Jeep Cherokee Diesel circa 1986

Willis81

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, ML320 CDI
Hello all, been a while since I posted anything and thought I would share my newest addition. I just picked up a 1986 Jeep cherokee with a factory 2.1 turbodiesel. Great interior, faded paint, but only 150K on the odometer. I had to have the starter rebuilt and put a new o-ring on the oil filter remote adapter, but she runs good. It's not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but when the turbo is boosting 10 lbs, it can get out of it's own way. I noticed that the bosch VE pump is leaking a little bit of diesel, and while this wouldn't bother me much, we have an emissions guy here that will fail a diesel for any sort of fuel leak. I was hoping that I could do a reseal on the pump like I have done on my tdi.

The manual I got with the Jeep says that the pump is a bosch VE4/9f. I'm not super familiar with their numbering system, but would the 4 indicate 4 cylinders? and 9 mm pump?

Some websites indicate that their IP seal kits fit any VE pump, but I find that a little difficult to believe considering that the VE can be configured for small 4 cylinder engines and large 6 cyl cummins.

Any help locating a set of seals for this pump would be greatly appreciated.

I'm excited to drive this 4wd 35 mpg tractor!!

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Seals on the VE pump are pretty much the same regardless of the number of cylinders. The things that leak are the cold start cover, the throttle and the pump head itself - none if which are different from one another when the number of cylinders changes.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
I would like to see pix!! I never knew such a thing existed.

Willis81

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, ML320 CDI
Took a little bit of tinkering to get it road worthy, previous owner was a bit of a farmer when it came to fixing things. I found out why the starter was burned up. 2 of the glowplugs had no power going to them, sort of makes it hard to start. Also, I'm pretty sure he lost a timing belt at one point because 5 of the 8 rocker arms had been welded back together... what a nightmare. Luckily I was able to find some replacements. He also removed the intercooler and ran the boost directly from the turbo to the intake manifold. He must have thought that the intercooler was causing problems cooling the air off. There was an ether injection system installed, as well as a 12volt defroster pumping warm air into the snorkel before the air filter. What a nightmare!! It's amazing how much effort was put into starting this in the cold when the problem was most likely the missing wires on the glowplugs. This is my DD now, I parted ways with my golf so now I'm fully committed. I'll get some pics up soon.