NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
Yes VoA, stand up and behind your product and workmanship!

Four failures in four months. This is a repeat failure with my diesel fuel system. I previously reported the first two occurrences on the highway safety site and then again as detailed below. Volkswagen of America has now replaced my entire fuel system including the tank. This was only after repeated requests after four times to dealer for service for this issue--total time my car was in for service was 45 days over July through Oct. 19, 2012.

I was aware of the fuel pump failure after researching glow plug light flashing tdi and limp mode immediately upon the first time the lights started to flash on July 6, 2012. I went to dealer and they could not diagnose the problem. I research #flashing glow plug# and #limpmode# #TDI# and discovered this site.

July 17 it happened again they found metal shards in the fuel filter and replaced the high pressure fuel pump. I requested they replace entire fuel system, explaining to the voa customer care person about the HPFP failure situation, that metal shards go throughout the system. Still denied. Picked up my car on july 31 (after 15 days in shop).

On Sept. 17 warning lights/limpmode again. I again request they replace entire fuel system. No, only the pump in the tank. I fax 37 pages documenting HPFP failures and remedy of replacing entire fuel system to Michele, request extended warranty, stress my car is a ticking time bomb, just waiting for the fuel rail to go bad next. She agrees to a 1 year/12k warranty on work done. Which is standard…nothing special (which I didn’t know). Pick up car Sept. 28 (12 days in shop).

Four days later on Oct. 2, again warning lights/limp mode. Back to dealer, again request vofa to replace fuel system. No, only the fuel rail. Dealer replaces fuel rail, takes for a test drive and it failed on them. Finally voa agrees to replace the fuel system...but not the tank. Only clean the tank. I request new tank, Volkswagen of American tells me I can go inspect the cleaned out tank...how will I see inside the tank...voa cust service tells me then I better bring a flash light. Mind you I was dealing with the same cust serv rep Michele the entire time. They decide to replace tank. Pick car up Oct. 19 (after 18 days in shop).

Waiting for it to happen again. Only a matter of time and hope I don't get in accident due to it. Very stressful. So I call VoA again early last week, request to talk to a ‘supervisor’. Get Elaine, who listens to my whole story. I request an extended warranty of 120,000/10 years on the fuel system (since it is brand new). She says she will call me back at end of week to let me know. Friday Elaine calls me back, I miss the call. I call her back, on hold for over ten minutes…my frustration is building. Elaine is not available, I get supervisor April…who asks me after supposedly reviewing my case, “I don’t understand why you are calling.” I ask, “what are you kidding me?” I request again an extended warranty on fuel system. No, denied. Frustrated, I let out an expletive and hang up.

When they replaced only the fuel pump after the Sept. 17 incident, I asked and received a 1 year/12k warranty on work done. Which is standard…nothing special (which I didn’t know). That was before they replaced the entire fuel system. That is why I went back to them for an extended warranty beyond the one year. I saw on the GTI club site that VoA gave warranties to 2006 GTI owners for cam shaft and HPFP for 120k/10 yr. Why not me???

Throughout my entire conversations with VoA I stress concern for my safety and the cost of repair if it fails again. I question why, since the fuel system is brand new, won’t they give me an extended warranty, why won’t they stand behind their product and repair.

I am in my car for two hours a day in commute to work. Every time I get in my car I think about this and I worry. I can’t stop thinking about it. I am so frustrated
Sorry you are having to go through this. Stories like yours prove that VW's marketing campaign about improving customer service has no substance.

VW CR reps reflect the true policies of the company.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Since this unusual situation couldn't happen to anyone else, what would it cost VW, in the grand scheme, to step up to the plate and warranty her fuel system for as long as she owns the car? No one should have to go through this kind of anguish. I guess a slick ad campaign is more important than taking care of customers.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
While I have no "skin in the game", (thanks to this site), I would recommend to Amy to trade the car while she has no new issue. I would not put much faith in the way the VW dealer pieced together the HPFP fix or from the responses from Corporate.

FWIW, I am reading about this issue with the hope that VW comes up with a robust fix for this pump, then I may buy the car and retire my ALH.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Is this the same dealer each time?? There is something seriously wrong here.......\
As far as I know we have not heard of more than 2 fails on any one car....

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Is this the same dealer each time?? There is something seriously wrong here.......\
As far as I know we have not heard of more than 2 fails on any one car....
I'll bet most that had 2 failures got rid of the car.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
Same dealer, VoA, would not approve the replacement of the fuel system for first failure and no diagnosis, and instead chose to replace only the HPFP the second time in, then only the pump in the fuel tank the third time in, then only the fuel rail on the fourth time in....which after installed by the dealer, failed when they took it out on a test drive...only then did VoA give the dealer the permission to replace the entire fuel system.

