ALH Jetta shut of and now cranks but won’t start. Need help!!!

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
Have a 2002 alh jetta manual.

The problem I’m having is that I started the car to let if warm up for a few minutes went inside my house and when I came back out the car wasn’t running anymore.

So I was think this it possibly ran out of fuel sense I’ve been have a issue lately with the cluster not fully working.

I went ahead and put two gallons of diesel in it and put some fuel fuel filter from the t-fitting

Then I cracked the nuts on the top of one of the injectors and saw a few bubbles and little bit of fuel come while cranking tightened up the buy and tried to start it and still nothing. Even did that same process for all for injectors and still just cranks but not start

Also check the ohm reading on the fuel sender under the back seat and getting about 150 ohms I don’t know that related to my problem or not but checked it anyways.

Any time to help of direction towards getting this thing started would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you actually ran out of fuel you will likely need to pre-fill the fuel filter to overflowing to get prime established again.

Even better would be to use a vacuum pump to draw fuel thru the filter all the way to the pump itself. As the pumps get older they are less able to prime when dry.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
It sounds like the ECU is getting power if you're getting fuel, but a quick easy check of the 109 relay is make sure the check engine light is on when the key is in the "on" position.

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
The thing is I’m not 100% sure it’s ran o it of fuel i just started the car it let it idle and a like 10 mins later it died

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
If you actually ran out of fuel you will likely need to pre-fill the fuel filter to overflowing to get prime established again.

Even better would be to use a vacuum pump to draw fuel thru the filter all the way to the pump itself. As the pumps get older they are less able to prime when dry.

What lines exactly would be the best place for a vacuum pump ?

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
It sounds like the ECU is getting power if you're getting fuel, but a quick easy check of the 109 relay is make sure the check engine light is on when the key is in the "on" position.

Defiantly a thing I’ll have to check

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Also you should check the condition and tension of the TB. Not to be an alarmist, but whenever there is a stopped running for no apparent reason event, it's one of those things to check out completely before doing a bunch of cranking trying to start a DOA engine. That can just make a bad situation worse. Make sure the cam and IP sprockets are turning along with the crank sprocket and all is well along the entire belt path. If teeth strip off the belt at the crank sprocket it can be rather difficult to see until its rotated.

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
In finally got it started. Sprayed so starting fluid in the in take and got it started and it’s all good to to go for now.

Thank you for everyone’s feedback

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Please don't spray starting fluid into these things! If the glow plugs cycle you can blow things up!

For anyone who comes along and reads this posting... Some bubbles from a cracked injector indicates a lack of fuel. You have to do a lot of cranking (only for 10 seconds or so and then rest for a minute or so to allow the starter to cool down) before you get the fuel fully charged. I'll crack two injectors: wrap rags everywhere so that you don't spew fuel all over the place.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, that's right, fuel will spray out the loose injector nut, messy.
So you likely have a small leak in the fuel system somewhere, lets hope it's not the pump.