Window left open in Rain

doubleupcrow

So last night I left my window open for about 3 hours, and in those 3 hours apparently one of our Florida rainstorms we got about 6-8 inches of rain (what I was told..don't know how accurate).

The car is wet inside, which will dry out, and I'm not concerned with. What I am concerned with is that this morning, when I went to start it, it wouldn't start. I tried a while later, and it sounded like it wanted to try, but still no go.
What I want to know is, whatever is stopping it from starting, does it just need to dry out, or does more need to be done? If so, what?
I know there can't be many things this can be.
Thanks!

mechanicalbrew

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL Manual Tranny
let it dry...there are lots of electrical relays and such to get waterlogged. they should dry out. there is nothing wrong with your engine itself (it is very protected against water). However, the fuse panels and all the relays are essentially right up against the driver's side door. i would pop the fuse cover off and the panel above the pedals and try to get a fan moving some air through there

doubleupcrow

No, 8' of rain outside. But the window was cracked about 6 inches, so plenty got in.
By the way, it is a 2000 Jetta TDI.
Do you feel that it's just waterlogged, and needs dried out? Is there any other damage? Anything I need to replace/have taken in?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
quite alright.

If the carpets are soggy/squishy, then start with a wetvac, then remove the carpets and padding. Or at least pull them up so they can dry out.

Wipe up everything you see.

PS: did the GP light come on, then go off?

doubleupcrow

You'll have to excuse me, what is the GP light?

I'm not quite sure how I can pull up the carpets without tearing apart the whole car....any suggestions?

Cindal_Jetta

TDI
Jetta 2003 TDI
The GP light. Is Glow Plug Light.

I wouldn't worry too much. I had my 2003 Jetta not even two months and left all the windows down with the sunroof open. I woke up groggy to the sound of thunder and freaked out because I remembered what I did.

Mine dried out and some electrical issues popped up, like the windows would work
intermittently. But after a few weeks it eventually dried out and I have not had any issues since.

As far as the carpets go, use a wet vac and get as much water as possible then let it air dry. Maybe with a fan. Just to not let mold get into the car.

doubleupcrow

The glow plug light was on before this happened. One of them is going out, haven't got a chance to fix it yet.
I haven't been able to get the car to start. Did this happen to yours too? Anything I should/should not do?
The carpets are dry already and the seats at 90% dry.

doubleupcrow

It is drying out, and now when I go to start it instead of going blank, I hear something like the starter making a sound(not for certain), like it's "clicking" or "buzzing" can't really describe it very well, but it's making a somewhat constant noise.
If anybody could help me out with what I could do to get this started right away, I would appriciate it as I can't be without a car much longer.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
probably a dead battery.