I am considering calling VoA back to talk to a "manager", does anyone know if they exist? Someone over and above 'supervisor' in their crappy hierchy of a 'not care about the customer' dept.? I do have plans to write to the president of VoA. But who knows if they gave me the right address.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Same dealer, VoA, would not approve the replacement of the fuel system for first failure and no diagnosis, and instead chose to replace only the HPFP the second time in, then only the pump in the fuel tank the third time in, then only the fuel rail on the fourth time in....which after installed by the dealer, failed when they took it out on a test drive...only then did VoA give the dealer the permission to replace the entire fuel system.

I am considering calling VoA back to talk to a "manager", does anyone know if they exist? Someone over and above 'supervisor' in their crappy hierchy of a 'not care about the customer' dept.? I do have plans to write to the president of VoA. But who knows if they gave me the right address.
You may want to contact the reporter who published this story.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-11/volkswagens-under-u-s-review-for-fuel-pump-flaws.html

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
start spamming VWs Facebook/Twitter page with HPFP stuff, maybe that somehow will get the point across ?

Sorry for yet another Acura example, but this past summer a customer of ours bombed Acura on their Twitter page about his 07 TL needing a new A/C compressor that went out @ 140k miles. Acura good willed the parts and he paid the labor because they didn't want the bad publicity.

Personally every TDi related article I see published by Edmunds, Jalopnik, Autoblog etc.... I comment on with negative HPFP remarks. I would love to see a fix for this, or I will be forced to buy one with a bad motor and swap in a 1Z/AHU/ALH into it.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
start spamming VWs Facebook/Twitter page with HPFP stuff, maybe that somehow will get the point across ?

Sorry for yet another Acura example, but this past summer a customer of ours bombed Acura on their Twitter page about his 07 TL needing a new A/C compressor that went out @ 140k miles. Acura good willed the parts and he paid the labor because they didn't want the bad publicity.

Personally every TDi related article I see published by Edmunds, Jalopnik, Autoblog etc.... I comment on with negative HPFP remarks. I would love to see a fix for this, or I will be forced to buy one with a bad motor and swap in a 1Z/AHU/ALH into it.
Social media is a powerful tool to use for your story. VW Facebook page would be a good place to post this.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I don't think the story is big enough yet for 20/20. Smaller outlets may have more interest in the topic. I would definitely post on Vortex and link back to here.

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
I just Liked your post and will encourage everyone on my FB account to do the same.

THANKS DARREL, YOUR THE BEST! Can everyone go to the vw facebook and like my story...I put a couple up there, so I probably look a little crazy. But I am so frustrated. I am hoping someone calls me.

Next...need to write up story for 20/20 referencing BMW and Chris Coumo story they did.

Thanks for the great ideas!@@)

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
on festering

GTIDan: > The last 10,000 posts or so have had nothing to do with the NHTSA and everything to do with opinions most of which are completely off topic.

It has ever been thus on the internet, going back to ARPAnet. The failure of VW or NHTSA to do anything concrete almost encourages the chatter.

> My dealer has said ...

Dealers often lie, blatantly, when no specific law can call them to account, and nothing legally memorializes their expedient exaggerations.

> ... VW has paid for EVERY HPFP failure with some cars approaching 100,000 miles. No checking for gasoline, etc.

Then they need to say so, by means other than casual assertions made to individuals who might post them on internet forums.

> What more do you want for free?????

"Free" is not the issue. I suspect most here would be happy with paying for an extended warranty that specifically covers the risk. I would.
_______
Meanwhile, our ALH just hit 275K today. I've instructed my dealer to find us a used PD MT wagon (Jetta or Passat), even if it has significant drivetrain issues. I don't have high expectations, as any sensible person who owns one worth remediation is highly unlikely to sell it.

Last edited:

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
i agree that posting on the FB website will probably create some noise.
Eventually everyone of us could go there and just post:
"please fix the HPFP issue on the TDI" or something like that, can you imagine hundred of post like this for everybody to see?

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
"please fix the HPFP issue on the TDI" or something like that, can you imagine hundred of post like this for everybody to see?
Well the Volkswagen USA responded to me and told me to contact Customer CARE...did they even read my post?!?! My response below. I really like Claudio's idea...come on everyone get involved, only takes a second to post. Click on the Volkswagen USA link to get to their FB page. I have a feeling they will be banning me. I will have to search out other VW enthusiast sites to share my story.

