MkV seat swap

PaulBunyun

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Does anyone know much about mkv seat swaps? I’m looking to upgrade my mkv tdi leather heated seats to mkv gli heated seats. Are they just a straight swap?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I have done it in my 06 Jetta special edition. I originally had the leatherette heated seats, I have upgraded to the GTI heathed seats from an 07. In my case, the airbag connectors that go in the floor were not the same, I had to to cut the ones from my old seats and place them on the GTI ones. Also, you will have to transfer the module located under the passenger seat from your old passenger seat to the new passenger seat. You will also need VCDS to clear any errors (I had a passenger airbag error, it took me 2 attempts to clear it).

PaulBunyun

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
I noticed the leatherette seats have a 8 pin module and the gli seats have a 6 pin module. How did you deal with that? Also, I noticed I’m missing a thicker purple wire on both of the gli seats (black connector) that my Jetta had. I’m guessing that the gli seats aren’t actually heated :(

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I noticed the leatherette seats have a 8 pin module and the gli seats have a 6 pin module. How did you deal with that? Also, I noticed I’m missing a thicker purple wire on both of the gli seats (black connector) that my Jetta had. I’m guessing that the gli seats aren’t actually heated :(
When you say 8 and 6 pin modules, are you referring to the module located under the passenger seat? First, I have installed the seats using the original module that came with them. I couldn't clear the airbag error. After that, I have used the module from the leatherette seats and I was able to clear the error. To be honest, I did not count how many pins are in the modules.

PaulBunyun

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Yeah, that little back box with white plastic connected to the seat. Did both of your style seats have the same amount of pins? I’ll try to clear the codes with the module that came with the gli seats first. I swapped only the driver seat first and it worked without any faults. I’ll check the two driver’s seats to see if they reflect the same pin difference. Did you consult any wiring diagrams?

PaulBunyun

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
I followed the Ross tech seat recognition module reset and then the airbag fault code cleared.