Newbie to TDIs just got a 2015 jetta se. Tuning options?

Lootbooper

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Hey all, last week bought a certified '15 jetta se 6spd. 19K miles. Already love the car, drove across the state averaged 54mpg on the tank! I'm having trouble finding reliable info on tuning options. It's had the recall fixes as I got it from VW dealer. Looking to get a little more power out of this car. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
Hey all, last week bought a certified '15 jetta se 6spd. 19K miles. Already love the car, drove across the state averaged 54mpg on the tank! I'm having trouble finding reliable info on tuning options. It's had the recall fixes as I got it from VW dealer. Looking to get a little more power out of this car. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
welcome! I would do some searching in the "TDI power enhancements" section. Plenty of reading there. Search "Malone stage 2" or "kermatdi".

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Leave as is for next 5-6 Years.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You are potentially putting your long, long warranty at risk. I would think hard about doing anything that would do that. It might be fun until you have an issue. VW has every incentive to try and find something to void the warranty on these cars so they don't have to keep working on them for free for years and years. Think long and hard if it is worth it to you or not. Nothing wrong with a tune but you become your own warranty with that decision. It is detectable no matter what you do. Already a story here refusing emissions work due to use of an oiled air filter. If they refuse your only alternatives are get the work done yourself (and pay for it yourself) or hire an attorney (and pay for them). Good luck with your car and welcome to tdiclub!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
You are potentially putting your long, long warranty at risk. I would think hard about doing anything that would do that. It might be fun until you have an issue. VW has every incentive to try and find something to void the warranty on these cars so they don't have to keep working on them for free for years and years. Think long and hard if it is worth it to you or not. Nothing wrong with a tune but you become your own warranty with that decision. It is detectable no matter what you do. Already a story here refusing emissions work due to use of an oiled air filter. If they refuse your only alternatives are get the work done yourself (and pay for it yourself) or hire an attorney (and pay for them). Good luck with your car and welcome to tdiclub!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have had Jeff's tunes and liked them on my older tdi's. My only issue with using him is his availability. Very, very limited unless you happen to live near him. Other tuners like Malone and Kerma have gone the way of Flashzilla and such which greatly enhances the ability of doing some things yourself when you want to. Like setting it back to stock settings or getting a tune update and such. After my initial tune with Jeff it was a couple of years before he was back in Texas again to get an update. Maybe things have changed since way back then.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf

are you serious? the long long warranty is on the garbage emissions components that hold our cars back. removing them (if able) and tuning will provide more power, economy and reliability for the duration of ownership.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Are you serious? It is against the law to remove them. Some care, some don't. Some states check to insure they are there or no registration. Selling to anyone else may be complicated. Removing them will not only void your warranty but will also make it more difficult to find a reputable mechanic willing to work on the car due to their own potential liability for emissions issues. If you don't care about anything along these lines then by all means tune/mod your car. I am not saying to do it or not do it. Just be aware of the benefits as well as the drawbacks. I have had tunes on all my previous older cars, so I have some idea what is involved. But not with this car. One of the main reasons I bought it is the incredibly long warranty.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Are you serious? It is against the law to remove them. Some care, some don't. Some states check to insure they are there or no registration. Selling to anyone else may be complicated. Removing them will not only void your warranty but will also make it more difficult to find a reputable mechanic willing to work on the car due to their own potential liability for emissions issues. If you don't care about anything along these lines then by all means tune/mod your car. I am not saying to do it or not do it. Just be aware of the benefits as well as the drawbacks. I have had tunes on all my previous older cars, so I have some idea what is involved. But not with this car. One of the main reasons I bought it is the incredibly long warranty.
forgive me, for abiding by the law in my county where my agricultural vehicle is registered as emissions exempt.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well we are talking about on the road vehicles here, not ag vehicles used for farming. If you are talking about your 2015 Golf, then you aren't so law abiding. But who cares, it is your car. If you know the rules and choose to abide by them or not that is your decision. I was merely trying to give information to the OP, not start a tune or not to tune argument. If the OP wants a tune and chooses to ignore relevant facts that is their decision. After my warranty is up long from now and I still own the car I will probably get one myself. I just want no hassles about the warranty.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
who says a golf cant be used for farming and be registered as emissions exempt? my commercial trucks, also deleted, pass inspection every time. I am a law abiding citizen, thank you for your concern though.

OP, tune away. you wont regret it with or without your emissions equipment. but don't break the law ;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Federal law says emissions equipment can't be tampered with or removed. But you knew that already and are just being argumentative.

Lootbooper

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Thanks everyone for the input. I suppose it would be wise to at least own this for a while before messing with anything that could void warranty. I was under the impression there was a system like my buddy's duramax (bullydog) where it can be yanked if service is needed. I will start with cosmetics haha.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Thanks everyone for the input. I suppose it would be wise to at least own this for a while before messing with anything that could void warranty. I was under the impression there was a system like my buddy's duramax (bullydog) where it can be yanked if service is needed. I will start with cosmetics haha.
you have 1 vote for the performance mods to start. :)

Lootbooper

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Is there any easy ish hacks? I'm a bit behind the years with diesels and a lot of my family has older diesel trucks. Ya know, hack up intakes, adjust WG, maf screens etc.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
shortcuts are costly in a modern diesel. when you are ready, do it right (or, you'll be doing it twice)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is a tool that lets you load a tune and will allow you to pull it and put the stock tune back (Flashzilla). This is still detectable by VW though, that the tuning has been tampered with. VW calls this code "TD1", IIRC. If they detect this code all bets are off. Do some searching and reading here on it. If you value the warranty leave the engine and stuff alone until you are well versed in VW's practices and warranty issues. Or the warranty no longer applies or you don't care about it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
A tune is the biggest easiest bang for the buck. There is no waste gate and the air intake needs no mods at all as it already delivers more than needed when needed. These aren't your old diesels anymore and the things that worked for old trucks generally aren't for these.

Lootbooper

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
Fair enough. Thanks sootchucker. Excited for what this car can do once personalized a bit. My sister got a 2012 gas, new back then and I've wanted a tdi since haha.

Lootbooper

TDI
2015 Jetta SE
There is a tool that lets you load a tune and will allow you to pull it and put the stock tune back (Flashzilla). This is still detectable by VW though, that the tuning has been tampered with. VW calls this code "TD1", IIRC. If they detect this code all bets are off. Do some searching and reading here on it. If you value the warranty leave the engine and stuff alone until you are well versed in VW's practices and warranty issues. Or the warranty no longer applies or you don't care about it.
Yeah I'll wait lol.

A tune is the biggest easiest bang for the buck. There is no waste gate and the air intake needs no mods at all as it already delivers more than needed when needed. These aren't your old diesels anymore and the things that worked for old trucks generally aren't for these.
No WG??? I have much to learn about these things!

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
hey my lightflyer friend, did you see my emissions exempt registration or what?????

my farm animals await your apology.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The general consensus here seems to be to exercise the vanes and actuator every now and then by using full throttle when appropriate (on ramps and such) every now and then. I haven't heard or read of much problem with them on these cars until high mileage maybe and soot builds up from lack of use (too easy driving).

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
The general consensus here seems to be to exercise the vanes and actuator every now and then by using full throttle when appropriate (on ramps and such) every now and then. I haven't heard or read of much problem with them on these cars until high mileage maybe and soot builds up from lack of use (too easy driving).

you know, hard acceleration (improper start, reckless driving, etc.) is against federal law. :p