HOW TO and do-it-yourself threads

shinkamp

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
Fixing '96-'97 windows on Passats

I know that the windows on Passats have electrical/switch type problems, but the window motors also seem to go bad a lot. Has anyone dug into the doors and replaced a window motor? How hard is it and how much do the motors cost? Can they be picked up at a junk yard? Any Passat window experts out there? Thanks.

shinkamp

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
How To: Organize a TDIFest in your area!

Here's a link to the new TDIFest How-To for those that are interested in having a fest put together and have questions that need answers about the Who, What, When, Where, Why and How of TDIFest!

It's in the Events, Gatherings, and Clubs section of the forum.
TDIFest How-To

:D

ProStreetDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Last edited:

iantyler

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 5spd Golf 149,000
can we sticky this thread? i seem to spend half my time actually looking for the thread itself!

dmc142

TDI
mark4
dmc142

Hi new to forum my daughter gave me my car mark 4 tdi
would like help on three faults that has developed

1.It stalls at low speeds .

2.when locking with remote fob the front right hand side shows orange on front and side one one wing the rear light on that side ie the indicator one stays on the only way this was fixed was using computer the garage switched of the flasher all works now what is the reason for this happening .

3. have a leak from the near side head light washer which emtyes the bottle when the wash is used when headlight on any help in fixing would please me . Dhttp://forums.tdiclub.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
dmc142,
You'll weant to start your own thread...in the A4 section or the TDI101 section. You will get model specific attention that way, and people will see your thread and be more than willing to help. I don't have an A4, so I can't help you too much there.

I also suggest searching....many of these topics for the older cars are well understood and subsequently documented.

HTH

Tony

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Found something new that may be of help in troubleshooting low vacuum issues as I had. My brakes would feel hard and I could find no leaks on any of the lines or solenoids.

Connect the vacuum gauge to the output nipple that comes out of the pipe, or to be safer- connect it to the line that goes to the first split (one to check valve->n75, others to egr/anti shudder valves), and read vacuum with engine on. It should be at least 30", wiggle the pipe right where it comes out of the vac pump... mine would drop vac.

The vacuum pump has this gasket which allows the pipe to rotate and I think mine was leaking. I ended up taking off the pipe and gluing (epoxy) it solid where the metal nipple meets the vacuum pump and also around the wider edge where the vac pump output is. No more issues! There is no problem with engine movement because the pipe itself is rubber and pretty long and it can rotate where it goes into the brake booster.

I suspect some people are changing the vac pumps because of this rotating joint that wears out.

added

TDI
2000 Beetle
2000 NB limp home

Just wanted to thank everyone. Many times you follow a post on a certain subject and, alas, it leads to a dead end [ie: replacing NB front strut cartridges while leaving the strut in place]. I was just about to sell the car when I came upon the discussions about the MAF and limp home mode.

Well I got lucky, took out the MAF, cleaned it with CRC mass air sensor, installed a cleaner, new air filter, and whala, the car can go a hill greater than a driveway apron and it can merge into traffic from one of the short parkway ramps we have here on Long Island. I'll change the fuel filter for good measure and maybe one day look into the carbon build-up issue.

Again, thanks to all, this site is a winner

Dave

smid87

TDI
04 Passat GLS TDI
A/C Condenser Fan replacement.

Do I have to put my 04 Passat sedan (TDI) into service position to replace the A/C Condenser fan? My electric fan is not working and it has 12v at the fan.

ProStreetDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
How to remove/shave your vehicles emblems/badges. I have also included how to add a new emblem to a vehicle. Tools needed are a heat gun or hair dryer, dental floss or fishing line, polisher is optional, polishing compound, wax, lint free polishing cloth, brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol, ruler or string, and a fine tip marker.

Fixed link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF98gvfBH5g

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
How to remove/shave your vehicles emblems/badges. I have also included how to add a new emblem to a vehicle. Tools needed are a heat gun or hair dryer, dental floss or fishing line, polisher is optional, polishing compound, wax, lint free polishing cloth, brake cleaner or rubbing alcohol, ruler or string, and a fine tip marker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF98gvfBH5
Seems to have a "malformed video ID".

Westy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI Auto.
Here is another rear axle bush How-to, done by me and my mate Rubberdubber on www.scottishvag.net/phpbb3 here in Scotland, maybe one of your mods could add it to the other one in the relevant section. It is an 'on car' procedure for replacing original bushes with Powerflex polyurethene bushes, weather here is a lot damper/colder and cars not in quite so good nick underneath (it is an everyday driver car though) as you will see from the pics; http://www.scottishvag.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=24344
We have just started up the How-to section in the last month or so and already there are some interesting things on there, so have a look.
Hope you find it useful, Thanks,
Wallace

Links are dead.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
search is your friend!

Ventectomy

CTS Replacement
THread1
Thread w/ a pic

Tony
BTDT; it came up with about 2,000+ hits. After going though a few pages, I gave up.

The Search function on this site is pretty dysfunctional; it either gives too many hits or not enough. You pretty much have to know exactly what words are in the post you're searching for to find it. What search string did you use? I tried "ventecotmy", "Ventectomy", etc.

Perhaps this link could be added to the "How to ..." section: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vent-fuel-tank-FAQ.htm

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
searching tips

........... Search function on this site is pretty dysfunctional; it either gives too many hits or not enough. You pretty much have to know exactly what words are in the post you're searching for to find it. What search string did you use? I tried "ventecotmy", "Ventectomy", etc..........http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/vent-fuel-tank-FAQ.htm
yes it is
always use advanced search and select as many fields as are appropriate.
Also, outside search engines work well, like Google, again, you need the advanced features (hint: select site as forums.tdiclub.com).
http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
go to
http://pics.tdiclub.com/
there is an Upload Photos button near the right side of the page.
To make the pics useful, you want to collect the link to the photo to insert in your thread posts, careful here, there is a link created for the thumbnail and one for the photo.