New Bilstein rear shocks and mounts, now knocking noise?

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
Earlier this year I replaced my rear shocks and shock mounts with Bilstein sport shocks. The rear shock mounts are new from Rein and I purchased all parts from a good supporting vendor here on the forum. Ever since I have installed the rear suspension parts I get a knocking noise over bumps. It wasn't as bad when it was hot out during the summer, but now with the cooler weather the knocking is more prevalent. I removed the shocks and mounts to make sure everything was tight and reinstalled to the Bentley manual specifications. No change in noise. I recently just replaced the original rear axle beam bushings with the Seat Cupra R bushings suspecting that could be the cause. Knocking noise is still there with no change.

My question is, is the noise coming from the rear shocks or shock mounts? Is there a way to diagnose either one without throwing parts at it?

Jeff

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
I am having the exact same issue in my ALH golf. Installed Bilstein Sport shocks on the rear with new upper mounts and now there is a clunking on the left side going over bumps. I have had the car on a hoist multiple times wiggling anything I could think of to find the noise and re-torqued with one person in the car. Its driving me nuts

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
You say over bumps, I had a similar issue when I did my lift originally. My shocks weren't long enough and I had to make brackets to move the lower shock mount up 2 inches to match the lift. So does it knock at the bottom of the bump or at the top?
And I remember those Cupra bushings needing to be clocked.

You didn't get lowering shocks on accident, by your mistake, or the retailers did you? Check part numbers

Last edited:

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
I notice it most over manhole covers, railroad tracks or other small "sharp" holes in road. Bushings were installed in the correct orientation per Bentley manual. Noise is for sure coming from rear shocks/mounts, just trying to figure out which one. Springs are stock front and rear. I purchased all the parts from IDparts, I will check the part #'s to verify they are not for lowering springs.

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
This is what my order from IDparts said...

1 x Bilstein TC Sport Strut and Shock Set (A4 Sport Springs)

Looks like the shocks are for lowering springs? If so, looks like I will be ordering some standard shocks in the rear.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
This is what my order from IDparts said...

1 x Bilstein TC Sport Strut and Shock Set (A4 Sport Springs)

Looks like the shocks are for lowering springs? If so, looks like I will be ordering some standard shocks in the rear.
I see no part numbers to check, have you?

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
The first time I changed my rear shocks I had a knocking noise a few days/weeks later. The top nut that holds the shock into the top mount had come every so slightly loose and was causing a knocking.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Did the springs move during installation, I had to reclock one a couple times to stop a noise in mine

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
There are only so many things involved in the entirety of the rear suspension. Shocks, mounts and springs. Make sure the shocks are not sloppy in the mounts, or over extending. Are the springs securely seated and turned so they sit well in their seat?

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
Bilstein Strur/Shock part # from ID parts...

OEM # VNE4575_BNE2917
Man. # 1J0413031DQ_1J9513025A

Springs are seated well and clocked correctly. I am going to pull the shock mounts off again and replace just a mount to see if the noise goes away.

5SP TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI, DSG.
Just a follow-up to this post, I dealt with this knocking noise for over a year and the past few months it was worsening and would rattle on the smallest imperfections in the road. I purchased 2 new rear upper mounts through IDparts and installed today. Noise is completely gone!!! The original mounts were also purchased through IDparts but the brand was Rein. These new ones are Sachs and the internal bushing is completely different compared to the old Rein mounts. All mounts are not created equal apparently. Hope this helps someone out with similar issues.

Jeff

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Just a follow-up to this post, I dealt with this knocking noise for over a year and the past few months it was worsening and would rattle on the smallest imperfections in the road. I purchased 2 new rear upper mounts through IDparts and installed today. Noise is completely gone!!! The original mounts were also purchased through IDparts but the brand was Rein. These new ones are Sachs and the internal bushing is completely different compared to the old Rein mounts. All mounts are not created equal apparently. Hope this helps someone out with similar issues.

Jeff
This might help me out. I'm having the same damn issue and I only did the suspensions swap a couple of months ago. I'm not gonna be happy if I have to swap brand new mounts again. My mounts were also purchased thru a reputable vendor. Looks like I may be dropping the rears again...

Oh and the Cupra bushings do not have to be clocked like the OEM ones as they are "solid", but it doesn't hurt to mark the OEM coming out and clocking them in the same orientation.