Transmission Mount Insert C7/C7.5

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
FWIW

I have a 2015 Q5 TDI -- So a B8.... I did the rear sway bar, endlinks, transmission mount insert, differential insert ( I did the rear diff carrier inserts as well but removed them as it induced a whine / hum on highway drives ), rear subframe inserts, and the upgraded front subframe.... all last month, and wow what a difference ( for reference our other car is a 2011 WRX Hatchback highly modified .. so we have high suspension standards ).... and I can say that it handles amazingly well in the corners, shifts way smoother and removes like 80% of the slop. Absolutely 0 extra NVH, no loss of comfort at all over bumps, but it tracks super confidently in harsher corners.... I'd highly recommend any of those / all of them for any one of the 3.0 TDI's.... awesome upgrades from 034 and totally worth it...

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Some good info here. Thanks Daemon. Some nice upgrades for me to start reading up on.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
I installed the ECS transmission mount insert on my Q5 and it’s noticeable when I’m in dynamic mode. The car shifts incredible fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed the ECS transmission mount insert on my Q5 and it’s noticeable when I’m in dynamic mode. The car shifts incredible fast.
It can't be this easy to have this simple of a mod do such great things? Reviews sound to good to be true.

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I have my sway bar set to the looser setting. With everything else equal and all the other mods i still wanted a hair of oversteer makes it quite fun when you smash the throttle into a corner and the rear kicks ever so slightly. That's just my personal preference though as I'd rather have a little over vs understeer....

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Huskies,
I think more so it removes the slop.... my shifts when I had the diff carrier, tranny mount and diff inserts were almost unnoticeable that's how smooth it got. Having removed the carrier insert it's a little bit less smooth but it shifts like a beast when you get on it. Quick snappy shifts with less lag for sure I. The shifts.... I dont know if the one mod will do it. That's why I just went all in to begin with. I have another thread over here where I talk about my experiences http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=502710

Just like you I am taking it a piece at a time... I just hadn't done anything yet and went a little crazy. But I did do all the major maintenance I will need for a while atleast also....hahahahha

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
So did any of you guys experience more vibration in the cabin? A lot of guys over on audizine complained about the humming and occasional clunk, possible due to the bolts not being torques correctly.
I appreciate all the feedback on this. I really want to achieve crisper tranny shifts but don't want massive vibrations. I know some will be there due to the mounts restricting movement.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
The humming for me was a common issue that was only on the differential carrier inserts( which is why I took them out ). I thought my car was vibrating more after but realized my engine was running rougher due to a 30 degree drop outside. Put in stanadyne performance formula and boom no extra NVH at all.

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
The humming for me was a common issue that was only on the differential carrier inserts( which is why I took them out ). I thought my car was vibrating more after but realized my engine was running rougher due to a 30 degree drop outside. Put in stanadyne performance formula and boom no extra NVH at all.
Thats great to hear. A few folks were concerned that the ZF transmission created more vibration than the DSG.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
It can't be this easy to have this simple of a mod do such great things? Reviews sound to good to be true.

Very simple mod and noticeable difference. It’s a cheap mod that was worth a shot so I took it. Very glad I did!

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Great how to video on how to do the install, if any C7 owners are interested. Im still on the fence, hoping someone with a A6/A7 TDI can chime in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCiWipyN50
I plan to upgrade my intercooler in the spring time to put the finishing touches on my delete/ecu tune/tcu tune.

I'll ask the shop if they think this upgrade is worth it. I do not want to add a vibration to my car. Also, the TCU tune really tightened everything up with the shifts. Not sure which way adding the mount would go...good or bad.

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
I plan to upgrade my intercooler in the spring time to put the finishing touches on my delete/ecu tune/tcu tune.
I'll ask the shop if they think this upgrade is worth it. I do not want to add a vibration to my car. Also, the TCU tune really tightened everything up with the shifts. Not sure which way adding the mount would go...good or bad.
I appreciate you asking, thanks. Can your shop entertain the idea of sending a ECU file to them to do a TCU tune and then I can upload it back on the car. Or does the car have to be there? I am assuming they are making some kind of software change.

baldy

TDI
C7 A6
I have the Eurocode transmission insert and ECS rear diff inserts in my A6 (along with Eurocode swaybars, metal S6 swaybar links, Malone Stage 2). The transmission mount gets rid of most of the slop. The ECS poly rear diff inserts got rid of a bit more and didn't create any noise or hum. Highly recommended and I guarantee that you won't have any regrets.

My understanding from looking over all the whine and noise complaints lead me to believe that it was the lower diff mount insert that was the cause.

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
I just purchased the exact same set up, minus the sway bar/tune. I plan to get the H&R rear sway probably (once i save some more funds) and just replace the stock endlinks with fresh OEM's. I drive like a grand pa, with very few instances of spirited driving.

I will keep you guys posted.

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
Hey guys,

Car: 2016 A7 TDI facelift, non sport suspension, 52000 miles

So its been about 2 weeks since ive done the following:
- replaced transmission mount insert (Eurocode)
- replaced bottom differential mount inserts (Eurocode)
- replaced top differential mount inserts (ECS)
- replaced rear sway bar upgrade/endlinks upgrade (H&R) (OEM)
- Muffler chop to straight pipe

Indy shop charged $180 for inserts and the sway
Muffler shop charged $200 for muffler chop and straight pipe
Parts were probably $550 (that includes replacing hardware bolts for sway bar)

Inserts - The car feels noticeably different. The so called "slop" is 90% gone. The car shifts faster even in the cold. Yes in the cold!!! I was very surprised at this. The car feels like more power is getting transferred to the wheels and you can feel the efficiency of the inserts if that makes sense.
The odd thing I noticed is that I've picked up about 2-3mpg since doing the mods solely based on the computer mpg calculation in the last 2 weeks. The temps in NJ have been pretty constant and I've driven exactly the same speed and route to work.
No additional vibrations, no additional noise, no hum. When I turn the car off its actually does not shake as much. Is this mod worth it, YES without a doubt.

Rear sway - The H&R sway for me adds the perfect amount of clean up for the rear suspension of the A7. It is a non adjustable bar.
Exits off/on the freeway are handled with way more confidence and authority. It does not add any harshness to the ride quality. I replaced the end links with OEM ones but the originals were just fine to be honest.
Is this mod worth it, absolutely the handling of the car is way more refined and planted.

Muffler chop - There is more throttle response when you press the go pedal, the car does not sound any louder when cruising at 65mph. It does not add much grunt sound. Im hoping that the car breathes a bit better and maybe keep the turbo cooler since there is less restriction. I honestly have no clue if that is true or not. Would I do it again, I don't know, not sure really.

If you guys have any questions please feel free and ask, I hope this post can help others who have a C7/C7.5.

Other Mods:
- Aluminum pedals
- Led interior light conversion
- Apple car play integration (OEM)
- Cubby pockets for door trim
- puddle light "quattro" upgrade

Last edited: