www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 4th, 2019, 11:55   #1726
Discovery
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montréal
Default

Did the DSG oil change, first one was made by the dealer before I bought the car.

I wanted to be able to do it myself, so I can do it once a year.



Bought the tool for bottom fill, the fill hole was waaaaay to small. Took 1h for 1liter (-9c outside)
Decided to use the top fill method, from the filter hole.
Took 20min per liter. Did the engine oil change meanwhile.

Started the car on jack stand, waited for it to reach 35c like specified.



Removed drain plug, waited for excess to flush. That part was shady, laying under a running car...

From there everything went smoothly, I used the opportunity to remove all the plastic protector pan for the next step on the next day....

I want to keep this car for many year, and I don't want it "repaired" when rust WILL appear.

Everything rust on salty Quebec road.

https://youtu.be/ElsrN0NnBgc

Oil for inner panel, grease for exposed area.

Reinstalled the plastic pan today, she good to go!

Last edited by Discovery; December 4th, 2019 at 16:05.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 06:48   #1727
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member
 
GreenLantern_TDI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Iowa
Fuel Economy: Mid 40s
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Did the DSG oil change, first one was made by the dealer before I bought the car.

I wanted to be able to do it myself, so I can do it once a year.



Bought the tool for bottom fill, the fill hole was waaaaay to small. Took 1h for 1liter (-9c outside)
Decided to use the top fill method, from the filter hole.
Took 20min per liter. Did the engine oil change meanwhile.

Started the car on jack stand, waited for it to reach 35c like specified.



Removed drain plug, waited for excess to flush. That part was shady, laying under a running car...

From there everything went smoothly, I used the opportunity to remove all the plastic protector pan for the next step on the next day....

I want to keep this car for many year, and I don't want it "repaired" when rust WILL appear.

Everything rust on salty Quebec road.

https://youtu.be/ElsrN0NnBgc

Oil for inner panel, grease for exposed area.

Reinstalled the plastic pan today, she good to go!
Preheating oil to 140ish degrees helps the top fill method. It takes 5 min per liter that way. I always just put all 5 liters in with new filter doing top fill. Easy and no BS.
__________________
2015 Golf SEL. Malone DSG Tune. H6 AGM East Penn Battery. Frost Heater. Ares Skid Plate. Fumoto Valve. PentoIII.
GreenLantern_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 07:34   #1728
740GLE
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NH
Default

That and if you're filling from the bottom, leave the filter off it doubles up as a vent and I had much faster flowing that way (the stock vent is kinda of restrictive).

I leave the bottom fill tool connected and to a container while it gets up to temp, that way you can drain the excess back into the container, no splashing and you can really make sure it's full. Only down side is my fill tool doesn't have a slip ring coupler so the hose gets all twisted up when unthreading.

Either way a nice project and good time of year to do it.
__________________
Hers: 2015 Passat SEL (NOS) w/ VW fix and Malone Stage 2.
His: 2017 Alltrack SE, waiting for TSI to TDI conversion kits to be released.
Bought back 2010 Sedan, cog swapper, build date 07/09, BB 6/7/16. 2012 Passat, Roof+Nav, build date 05/12, BB 7/11
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 10:24   #1729
paperthin
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Toronto
TDI(s): 15 A3 TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern_TDI View Post
Preheating oil to 140ish degrees helps the top fill method. It takes 5 min per liter that way. I always just put all 5 liters in with new filter doing top fill. Easy and no BS.
Good tips.
__________________
2009 Jetta TDI (bought back), 2015 A3 TDI (current)
paperthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 11:53   #1730
jonah111
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford, MI
TDI(s): 2015 Golf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post

Oil for inner panel, grease for exposed area.

Reinstalled the plastic pan today, she good to go!
What type of oil & grease did you use? Our Michigan roads are almost as bad and I'd like to slow down the corrosion if possible.
jonah111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 15:37   #1731
Discovery
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montréal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah111 View Post
What type of oil & grease did you use? Our Michigan roads are almost as bad and I'd like to slow down the corrosion if possible.
I had it done by a nearby garage, they kept the car inside for the night so it can melt/dry and they did it morning after. Forgot to ask the brand.

They still miss some spot.
They won't remove plastic plastic skid plate. I forgot to remove one, they didn't spray there at all.

https://youtu.be/Gw_0Df9udU0

Might do it myself next year.

Last edited by Discovery; December 5th, 2019 at 15:55.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 23:06   #1732
Nuje
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Island near Vancouver
Default

I'd be more concerned about the parts that are NOT exposed, but yet get the salt-water treatment. There's a sponge behind the plastic wheel-well liners that stays nice and soggy.
(Second photo is me squeezing water out of the "sponge" sound deadener...three good squeezes and I could still get liquid muck out of it...and this was after ~10days of dry weather).



__________________

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, Adaptive Cruise retrofit
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16   #1733
1854sailor
Resident Curmudgeon
 
1854sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Default

Will VW never learn about using sponge as a sound deadener? With their 12 year rust warranty, those sponges have probably cost them millions...
__________________
Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.
-George Bernard Shaw
1854sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:29   #1734
ProfBrown
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: So Cal
Fuel Economy: In the sig
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1854sailor View Post
Will VW never learn about using sponge as a sound deadener? With their 12 year rust warranty, those sponges have probably cost them millions...


A lot of companies use sponges like that for sound dampening. Probably cheaper for them to use the sponge than like dynamat. Since not all cars go to places where rust is an issue.

Gm uses a mesh type material for sound dampening as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 GSW TDI SE DSG

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:30   #1735
740GLE
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NH
Default

that and VW cut their corrosion warranty to 120K or 12 years or something like that, previous it was unlimited mileage and 12 years.
__________________
Hers: 2015 Passat SEL (NOS) w/ VW fix and Malone Stage 2.
His: 2017 Alltrack SE, waiting for TSI to TDI conversion kits to be released.
Bought back 2010 Sedan, cog swapper, build date 07/09, BB 6/7/16. 2012 Passat, Roof+Nav, build date 05/12, BB 7/11
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New mk7 features not highlighted. 03_01_TDI VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) 45 October 16th, 2015 19:37
Took a Mk7 GTI for a drive today... Nuje VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) 1 July 23rd, 2014 14:51
Golf Mk7 Tfinn VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) 11 August 29th, 2013 10:02
MK7 2014 Golf elitegunslinger VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) 29 September 10th, 2012 11:55


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.16458 seconds with 10 queries
[Output: 105.40 Kb. compressed to 90.49 Kb. by saving 14.92 Kb. (14.15%)]