Volkswagen USA Thanks for contacting us, we see you have already contacted Customer CARE about this issue. Please contact (800) 822-8987 if you have any additional questions.

Amy Whicker Hey VoA...I called that Customer number and did not get the feeling VoA CARED about me or my HPFP failures that landed my car in service for 45 days over four months...that is why I am reaching out to you. Have a MANAGER contact me...or the president. They have my number. I am sure they can look up my name and the two cases assigned to it and read up on my plight...or better yet, listen to the taped conversations...they are taped so you can serve us better!

Last edited:

amy1000

TDI
2010 jetta
Hmmm...BMW steps up for their customers on their HPFP issue...why not vw?? Nice extended warranty.

It really seems serious enough that a recall should have been issued. Hardly a week goes by that we don’t receive calls from BMW owners where one of the defects is with the high pressure fuel pump. The obvious reason is that BMW would have to install new fuel pumps on tens of thousands of vehicles. The cost to do this would be tens of millions of dollars.
BMW knows it’s bad, so much so they have issued a special limited extended warranty of 10 years or 120,000 miles on the fuel system whichever comes first. These pumps usually cost somewhere around $3,000.00. If as part of a repair you have to replace this component 3 times…well, the math is simple. I think, as they say, “the jury is still out’ on where this will go, either for the consumer or for BMW.

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
With a looming multi-thousand dollar repair I can't believe you're even considering keeping the car at this point. You may lose a little up front on a sale but it can't be worse than a 7-8-9 thousand dollar out-of-pocket expense. I'm another "no (real) skin in the game" type of person waiting for them to get their s**t right. I'd love a nice new golf 6mt but no way jose.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
People have also been bombing VW on facebook about the new Golf R's ESP setup.. It seems the USA spec car is the ONLY one in the world that you can't disable it and people are mad.. VW hasn't commented on one single post about the Golf-R.. Not one..

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
THANKS DARREL, YOUR THE BEST! Can everyone go to the vw facebook and like my story...I put a couple up there, so I probably look a little crazy. But I am so frustrated. I am hoping someone calls me.
Next...need to write up story for 20/20 referencing BMW and Chris Coumo story they did.
Thanks for the great ideas!@@)
Done!

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Well the Volkswagen USA responded to me and told me to contact Customer CARE...did they even read my post?!?! My response below. I really like Claudio's idea...come on everyone get involved, only takes a second to post. Click on the Volkswagen USA link to get to their FB page. I have a feeling they will be banning me. I will have to search out other VW enthusiast sites to share my story.
There is a HIGH probability that the Facebook account is ran by an ad agency... and the default rule is to "send anyone with issues to customer care and nuke the message". This is very common, there's several companies out there that manage corporate Facebook accounts.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
There is a HIGH probability that the Facebook account is ran by an ad agency... and the default rule is to "send anyone with issues to customer care and nuke the message". This is very common, there's several companies out there that manage corporate Facebook accounts.
well the goal is to make people, potential buyers, aware of this issue. I posted on the vw page, honestly i do not expect a response from vw, but if even only 1 potential customer read my post and decide not to buy a TDI until this issue has been resolved, I have done my job! :)

tico27464

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (DSG)
Amy, I truly feel for you. It's been said that you are a saint, and you are. Four failures? Geez--if that doesn't suggest that the tank needs to be replaced rather than "cleaned", I can't imagine what would.

I also agree with others that you should consider ditching the car. It would be a loss, bt peace of mind is priceless. I wish you the best.

Cheeers,
~T

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
well the goal is to make people, potential buyers, aware of this issue. I posted on the vw page, honestly i do not expect a response from vw, but if even only 1 potential customer read my post and decide not to buy a TDI until this issue has been resolved, I have done my job! :)
Trust me, they've lost sales... my next door neighbor has to commute about 100 miles a day and was interested in my Jetta... and without the HPFP issue, just the amount of times mine is in the shop for rattles and broken switches and panels has scared him away. (Mine has been in the shop for 3 days due to the spot welds holding the drivers door latch breaking... a 2012(!))...

I'm the guy who posted the NHTSA links... I recommend people keep posting those links and have people looking at them... it's hard to dispute them, it's a government investigation... and needs to be put out there.

If someone reads the VW docs and sees that VW does in fact admit there is a problem (to Bosch), and Bosch sits there blaming everyone but themselves... it looks bad... If someone from the press see those documents and reports on it, VW will have to do something IMHO.

I don't blame VW for this issue, it's a Bosch issue, but VW DOES need to step to the plate and start offering at least an extended warranty program like BMW ended up doing (although I think it needs to be 200K/10Y min on a Diesel).