Bushing on shift tower worn out??

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I recently noticed my shifter acting up and did adjust the linkages according to the 'How to's' but it wasn't much better. Noticed some slop on the linkages on top of the tranny, so I replaced the Shift linkage(The one with the white square shaped bushing). Readjusted the linkaged, same problem. A friend finally noticed a lot of play on the shaft of the shift tower. Started to have a look and it seems there is a bushing in there that has worn well beyond spec, but I don't think there is a replacement part that VW would sell separate from a new complete tower.
I'll try posting this pic, and draw an arrow to where it is.

Please ignore the red arrow, its a borrowed picture.

Anyhow the black arrow pointing to "Here!" is where the shaft heads downwards, and there is noticeable slop there.
Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Hacksaw blade, cut through it length ways carefully and it just pops out. I found that out the hard way lol :D

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Also... if the counterweight is loose it's not necessarily due to the bushings; it could also be due to the nut holding it in place flattening out and allowing play. To fix this just put a washer with a large inner diameter underneath it.

Btw if the bushings are disintegrated then replacing them is only part of the solution since the gear selector (shift rod) is probably pitted and needs to be replaced as well.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Btw if the bushings are disintegrated then replacing them is only part of the solution since the gear selector (shift rod) is probably pitted and needs to be replaced as well.

In an ideal world where it wasn't so expensive. The main damage is on that cup part though and not the shaft. There's a sprung loaded ball bearing that runs round the cup into different grooves and it tends to dry out and make it's own grooves. Can't say it's had a big impact on my car though, mostly just that bearing sleeve causing stiff side to side movement and a bit of extra sloppiness.