camshaft kit sources

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Looks like I will be replacing my cam and lifters. Wondering the cheapest best route to go for one. Need it asap.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
You can buy cheap off any of the tdi club vendors, i think Bora is offering a pretty cheap kit rate now.

The advantage is your not going to be left out in left field if something goes wrong from A to B and you can usually return as well.

The problem i see for the average consumer is the cheap cam is usually to rough as manufactured and needs work. I would pay the extra 50.00 for the next cheapest cam upgrade and then inspect very closely and sand across the grind direction all rough areas, wash throughly in soap and water. thoroughly re-oil and Then a breakin grease and oil for 20 minute breakin.

So if your motor is still loaded with the iron from the previous cam you will need to do at least a couple of flushes in the first 500 miles and hope for the best.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
The hardest cam we found in our testing was the AMC cam which came in at Rockwell 63. Stock cam is about 61. The Kolbenschmidt and Febi came in at 60.

We go through a lot of the AMC cams; lots of the Febi's too. As long as you run a 5W40 505.01 oil and don't have lots of cold starts/not getting up to operating temperature then you should see around 200,000+ miles off the replacement cam.

We set the weight of the cams down below actual weight to keep the expedited shipping costs down. We can overnight cam kits to most parts of the country for under $50, especially if you give us a commercial address such as a work or shop address to ship to.

Cheers,
-BB

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Ok. I found an AMC cam/kit for $100 less. Ill likely go that route but appreciate the info!

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Where did you find the amc kit cheaper?

YAH i was curious 2 .. i hope he did not go the E-GAY route .. shady sellers .:D

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
Plz don't buy your cam from e-bay. Do a quick search and you'll find a quite a few folks who have been dissatisfied with their parts.

mikeb95

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 TDI pkg. 2, DSG white/beige
buy from Bora Parts (or now Cascade German Parts), plus you can rent the tools for doing the camshaft. I did and had no issues!

jphack58

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
This is a great bunch of folks to deal with, you have several cam options as well, only cam I don't see is a Colt. But I don't know if the stock car spec. guy would spend that $. I will stop in and see them on my way south this fall, and get some ALH stuff. These cars are worth investing $ in, as the fuel savings more than pays for the upkeep.

stanfosd

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Not to try to hijack the thread, but I am finding myself in the same camshaft failure situation and am looking for a good replacement option. I found the following, and was wondering if anyone could provide any information as to it being a quality replacement or something to stay away from.

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/666863K

Thanks in advance!

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Have you read through this prior Camshaft thread yet?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=253137

My bad cam made the engine finally fail in May. I bought Franko6's cam and EGR cooler kits and finally put the car back on the road last month. Everything went perfect and the car is running better than ever. If you get his modified cam, you also get his detailed installation instructions and ongoing support and guarantees.

stanfosd

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I hadnt seen that, thank you.

However, just to throw this out there. I am not going to be doing the cam replacement myself. With work and kids, that type of stuff is behind me at this point. This car is my daily driver, and I need to be able to rely on it; something I cant do if I am wrenching on it with my level of skills.

Just for clarification, I am still looking for feedback on the autohausaz.com cam kit.

Last edited:

stanfosd

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Just to follow up in case this helps anyone else...

I called autohausaz.com last night and inquired about this AMC cam kit. I was told that it was simply OEM spec, and would most likely encounter the same types of problems as the original cam that came in the car.

Now, I tend to feel like new stock, OEM spec cams might still be better due to better improved stock/manufacturing processes versus the batches that went into the cars during production. However, I am just stating what was told to me.