If the computer nevers send power to the sensor then a signal can never get back. Check the connector for power and use the body as the ground, one of the pins should have either 5v or 12v. If you don't the ABS module is bad or you have a bad wire or connection. As for the pickup wheel moving around you may have a bearing going bad or some how the pickup wheel is seperating from the axle. Good luck!
lilsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 06:53   #6
Racer007
Veteran Member

When checking for fault codes my friend used the VagCom to activate the ABS pump and there was even pumping felt through the brake pedal. Would that indicate that the Pump and ABS module are in working order? I will check the fuses on top of the Battery and for power at the sensor connector.
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:50   #7
Racer007
Veteran Member

The Green Fuses look ok and my Haynes manual says not to have the igntion key on when any ABS connectors are disconnected. There was no power at the connector with the key off but I would think there would be no power going at then either. Is is safe to have the Key on and test for power at this connector? I don't want to short out and ruin the Module! Thanks for any help or other suggestions.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 16:44   #8
Racer007
Veteran Member

On Monday I am going to have an ABS reluctor ring installed on the left rear to cure (Hopefully) the intermittent signal fault code that I was getting there. A VW specialty shop owner on VW Vortex told me the free wheeling ring would give me this code for sure from his experience so I am very hopeful that will do it.

Will I have I to have to clear the intermittent signal fault code after installing the new reluctor ring for the ABS to work, or do you think this will correct the code itself once the intermittent signal is gone? Also if there were any other problems with the ABS would they have showed up too when running the VagCom scan on the ABS along with the intermittent signal code? I am concerned that fixing this will only reveal additional problems once that is repaired. What do you all think from your previous experience?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 17:11   #9
BrianCT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer007
On Monday I am going to have an ABS reluctor ring installed on the left rear to cure (Hopefully) the intermittent signal fault code that I was getting there.

I am concerned that fixing this will only reveal additional problems once that is repaired. What do you all think from your previous experience?
Okay, been having your exact problem but I think mine was due to the wires up at the front left wheel rubbing on the inner tire. The tire cut through the ABS sensor wiring and the Brake Wear Wire.

I remember researching this issue prior to finding out the wires were cut underneath. I remember reading that there are speed sensors on each wheel. Through Vag-Com you can record the wheel speed of the 4 wheels. If the speed fluxuates at each wheel +/(-) a variable it will throw the ABS light too. I tried searching for the posts that clarified the procedure but could not locate the topic.

BrianCT

sent from an iThong™
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:05   #10
mijbo11
Veteran Member

be sure to check wheel bearings. if they are failing that can cause an abs code as well. any movement of the assy away from the pick up will cause an intermittant signal.
Detroit diesel guild member(Former)
Volvo equipment guild member.
mijbo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 16:42   #11
Ann
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 JSW
Fuel Economy: 35/45
Unhappy

My ABS light came on yesterday during my drive from Maine to NY state. I have the "signal outside specifications" for the same wheel (left rear).

Racer007-
What was your fix?

I also have a 35-00 code under the 00290 ABS Wheel Speed Sensor line in VAG-COM, but nothing came up as to what that error was.....

Thanks for any suggestions! Drivability does not seem to be a problem at this point...and the light is intermittent (swell).

Ann

1999.5 A4 Jetta GL TDI - retired to Florida, Aug 09
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 15:44   #12
Ann
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 JSW
Fuel Economy: 35/45

bump

Any solutions?

1999.5 A4 Jetta GL TDI - retired to Florida, Aug 09
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 13:57   #13
BrianCT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

My issue was wiring but rynmls came in with some sound advice as well others in this post.

BrianCT

Click to Enlarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann
bump

Any solutions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynmls
messed around with the same issue on some A4's before, ended up being a bad ABS controller. The passat and A4 had this issue. Was your TDI affected by the ABS controller recall? My 2001 golf TDI was. IF yours was replaced, check the connectionsat the ABS controller and make sure they're not dirty. but that's a pain in the butt. I would first make sure the wheels sensor connector is very clean and corrosion free. then make sure that toothed wheel thingy that the sensor reads is also clean and undamaged, and check the distance from the sensor. hope that helps a little.

sent from an iThong™
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote